Stranger's ‘rude’ remark at supermarket leaves mum stunned

Disclaimer: The name with an asterisk (*) has been changed to protect the person's privacy in this story.

Navigating the supermarket aisles with young children in tow can often feel like steering a ship through a storm. It could be a test of patience, resilience, and the ability to multitask under the watchful eyes of fellow shoppers.

For Lauren*, a mother of three, including a set of three-year-old twins, a routine grocery run turned into an unexpected encounter with a stranger.

Lauren*'s day had already been packed with the demands of parenting. After a visit to the doctor with her twins, she headed to the supermarket to stock up on essentials.

She had her youngest child strapped to her chest and the twins secured in the shopping cart as she wandered around the store.

But as any parent knows, the unpredictable nature of children can turn even the most mundane tasks into adventures.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 132542.png
Lauren* went with her children to the supermarket. Image source: Freepik

As they rounded the corner of an aisle, the twins' excitement bubbled over at the sight of a service dog.

‘Today was the first time my twins had ever seen a service dog,’ Lauren* shared.

‘My daughter, being a three-year-old who loves doggies, immediately shouted, “Puppy mummy! Puppy look!” and pointed towards the dog.’

Lauren* quickly guided her daughter to use her 'inside voice' and explained that the dog was working and should not be disturbed.

It was a teaching moment, one that Lauren* believed she handled with the finesse as a parent, instilling respect for the service animal while navigating her children's curiosity.

‘They are three, but did a really good job of respecting the dog's space,’ she said. ‘I was so proud,’ she said.

The twins remained quiet and respectful as they passed by the dog but they peppered her with questions, trying to understand the concept of a working dog, and even humorously labelled their own pet as 'lazy' for not having a job.

But that sense of accomplishment was short-lived. She turned around and saw a disapproving look from an older woman.

‘[She] told me my daughter was poorly behaved because she shouted when she saw the service dog,’ she said.

She added, ‘The older lady just looked at me and said that her kids never shouted in stores; they were always quiet or asleep.’

The encounter could have escalated, but Lauren* chose the high road. She said: ‘Maybe that lady had a stick up her b*** or something I thought they were being incredibly well-behaved sweet children today.’

She offered a polite 'Thank you, bye now,' and continued on her way.

The story, shared on social media, struck a chord with the online community. Support poured in for Lauren*, with comments ranging from empathetic to indignant.

Some suggested witty comebacks, while others shared their own experiences with judgmental strangers.

‘You're doing a great job, mama! Kudos to you for being able to walk away without a few choice words directed at the old hag,’ one person commented.

Another suggested: ‘Should have tapped the lady's shoulder and let her know she was poorly behaved because of her rude, unsolicited opinion.’

‘I genuinely think these sorts of older people forget what their kids were like,’ a third person remarked.

However unpleasant the woman's behaviour was, the real issue in the encounter was that the family dog was chronically unemployed.

‘I think you should get your lazy dog a job to set a good example for your children,’ someone pointed.

‘Now that they realise he should be working, he needs to step up,’ another added.
Key Takeaways
  • A mother with her three children, including three-year-old twins, was confronted by a stranger in a supermarket for her daughter's excited reaction to a service dog.
  • Lauren* handled the situation calmly, explaining to her toddlers the importance of not disturbing a working dog and was proud of their respectful behaviour.
  • The stranger criticised the mother, claiming her children never shouted in stores, to which the mother responded with a polite dismissal.
  • The online community supported the mother, with commenters criticising the stranger's unsolicited opinion and suggesting that the family dog should 'get a job', humorously addressing the twins' questions about working dogs.
What's your take on this supermarket showdown? Have you ever faced judgmental comments while out with your grandchildren or children? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I cannot stand this Wokey Modern Parenting, "Use your inside Voice" it's laughable, just tell your Children to be quiet and respectful to Other's and explain Why, also Walk that so called lazy Dog and teach your Children how to behave in Public, especially around Seniors, the Blind, the disabled, and their Working Dogs

I think that this particular mum handled her children very well & took the time to explain about service dogs. I would have been rather annoyed if I’d witnessed an older lady making such comments. So many older ladies totally gloss over their own children’s behaviour back in the day & are so quick to pass judgement. It was happening when I had a small child & obviously nothing has changed. I was lucky that my son was always well behaved when we were out but we wont mention his terrible eating & sleeping, it was an utter nightmare!

