Stretch your dollar further with these three delicious 'salad jar' recipes that cost less than $3 each!

Juggling finances and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can sometimes feel like walking a tightrope. But fear not! There are plenty of fun and easy ways to make it feel less daunting.

Behold, the culinary trend that's here to save your wallet and your taste buds: salad jars!

Yes, you read that right—salad jars. According to the food blogger Nicole Pedersen-McKinnon, this clever idea lets you save money without sacrificing flavour and quality!

And the best part? They're a breeze to prepare, store, and enjoy! It's a win-win situation if you ask us!

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 3.29.11 PM.png
Jarred salads are an ingenious way to both save money and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Credit: Instagram/nicolepedmckmoney.

It may sound a little unconventional, but according to Nicole, this idea is as genius as it sounds, and it gives you so much room to get creative. Just imagine layering all your favourite ingredients in a jar, and not only do you save some serious cash, but you also cut down on food waste.

The jar concept is also a game-changer, especially for those living alone or in small households. These perfectly portioned salads stay fresh for much longer than your typical tossed salads. So, you can say goodbye to wilted greens and hello to freshness that lasts!

But before we dive into the juicy details of these budget-friendly recipes, Nicole has some words of wisdom on how to craft the ultimate salad jar.

She says, 'Start with the wet ingredients at the base, like dressings and sauces. Then, add proteins, followed by grains, and finish off with a generous serving of greens.'

Now, we have three of Nicole Pedersen-McKinnon's favourite salad jar recipes to share with you!

$2.60 Sweet chilli pumpkin

Let's start with an exciting recipe featuring a delightful mix of flavours while keeping things budget-friendly and absolutely delicious!

Begin by taking a diced pumpkin and generously coating it with sweet chilli sauce. Then, create layers by adding pre-cooked rice and quinoa, along with some sun-dried tomatoes. To give it a creamy and tangy touch, crumble feta cheese on top and finish it off with a sprinkle of fresh coriander or flat-leaf parsley.

This concoction comes at an affordable price of just $2.60 per serving. This unique and slightly quirky combination may surprise you, but trust us, it's a true explosion of both sweet and savoury flavours that will leave your taste buds tingling with delight!

A single serve costs:
  • Pumpkin: 65 cents
  • Sweet chilli sauce: 25 cents
  • Rice and quinoa: 40 cents
  • Sun-dried tomatoes: 30 cents
  • Feta: $1
Total: $2.60

$3 Chicken and greens

Introducing the second culinary marvel that'll keep you satisfied during those chilly months while lifting your spirits with its refreshing flavours! Start with some succulent chicken. Give it a good coat of olive oil, squeeze some lemon over it, sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper, and then grill it to perfection.

Next, we're going to layer the rest in a jar. First, add the cooked chicken, then the zesty dressing (yes, we’ll be breaking the rule a bit here!). Add some cooked risoni pasta to the mix, then toss in some green peas and beans for a fresh and vibrant burst of colour. And don't forget the generous sprinkle of parsley.

A single serve costs:
  • Chicken: $1.50
  • Dressing: 30 cents
  • Risoni: 80 cents
  • Peas: 20 cents
  • Beans: 20 cents
Total: $3

$2.50 Naked burrito

The final recipe goes down the vegetarian route with a 'naked burrito jar'. Begin by generously pouring a dollop of bottled passata into the jar, spiced up with a delightful blend of dried cumin and coriander. Next up, add some beans, rice, corn, juicy cherry tomatoes, and a generous sprinkle of fresh coriander.

A single serve costs:
  • Passata and herbs: 10 cents
  • Beans: 40 cents
  • Rice: 40 cents
  • Corn: 30 cents
  • Tomatoes: $1
  • Lime: 30 cents
Total: $2.50

Key Takeaways

• Salad jars are a portable, nutritious and cost-effective way to prepare and pack lunches.
  • The key to a successful salad jar is layering: wet ingredients like dressings go at the bottom, followed by proteins, grains and greens at the top.
  • This article includes three budget-friendly favourite recipes, ranging from $2.50 to $3.00 per meal.

These jarred lunches not only save you money by eliminating the need to buy lunch outside, but they also boost your health with their perfect blend of essential nutrients. It's a wonderful reminder that good health is the ultimate wealth, and it's reassuring to know that enjoying flavourful food doesn't have to mean emptying your wallet.

To all our members, here's to happy cooking and smart shopping! Do you have more salad recipes that can be stored in jars? We'd love to hear from you, so feel free to leave a comment below!

Sponsored
This idea has been around for years. When my kid's were teenager's they thought it was very cool much nicer than the old salad sandwich for lunch. You can do a fruit salad for dessert. Also cheese and crackers. I'm sure some of you creative souls could come up with great warm meals:)

Very good , that’s my kind of lunches I took to work before I retired , my colleagues always looked at that and thought I spent hours in the kitchen to prepare my meals. :)

I guess it makes it OH so trendy to put the lot in a jar. I have been doing this for decades using the regular lunchbox and a little tub for the dressing separately. There really is nothing new!

Oh and less risk of breaking the jar on the way to/from work or school.

Reactions: Simplelife
Same here. Always took salads and separate dressing. As modern and trendy I’ve got was to buy a stainless steel bento box. I give it to hubby on days he works and needs lunch. Has small compartments and can pop in some protein, salad veg, berries, nuts, crackers cheese all separate. Lunch and dessert in one. He loves his “picky lunches” as he calls them. And so healthy. If you enjoy nibbling these are a great investment. We use them when travelling as well. Quick to assemble and can use any type of finger food.