Struggling with phone and internet bills? Discover this game-changing lifeline for Australians!

In an era where staying connected is more important than ever, the cost of phone and internet services can be a significant burden for many Australians.

However, a new set of rules is set to change that, offering a lifeline to those struggling to keep up with their bills.

Last year, an Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) report revealed that in the previous 12 months, 2.4 million Australian adults had experienced financial difficulty paying or had concerns about their phone and internet bills.

In contrast, fewer than 5000 residential customers had financial hardship arrangements in place.

SDC 1.png
A new set of rules is set to relieve the burden of phone and internet bills for many Australians. Image source: stefamerpik on Freepik.

This stark disparity highlighted the need for more comprehensive support for Australians facing financial hardship.

In response, the ACMA has introduced a new industry standard, effective March 29, that will require telecommunications companies to do more to proactively identify customers experiencing financial hardship and prioritise keeping them connected to services.

The new code broadens the definition of financial hardship to capture a wider set of circumstances.

It also requires telcos to offer financial hardship customers a minimum of six different options of assistance.

These include payment plans and the option to extend or defer payment, providing a more flexible approach to managing bills.

In addition to these measures, the new code strengthens protections for customers facing credit management action.

It imposes more stringent requirements before a customer can be disconnected and extends the disconnection notice period from five working days to ten.

This gives customers more time to arrange their finances and seek assistance before losing their connection.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland emphasised the importance of staying connected in today's digital age.

'In 2024, staying connected is an essential part of everyday life. It’s how Australians keep in touch with loved ones, run businesses, and engage with government,' she said.

'That’s why it’s critical telcos do all they can to keep customers connected when they are experiencing difficulties paying their bills.'

'This new industry standard will mean Australian consumers and small businesses are better supported by telcos when they need it most.'

Nerida O’Loughlin, ACMA Chair, said the new rules addressed 'a range' of identified gaps in supporting Australians.

'Telcos must do a better job at identifying those in need of payment assistance, and provide a stronger range of support options,' she said.

'Telecommunications services are essential to everyday living, and at a time when a lot of Australians are doing it tough, it’s important customers are provided with real support to keep their services connected.'

ACMA will be monitoring compliance with these new rules and has been granted strong, immediate enforcement options for telcos found to have breached the rules.
Key Takeaways
  • New rules will require Australian telcos to offer greater financial hardship assistance to customers struggling with phone and internet bills.
  • The industry standard, effective from March 29, mandates telcos to proactively identify customers in financial hardship and prioritise keeping them connected.
  • The definition of financial hardship has been broadened, and telcos must now offer a minimum of six options of assistance, including payment plans and options to extend or defer payment.
  • Stronger protections are being put in place for customers facing credit management action, such as stricter requirements for disconnection, and the notice period for disconnection has been increased from five working days to ten.
Members, what are your thoughts on these new rules? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Fancy that. We are obliged these days by assorted organisations to have mobile phone and computers and to use these to fill in forms and pay bills etecetera and do the work of organisations too bloody lazy (yes, NZ Inland Revenue, you among others) to post paper forms or answer handwritten letters all in the name of "efficiency". And if one looks for the telephone numbers of certain organisations in the telephone book, one cannot find them because they are no longer there.

I remember when society worked efficiently, long before the internet and personal computer. We even had effective public transport, a rapid delivery postal service (letters arrived a day after posting) and adequate public housing; and food-banks were unknown. Thank you Paul Keating and your information highway and globalisation and the Liberal/National Party which has spent the last 20 years dumping garbage on Australians.

Fancy that. We are obliged these days by assorted organisations to have mobile phone and computers and to use these to fill in forms and pay bills etecetera and do the work of organisations too bloody lazy (yes, NZ Inland Revenue, you among others) to post paper forms or answer handwritten letters all in the name of "efficiency". And if one looks for the telephone numbers of certain organisations in the telephone book, one cannot find them because they are no longer there.

I remember when society worked efficiently, long before the internet and personal computer. We even had effective public transport, a rapid delivery postal service (letters arrived a day after posting) and adequate public housing; and food-banks were unknown. Thank you Paul Keating and your information highway and globalisation and the Liberal/National Party which has spent the last 20 years dumping garbage on Australians.
most people have enjoyed the garbage.

Why is it that teleco and internet providers are suddenly responsible for helping those who can't pay for the service? How about those who can't pay rent, food bills, electricity, all of which are more important than the internet? My current mobile phone and unlimited internet service is a measly $25 a month!!

