Study finds plant-based meat products show no ‘clear benefit’ for heart health

Veganism has surged recently, with many considering plant-based diets for health, ethical concerns, and environmental impact.

The market has responded with several meat alternatives, promising the taste and texture of meat without animal products.

But are these vegan meat alternatives really the healthier option they're touted to be?

A recent study has cast doubt on this assumption, suggesting that some plant-based meat products may be just as loaded with salt and fat as their animal-based counterparts.

The study, conducted by researchers and published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found no 'clear benefit’ for heart health.

shutterstock_2026084667.jpg
Study shows that plant-based meat products may have the same amount of fat and salt as their animal-based counterparts. Credit: Shutterstock

These individuals seemingly had worse blood pressure than those who ate traditional meat.

This has led experts to question the 'health halo' that often surrounds plant-based meats and to call for the food industry to re-evaluate the development of these products.

Dr Sumanto Haldar, a Lecturer in Nutrition Science at Bournemouth University and a co-author of the study, pointed out, ‘At present, producing these plant-based meat alternatives often involves a substantial amount of processing.’

‘The end products can be high in salt, saturated fat and additives in order to match the taste and texture of real meat products.'

'It is clear there are still a lot of opportunities for improvements in plant-based meat analogues in the market in order to justify perceptions of superior health benefits of these products.

'As it stands, the plant-based meat alternatives currently available do not offer same health advantages as a traditional plant-based diet, generally consisting of whole foods such as whole grains, legumes and a plethora of fruits and vegetables,’ he added.

'This gives an impetus for the food industry to re-evaluate the development of the next generation of meat alternative products so that they not only taste good but also have improved nutritional attributes and are more affordable for the entire population.'

The study involved 82 participants at risk of type 2 diabetes, who were split into two groups: one consuming a carnivorous diet and the other a plant-based diet with meat alternatives from brands like Impossible Beef, Omni Foods, the Vegetarian Butcher, and Beyond Meat.

Despite the expectation that plant-based diets would lead to better heart health, the study found no clear effects on classical cardiovascular disease risk factors between the animal-based meat diet and plant-based meat groups.

Interestingly, dietary cholesterol levels fell in both groups, but sodium intake spiked by 42.5 per cent among those consuming fake meats, and 'modest improvements' in blood pressure were noted only in the meat-eaters.

'These findings suggest that despite the well-documented health benefits of traditional plant-based diets, their health benefits should not be conflated with plant-based meat diets,’ researchers said.

These findings suggested that the health benefits of traditional plant-based diets, which typically include whole foods like grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables, should not be conflated with diets high in processed plant-based meats.

In a previous story, another research suggested that more plants in our diet can have health benefits, including longevity, lower body weight, and a reduced risk of chronic diseases.

However, not all alternatives are made equally. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An experiment suggests that going vegan and consuming plant-based meat products may not offer clear benefits for heart health.
  • Plant-based meat alternatives, such as fake sausages, burgers, and mince, contain high levels of salt and saturated fat and could contribute to worse blood pressure than traditional meat.
  • Experts have critiqued the 'health halo' of plant-based meats and have called for the food industry to develop healthier and more nutritional meat alternatives.
  • The study showed no significant difference in cardiovascular disease risk factors between participants consuming plant-based meat and those consuming animal-based meat, suggesting that current plant-based meat alternatives do not provide the same health advantages as a traditional plant-based diet rich in whole foods.
Have you tried plant-based meat alternatives, and what has your experience been? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I`m Vegetarian, only because I don`t like meat and never have. But these plant based stuff, yes full of additives, chemicals etc. Why on earth are people eating pretend meat. Don`t eat meat, but plenty of legumes, soy products available.

These plant based meat products have so many chemicals and junk in them. Would not touch them with a barge pole. I like the real stuff. No issues with anyone wanting to be vegetarian or vegan but humans really are made to eat meat. Plants have so many chemicals in them that they can be dangerous to eat for many people.

Plant based diets simply do not contain all the things we people who evolved from meat eating carnivores need. Especially things such as adequate iron and vitamin B12. Vegans will tell you otherwise but studies show that the amount of some vegetables you would need to eat to get enough is impossible. Who wants to eat an entire spinach bunch. A day? And on it goes. Eggs are a great source of good nutrients but many will not touch them while soya milk and other dairy alternatives just don’t have enough of the correct proteins in them let alone calcium without it being added by the manufacturers. Added to which plant based meat products are nearly all highly processed with added fats, huge amounts of salt and other ingredients in order to make them even palatable. The study quoted in this article is proof that it is an expensive rort that is not helping health. And you can throw in the fact that many things are made from genetically modified plants for good measure. Over the last 60-80 years people who eat a balanced diet with animal products as well as fruit and vegetables tend to do as well if not better than many modern vegetarian/vegans. We evolved eating meat and if people stopped eating so much processed food and went back to cooking the basics themselves, and surprisingly enough it doesn’t take so much time as advertising companies would have us believe, you can produce a good healthy meal in just about the same time as these boxed meals without all the bad additives. And without all the salt, fats and other bad things found in the pre-prepared foods of today. Teach kids how to cook. I taught my sons to produce a decent
by the time they were 14, you can too!

Plant based diets simply do not contain all the things we people who evolved from meat eating carnivores need. Especially things such as adequate iron and vitamin B12. Vegans will tell you otherwise but studies show that the amount of some vegetables you would need to eat to get enough is impossible. Who wants to eat an entire spinach bunch. A day? And on it goes. Eggs are a great source of good nutrients but many will not touch them while soya milk and other dairy alternatives just don’t have enough of the correct proteins in them let alone calcium without it being added by the manufacturers. Added to which plant based meat products are nearly all highly processed with added fats, huge amounts of salt and other ingredients in order to make them even palatable. The study quoted in this article is proof that it is an expensive rort that is not helping health. And you can throw in the fact that many things are made from genetically modified plants for good measure. Over the last 60-80 years people who eat a balanced diet with animal products as well as fruit and vegetables tend to do as well if not better than many modern vegetarian/vegans. We evolved eating meat and if people stopped eating so much processed food and went back to cooking the basics themselves, and surprisingly enough it doesn’t take so much time as advertising companies would have us believe, you can produce a good healthy meal in just about the same time as these boxed meals without all the bad additives. And without all the salt, fats and other bad things found in the pre-prepared foods of today. Teach kids how to cook. I taught my sons to produce a decent
by the time they were 14, you can too!
yes my kids all learned to cook. One is now paleo which is helping with pain management. I have gone carnivore now. Sick of being sick and tired. Slid on and off over the years but now need to get well. Anything processed is not good. Plants have chemicals in them that humans don't tolerate well and oxalates are just poison and in so many plants. Salt is not the boogy man, sugar is. Fats like butter and dripping and ghee are great but seed oils are crap. Things like canola, safflower and sunflower are pretty bad. I pretty much cook in butter. Also a meal of meat and eggs in a frying pan takes very little time to cook

Reactions: natalielocket
Thsnks but where's the constipation story as suggested in headlines of the email?
Anyone found it yet?

I recently attended a Birthday Party for my 2 yr old grandson. The whole family is on a plant-based diet. My problem is I feel the grandson is very small for his age and wonder if the plant based diet is good for a toddler.

Reactions: natalielocket