Struggling to access your money? CommBank outage affects thousands of customers

These days, it's hard to deny that online banking has made our lives much easier. We no longer have to brave the weather and traffic just to go to the bank for simple tasks.

Now, with a simple click, we can handle our finances from the comfort of our homes whenever we want.

However, as with all great leaps in technology, there can be hiccups that can wreak havoc on our daily routines, and the recent outage at the Commonwealth Bank was one such hiccup that thousands of customers experienced firsthand.

compressed-pexels-photo-4482896-min.jpeg
According to a spokesperson from the Commonwealth Bank, the bank is currently conducting an ‘urgent investigation’ into the matter. Image by Anna Shvets from Pexels

According to various reports, the Commonwealth Bank experienced a major glitch in their online services on Monday, 26 June, leaving customers unable to access their accounts, use bank cards or even perform simple tasks such as paying for essentials like fuel, medication or rent.

The issue affected the bank's NetBank online banking service, CommBank mobile app, CommSec financial services, and direct debits for bill payments.

One customer, Jade Bury, was unable to pay for her doctor's appointment due to her card being repeatedly declined.

Even after reaching out to the bank's customer service team via Facebook, she received an unhelpful suggestion to make arrangements with family or friends.

Understandably, Ms Bury was livid, declaring, 'I don't think it's good enough.'

One user mentioned that they couldn't transfer money to or from CBA accounts. They found it frustrating to face such issues, especially when the end of the tax year is approaching.

Several others reported that the bank's app was displaying their account balances as zero.

One user mentioned, ‘Main account says $0, last update 10:33, but of course, there’s tech issues. Just need to pretty urgently know if a $0 balance is showing for others as part of the glitch.’

What Caused It?​

The cause of the outage, according to a spokesperson for the bank, stemmed from an update to an 'internal application' which created a problem with one of their servers.

In a statement, Commonwealth Bank apologised to their customers, assuring them that services would be restored.

'We can confirm we have identified the cause of the issue, and services are being restored. Please note there may be delays in some payments as we continue to bring services back online.'

While it was a relief that the issue was eventually resolved and customers started regaining access to their accounts, the experience was undoubtedly frustrating for many.

Some customers even called for the bank to notify them directly should similar outages occur in the future instead of leaving them to discover the problem during failed transactions.

Service Update​

compressed-shutterstock_351872888.jpeg
It's a wise idea to have cash readily available at all times for added peace of mind. Image by Ono Kosuki from pexels

As of Tuesday, 27 June, at 6 AM, it has been confirmed that all customer services have been restored following intermittent service issues experienced by some customers on Monday.

However, it is important to note that a few customers may still encounter delays when receiving or sending payments. Still, these matters are expected to be resolved in the upcoming days.

Key Takeaways
  • Commonwealth Bank customers experienced a major glitch that prevented them from making purchases and accessing their accounts.
  • The bank acknowledged the 'technical problem' which affected the CommBank mobile app, NetBank online banking service, and payment services.
  • Services began being restored in the afternoon, with the bank apologising and citing an update to an 'internal application' as the cause.
  • Many customers expressed frustration and called for better communication in case of such outages, highlighting concerns about moving to a cashless society.
So, what can we learn from this incident? As we become increasingly reliant on technology and the conveniences it offers, it's crucial to be prepared for any unforeseen glitches or outages that may impact our ability to manage our finances.

Having a contingency plan in place is always a good idea, such as keeping some emergency cash on hand and maintaining alternate payment methods.

And, of course, don't hesitate to give your bank a call and demand answers if you come across any issues with their online services. After all, it's your hard-earned money we're talking about here, and you have every right to know what's going on.

Members, what are your thoughts on the recent outage experienced by the Commonwealth Bank and its impact on customers' access to online banking services? How do you feel about the need for better communication during such incidents?

Sponsored
I tried to access my online banking in the morning only to receive a message that there were problems. OK, it happens. By the afternoon everything was fixed and I had access again. The outage did not last that long, and while it was a bit of a nuisance, I don't think it was as bad as your article is making it out to be.

A bit of a nuisance? I have this bank cost me a lot of money in the past 12 months. Locking my account while I was overseas on numerous occasions for no reason according to them. Each time was an overseas phone call and on hold on one occasion for 2 1/2 hours and never under 1 hour. That was over about 30 calls. Problems with the net code, not closing my account when it was hacked, Customer complaints emailing me saying they would phone me the following day and never did but they claim they spoke to me and closed the complaint to say it was fixed.
I fixed it. I withdrew all my funds ( and will never pay for the transactions which went through after I called and told them what was happening) and went to Westpac where I have been welcomed and treated as a customer should be.
Unfortunately somebody sent money to my CBA account and I could not access it all day. It was after 6 last night before I could finally access my account from my Melbourne address. Then I had everything wiped out of my app and had to go through red registering it etc. Net bank wasn’t working either. Put them in the same place as Qantas. In the basket labeled useless!!!

These days, it's hard to deny that online banking has made our lives much easier. We no longer have to brave the weather and traffic just to go to the bank for simple tasks.

Now, with a simple click, we can handle our finances from the comfort of our homes whenever we want.

However, as with all great leaps in technology, there can be hiccups that can wreak havoc on our daily routines, and the recent outage at the Commonwealth Bank was one such hiccup that thousands of customers experienced firsthand.

View attachment 23396
According to a spokesperson from the Commonwealth Bank, the bank is currently conducting an ‘urgent investigation’ into the matter. Image by Anna Shvets from Pexels

According to various reports, the Commonwealth Bank experienced a major glitch in their online services on Monday, 26 June, leaving customers unable to access their accounts, use bank cards or even perform simple tasks such as paying for essentials like fuel, medication or rent.