Kids will be kids, albeit sometimes excitable and noisy but the rest of us need to have a bit of understanding and patience. It sounds like Lauren handled her girls pretty well explaining about the support dog and I can't believe anybody has perfectly behaved children as the older woman claims.

I went shopping with my 5 year old daughter loong time ago at a major shopping centre and my daughter starting screaming and crying cause I wouldn't buy a toy so I took her outside and smacked her bum and two elderly women came up and told me what a terrible mother I was, I quietly told them to mind their own business and they walked off in a huff. I was so upset myself so embarrassing but she never screamed or cried when shopping again.

I cannot stand this Wokey Modern Parenting, "Use your inside Voice" it's laughable, just tell your Children to be quiet and respectful to Other's and explain Why, also Walk that so called lazy Dog and teach your Children how to behave in Public, especially around Seniors, the Blind, the disabled, and their Working Dogs
Hello they are 3 years old - good luck with that!

I went shopping with my 5 year old daughter loong time ago at a major shopping centre and my daughter starting screaming and crying cause I wouldn't buy a toy so I took her outside and smacked her bum and two elderly women came up and told me what a terrible mother I was, I quietly told them to mind their own business and they walked off in a huff. I was so upset myself so embarrassing but she never screamed or cried when shopping again.
I did a similar thing when my eldest was 5 and we were in a shop and she started up, I asked the assistant if I could borrow a fitting room for a moment, let's just say it never happened again. We have often talked about it, and it turns out she was soooo embarrassed.

Nothing modern about it Trudylee. When I was working in kindergartens a long time ago we taught the children about inside, quiet voices. It helped them realise the difference between the amount of noise they could make when outside or inside. I don’t think any was woke over 40 yrs ago.

How many times do you see little ones having tantrums in the supermarket aisle? It's hardly an abomination against humanity. Some parents just cannot manage the crisis of the moment, so, what is so new about that?
Quiet assertive direction from this mum was very appropriate, and, ultimately effective. The twins were not naughty. The are 3 years old and still learning about the world around them.
The ADULT interlopers on the other hand, needed a smack on the bot bot and told to stand in the self service corner. Some people just can't help sticking their beak in when it is not warranted.
Mind you, if I were to witness cruelty, I would no hesitate to protect the victim.

Yes, one of my episodes was waiting for the bus with my four year old. Very busy main road, lots of buses and cars at the intersection, and he ran onto the road. I grabbed him back and smacked him on his butt. I hadn't hit him hard and only the once. There I was, squatting down, giving him a talking to when this elderly woman started abusing me. I asked her would she prefer to see him dead, squashed all over the road, under the wheels of the bus that was just stopping where he had been. I've never seen an elderly person run so fast before I got anything else out.

i am over these kind of stories. why do they get on and drivel about some stupid thing that happened in a shop. if she didn't have the guts to tell this lady to go to hell then shut up.

Yes, one of my episodes was waiting for the bus with my four year old. Very busy main road, lots of buses and cars at the intersection, and he ran onto the road. I grabbed him back and smacked him on his butt. I hadn't hit him hard and only the once. There I was, squatting down, giving him a talking to when this elderly woman started abusing me. I asked her would she prefer to see him dead, squashed all over the road, under the wheels of the bus that was just stopping where he had been. I've never seen an elderly person run so fast before I got anything else out.
bullies are cowards. my mum taught me that one back in the fifties.

Children at any age get excited quickly & this situation was no different. As explained, this was the first time these children had seen a working dog. Bless them because l can visualise their excitement.

Perhaps the lady with the attitude used to gag her children whenever they went out or they were under a threat to be silent or face the circumstances later?

I'm with you 100% I think your kids did a fantastic job with the reasons when they were told about the Speciality of the Dog.
Shame about their own dog who didn't
have a job so they said.
I think the whole story about this situation illustrates that the kids were more Mature than the Cranky Old Duck I hope she doesn't have Grandkids.