Storm surge sinks supermarket: Coles tosses thousands in perishables after power outage

The power of nature is undeniable, and its impact can be felt far and wide, even in the seemingly mundane routines of our daily lives.

This was starkly illustrated as a major retailer faced significant losses after a recent storm caused a power outage, resulting in the disposal of a substantial amount of perishable goods.

The incident highlights the impact of severe weather on businesses and the challenges they face in managing such unexpected disruptions. As the community recovers from the storm's effects, the retailer's actions underscore the broader implications of power failures on food safety and waste.

A large quantity of discarded food, valued at tens of thousands of dollars, was observed in a skip bin behind a Coles store in Victoria.

On Tuesday, September 3, the skip behind the Drouin outlet in West Gippsland was filled to a height of 1.5 metres with items the store had to dispose of.

The waste included pizzas, juices, dips, ice creams, pasta, smoked salmon, cookie dough, and various cheeses.

458120419_912424487589958_224300028750852125_n.jpg
A Coles supermarket in Drouin, Victoria, had to discard a large amount of produce due to power outages from severe storms. Credit: Facebook / 7 NEWS Melbourne

The supermarket was forced to discard all its perishable items due to power loss caused by the severe storms that struck the state on Sunday and continued into Monday.

It was reported that a generator was unavailable on-site when the power outage occurred, resulting in food spoiling before the generator could be set up.

The impact of the storm was felt across Victoria, with more than 28,000 residents left without electricity as gale-force winds wreaked havoc, downing power lines in towns including Newborough, Drouin, Cockatoo, and Warragul, east of Melbourne.

The devastation began on Sunday night and continued into Monday, even leading to the tragic death of a 63-year-old woman when a tree fell on her cabin in Moama.

The Victorian government has been actively working with the federal government to secure funding under the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements to support those affected by the storm.

The damage to property was extensive, with more than 660 homes damaged on Monday alone, including a home that was completely destroyed in the Dandenong Ranges and another in Corio.

The storm's reach extended to the coast, where beach boxes across Mornington, 60km south of the Melbourne CBD, were tipped over and damaged after being dislodged from their bases by the strong winds.

In a heartening display of interstate cooperation, a crew of 29 SES volunteers from NSW arrived in Melbourne on Tuesday morning to assist with the clean-up efforts, highlighting the community spirit and resilience in the face of natural disasters.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles supermarket in Drouin, Victoria, was forced to dispose of a significant amount of produce following power outages caused by severe storms.
  • Items including pizzas, juices, dips, ice creams, pasta, smoked salmon, and various cheeses were seen piled in a skip bin.
  • The power outage occurred before a generator was on site, leading to perishable items being spoiled and necessitating their disposal.
  • The storms caused significant damage and power outages across Victoria, affecting over 28,000 residents and leading to the government considering disaster relief funding.
Have you ever faced a similar situation where you had to discard food due to a loss of power? What steps do you take to minimize waste and ensure food safety during such times? Let's discuss in the comments below and learn from each other's experiences.

Sponsored
It should be law that big food suppliers have generators that automatically switch on with any interruption to the electricity supply. I'm sure Coles will not suffer much of a loss as they will have insurance to cover it. Maybe through Westfarmers insurance? It breaks my heart to see what could have been avoidable when so many people are struggling to feed their families.

It should be law that big food suppliers have generators that automatically switch on with any interruption to the electricity supply. I'm sure Coles will not suffer much of a loss as they will have insurance to cover it. Maybe through Westfarmers insurance? It breaks my heart to see what could have been avoidable when so many people are struggling to feed their families.
I can understand the heartbreak but Coles did the right thing in this instance.

Supermarkets are making billion dollar profits why can't they have generators installed to keep the refrigerators going.
Surely that would help keep their insurance cost down and save on food waste
Fyi most stores do
Oh and you'd know if you worked in retail they usually do have generators for all your whinging about the waste sometimes these things are unavoidable INCLUDING GENERATORS!

Yes a freezer full,of food many years ago. It was packed to the gills. We cooked and ate as much as possible and gave some away.
Breaks my heart to see such waste. Surely the food would have been good soon after the outage and food charity people could have used a great deal of it.

Yes a freezer full,of food many years ago. It was packed to the gills. We cooked and ate as much as possible and gave some away.
Breaks my heart to see such waste. Surely the food would have been good soon after the outage and food charity people could have used a great deal of it.
The law prevents it. Imagine if they donated the food to an charitable organisation that distributed it and just ONE person got sick from eating the produce. A lawsuit for millions would most likely follow. Plus, the repercussions of supplying such food. Unimaginable!!!!!!

The law prevents it. Imagine if they donated the food to an charitable organisation that distributed it and just ONE person got sick from eating the produce. A lawsuit for millions would most likely follow. Plus, the repercussions of supplying such food. Unimaginable!!!!!!
Absolutely correct, the Food Authority would have been involved.

Reactions: Tervueren and Ezzy
The food wouldn't have gone off straight away so they could have rang some of these charitable places and had it picked up.
l heard the bins were all padlocked here in Kingston Tas Woolies and Coles
Exactly, or opened their doors for anyone to help themselves to any product that needs refrigeration. I know a supermarket who did it and it saved so much waste.

Reactions: Littleboy8
There is a Supermarket (New World) in a small sea side town in NZ, who has been using a generator for 2 years +, as the power couldn`t be connected until the lines etc where upgraded. Not sure if it is still the same. Will find out at Christmas.

Fyi most stores do

Oh and you'd know if you worked in retail they usually do have generators for all your whinging about the waste sometimes these things are unavoidable INCLUDING GENERATORS!
Oh sorry I have an opinion. It was not a whinge.

The Over 55's l attend used to have frozen meals which were thawed, heated & served as individual meals @ lunchtime. Some people wanted to take a thawed, meal home for later but were not allowed to do so for fear of food poisoning. The meal could be taken away & could be some time before reaching the fridge, left on the kitchen bench for a period of time or any other situation. This is similar to the situation faced by the Coles Supermarket l believe.

No there are health and safety rules that prevent this from happening, just think about it for a moment ..how devious people can be...could cry salmonella lots of money there to start with, could sue the company because it was defrosted..what you and I do is of no consequence when it comes to huge companies a lot of money could be wrongfully taken if you get what I mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy
The food wouldn't have gone off straight away so they could have rang some of these charitable places and had it picked up.
l heard the bins were all padlocked here in Kingston Tas Woolies and Coles
It is a requirement of the Food Safety Authority.

Reactions: Ezzy