Reactions: Gsr
I would be interested in listening to opinions on my quandary:

Recently, I spoke with a homeless person about their situation, and was given the reasons as such:

The Govt has done this to me as I object to being forced to use the internet - e.g. applying for jobs (email applications only), having to conform in order to receive wages via direct debit (objection to them having banking details on their electronic systems), refusing to have/use email. Previously run a small business but failed due to Govt requirement to have on-line requirements for BAS and all financial info etc. recorded. Objection to having to have a License to run such a business (Personal Training) and objecting to having overheads such as Insurance/Professional Indemnity, etc. This person does have a phone with internet abilities but to use it for personal interest.

Please explain!

Reactions: June E and Mien
I would be interested in listening to opinions on my quandary:

Recently, I spoke with a homeless person about their situation, and was given the reasons as such:

The Govt has done this to me as I object to being forced to use the internet - e.g. applying for jobs (email applications only), having to conform in order to receive wages via direct debit (objection to them having banking details on their electronic systems), refusing to have/use email. Previously run a small business but failed due to Govt requirement to have on-line requirements for BAS and all financial info etc. recorded. Objection to having to have a License to run such a business (Personal Training) and objecting to having overheads such as Insurance/Professional Indemnity, etc. This person does have a phone with internet abilities but to use it for personal interest.

Please explain!
He needs to bring himself up to modern society and stop trying to live in the 50's or 60's. You don't need electronic equipment to get a job! Just get up from your asphalt and go visit businesses and ask them. It is not the fault of the Government that he is homeless or does not have a job.

Hmm what about the ones that are not on low income health Care Cards, not on Centrelink & work hard & only just able to make ends meet ?

Payment plans etc don't help if the budget is already very tight & price of internet & phone plans brings us over the basic budget (ie after the necessities like food, electricity/gas, rego, fuel & insurance are paid for, there's stuff all money left for phone/internet when one only earns $400 per week working/wages & not on Clink & no concessions... :(
Crazy times for everyone except the very wealthy!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Milica and 52-KID
He needs to bring himself up to modern society and stop trying to live in the 50's or 60's. You don't need electronic equipment to get a job! Just get up from your asphalt and go visit businesses and ask them. It is not the fault of the Government that he is homeless or does not have a job.
Thanks for your reply Mr Chips. Yes, I struggle to understand. This person is not our age and is not incapable, hence I have so much trouble understanding why the choices - or is it just an excuse? I guess I am struggling to not think it is by choice.

Reactions: 52-KID and Mr Chips
At least all phones will connect you to emergency services even if the telco companies have cut off your service due to unpaid bills.
It's amazing some smart pollie or CEO hasn't tried to change this fact!

Hmm what about the ones that are not on low income health Care Cards, not on Centrelink & work hard & only just able to make ends meet ?

Payment plans etc don't help if the budget is already very tight & price of internet & phone plans brings us over the basic budget (ie after the necessities like food, electricity/gas, rego, fuel & insurance are paid for, there's stuff all money left for phone/internet when one only earns $400 per week working/wages & not on Clink & no concessions... :(
Crazy times for everyone except the very wealthy!
If you work full time the minimum wage is $882.74 a week

Reactions: Cheezil
Interesting article, assistance with phone/internet charges. This is all after the horse has bolted, we have some of the most expensive telco and media costs in the western world, if we look at the supposed under developed countries they have far more cheaper and arguably better experiences than we are offered.
So then instead of all of these influential people in this discussion looking in the particular same/similar direction, maybe help them shift their gaze to meaningful actions of challenging these telco's / service providers amid their record breaking profits to align pricing/ services fairly as per other western nations, ie look at US cable/telco pricing, we are a dumping ground and support these multinationals in subsidising their home markets. (There is a lot more that could be said and done on these topics, hopefully to better the latter in life experiences of these services to our former working populations that built this country, the time for stopping fleecing us is now )

• Love
Reactions: Milica
Considering telco's profits were $360 million billion a couple of years ago, maybe cheaper prices would be a major step in the right direction. Why the need for such massive profits in beyound me.

Reactions: Sanark
Considering telco's profits were $360 million billion a couple of years ago, maybe cheaper prices would be a major step in the right direction. Why the need for such massive profits in beyound me.
Hi David567, great post it seems to me that we need to direct our energies into that direction, before too many more people are put into difficulty with the necessary in todays age of internet and digital media usage that is disproportionately costly in our country compared with others.....Sanark