The issue affected the bank's NetBank online banking service, CommBank mobile app, CommSec financial services, and direct debits for bill payments.

One customer, Jade Bury, was unable to pay for her doctor's appointment due to her card being repeatedly declined.

Even after reaching out to the bank's customer service team via Facebook, she received an unhelpful suggestion to make arrangements with family or friends.

One user mentioned that they couldn't transfer money to or from CBA accounts. They found it frustrating to face such issues, especially when the end of the tax year is approaching.

Several others reported that the bank's app was displaying their account balances as zero.

One user mentioned, ‘Main account says $0, last update 10:33, but of course, there’s tech issues. Just need to pretty urgently know if a $0 balance is showing for others as part of the glitch.’

What Caused It?​

The cause of the outage, according to a spokesperson for the bank, stemmed from an update to an 'internal application' which created a problem with one of their servers.

In a statement, Commonwealth Bank apologised to their customers, assuring them that services would be restored.

'We can confirm we have identified the cause of the issue, and services are being restored. Please note there may be delays in some payments as we continue to bring services back online.'

While it was a relief that the issue was eventually resolved and customers started regaining access to their accounts, the experience was undoubtedly frustrating for many.

Some customers even called for the bank to notify them directly should similar outages occur in the future instead of leaving them to discover the problem during failed transactions.

Service Update​

View attachment 23397
It's a wise idea to have cash readily available at all times for added peace of mind. Image by Ono Kosuki from pexels

As of Tuesday, 27 June, at 6 AM, it has been confirmed that all customer services have been restored following intermittent service issues experienced by some customers on Monday.

However, it is important to note that a few customers may still encounter delays when receiving or sending payments. Still, these matters are expected to be resolved in the upcoming days.

Key Takeaways

• Commonwealth Bank customers experienced a major glitch that prevented them from making purchases and accessing their accounts.
  • The bank acknowledged the 'technical problem' which affected the CommBank mobile app, NetBank online banking service, and payment services.
  • Services began being restored in the afternoon, with the bank apologising and citing an update to an 'internal application' as the cause.
  • Many customers expressed frustration and called for better communication in case of such outages, highlighting concerns about moving to a cashless society.
So, what can we learn from this incident? As we become increasingly reliant on technology and the conveniences it offers, it's crucial to be prepared for any unforeseen glitches or outages that may impact our ability to manage our finances.

Having a contingency plan in place is always a good idea, such as keeping some emergency cash on hand and maintaining alternate payment methods.

And, of course, don't hesitate to give your bank a call and demand answers if you come across any issues with their online services. After all, it's your hard-earned money we're talking about here, and you have every right to know what's going on.

Members, what are your thoughts on the recent outage experienced by the Commonwealth Bank and its impact on customers' access to online banking services? How do you feel about the need for better communication during such incidents?
Mortgage payment was due on the day..undoubtedly accrued interest by the bank for the delay in payment.and we are being encouraged to rely on the digital system with a cashless society???.

Remember this next time someone says a cashless society is the way to go!

We had this, only worse because it was ALL banking services, after the floods last year - for over a week.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
Big banks are hopeless when things go wrong. Make sure u have cash on hand at all times. Online banking is v risky for rich/poor and in-between. Ihave experienced it and I am a pensioner . (Trevor's mum.)

• Haha
This is not bloody good enough! With the Comm Bank posting one of the highest profits of our financial institutions, surely they could use a bit of 'loose change' to let customers know by sms that there is an issue. You know .... just a bit of common courtesy.

• Haha
This is why I have two banks and a little cash on hand because you never know when a computer system will stuff up I learnt this when 40years ago my job went from pen and paper to computerised at the time I asked if the computer goes down can we still manually write programs for the mills the answer was no there are no safeguards but don't worry John they won't cause a problem within a few weeks our 12 mills at the steelworks did not know what coil to put on the line because our computers went down and we couldn't write them one because all the mills were computerised as well

See, you just can't live without CASH!!! Technology goes down and you are......... STUFFED!! :oops: See, there is a reason to KEEP cash!! 😘

Reactions: Lotty

View attachment 23396

What Caused It?​

Service Update​

View attachment 23397

Key Takeaways

A bit of a nuisance? I have this bank cost me a lot of money in the past 12 months. Locking my account while I was overseas on numerous occasions for no reason according to them. Each time was an overseas phone call and on hold on one occasion for 2 1/2 hours and never under 1 hour. That was over about 30 calls. Problems with the net code, not closing my account when it was hacked, Customer complaints emailing me saying they would phone me the following day and never did but they claim they spoke to me and closed the complaint to say it was fixed.
I fixed it. I withdrew all my funds ( and will never pay for the transactions which went through after I called and told them what was happening) and went to Westpac where I have been welcomed and treated as a customer should be.
Unfortunately somebody sent money to my CBA account and I could not access it all day. It was after 6 last night before I could finally access my account from my Melbourne address. Then I had everything wiped out of my app and had to go through red registering it etc. Net bank wasn’t working either. Put them in the same place as Qantas. In the basket labeled useless!!!
WOW, you certainly have had some issues with the bank. I don't understand why they would lock your account while you were overseas. Until recently, my husband and I have travelled extensively overseas and have never had a problem. In fact, we have been with the CBA for close on sixty years and have only received the best service. Never, ever had a problem with them and have always been able to talk anything out with them.

Last edited:
Isn't electronic banking wonderful? Until it isn't!

And the criticise Boomers for keeping cash, but who's smiling now?

After this type of nonsense, I would seriously either (a) change my bank or (b) withdraw all my funds.

Reactions: LynS