Student loses both legs after eating his roommate’s leftovers

Warning: The following photos may contain graphic imagery.

A report in the New England Journal of Medicine has gone viral this month after documenting a “freak accident” involving a 19-year-old student who was forced to have part of all ten fingers, as well as both his legs below the knees, amputated.

The boy reportedly suffered from an aggressive bacterial infection after eating his roommate’s leftovers which had been bought the night before.

Iid3X1Q94XlacZ4PM5BYMm4-RS-fSsIQ256MYQrmDWN32_Jy5bbqPKUnBJMDpFxh2KRYfhZKdrcr-FIIUB-nDDH54Ym26PFD5zUnS7PFHQ8iTynUTgYS8zmqvAUmz15T361jpZaK

A student began experiencing intense stomach pain and dizziness after eating his housemate's leftovers. Credit: iStock.
The student, who was named “JC” for privacy purposes, was going on with his regular day when he found his roommate’s leftovers in the fridge. Thinking that his roommate wasn’t going to finish the food anyways, he heated it up in the microwave and ate it.

But immediately after eating the takeaway chicken and noodle dish, he suddenly felt sick to his stomach, feeling it shake and convulse. For several minutes, he could feel his body trying to throw up everything he had eaten before.

As the pain started to spread to his chest and limbs, JC started to lie down on the floor because he was having difficulty breathing. When his roommate arrived, he couldn’t even get up off the floor.

The morning after, the symptoms started to take a turn for the worse. He noticed that parts of his skin had turned purple and there was intense pain all over his body. After his roommate drove him to the hospital’s emergency room, JC was already observed to be extremely pale and nauseous.

There in the hospital room, he was recorded to be suffering from hypoxemia, which is described as the low presence of oxygen in a person’s blood. JC’s blood pressure kept dropping so he was put on the breathing machine.

His blood test results showed that his blood contained the bacteria Neisseria meningitidis, which can cause a life-threatening infection.

Within 24 hours of eating the leftover food, JC suffered from kidney failure and blood clots all over his body.

rKJ-e6rHEzIs8j92ygqiaCuOCRbGz2QQ82XSUdEFXMORYBBWWQto_Cyd-MwELKtEk4JlNg4x5RyUUgTUgwtiRPN7AtwoBDSjevgEEHyOdHju2vsoMp38BcgRchc-5d-5P8Stiua0

JC had received his first meningococcal vaccine before middle school, but he never had the booster shot recommended. Credit: New England Journal of Medicine.
JC’s condition worsened so severely that he had to be taken to the intensive care unit of another hospital by helicopter for further treatment.

Doctors have reported that the presence of bacteria in his blood caused his blood vessels to dilate, preventing oxygen from getting into various parts of his body. This caused little clots to form everywhere, appearing as bruise-like spots all over his body.

As JC’s hands and feet became cold from the lack of oxygen, the skin tissue started to turn purple and rot, leaving the doctors forced to amputate both of his legs from the knee down, along with parts of his ten fingers.

Thankfully, JC gained consciousness and his condition improved four weeks later. But with the loss of both legs and several fingers, his life will never be the same.

This story really hurt to hear, members. Such an innocent young man will never be the same again. Absolutely heartbreaking.

A full explanation of his case is explained in this dramatised video below:

Credit: Chubbyemu.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Liag and Ricci
Sponsored
I rarely manage to eat all of my meal in one go, in fact I have leftovers in the fridge right now. Last nights dinner was going to be todays lunch. I'm going to make sure I nuke it to within an inch of its life to hopefully kill any unwanted visitors.:(;)

It is a terrible shame what happened to this young man. That is why restaurants don't have dogy bags anymore and takeaway chicken should be eaten when bought and not re- heated. If there is chicken left from a takeaway the safest thing to do is to dispose of it.

I have read a few articles prior to this which said NOT to eat leftover chinese meals. Not heating to the correct temperature is the reason I suspect this happened to this young man.

Reactions: Ricci
There is also a lesson here "why did they wait until the next morning" 24hours to go to the hospital....convulsive retching etc etc should treated immediately. I think there may have been a different outcome with more rapid treatment. Hopefully this young man will grow up and live a happy, productive life despite his disability.

Reactions: Ricci
I meant to put this up earlier. I also suspect that the flatmate may have left the leftovers get cold and sit on the table for some time before he put in the frig. If he did this the bacteria had time to grow. I am very particular with food; I dish out the food and do not let stand on the table whether it is hot or cold. Either back in the frig (if cold meat, prawns etc) or back in warm oven if hot food. I remember going to a buffet some years back and the buffet had a huge pile of prawns. No one ate anything for over an hour and I decided then and there that there was no way I was eating any of them.