Stay vigilant: New 'Medicare' scam text messages are circulating

Members, if you have recently received an unexpected SMS from an unfamiliar number, it may be a scammer attempting to send you a phishing message posing as your bank, insurer, or, in this case, a government agency.

Be vigilant, as Medicare-related scams are on the rise once again!

According to Services Australia, scammers have been sending 'Medicare' text messages to unsuspecting individuals, falsely claiming that their cards have expired and instructing them to click a link to update their information.

However, it is essential to emphasise that these text messages are not legitimate. The agency strongly advises recipients not to interact with or click on any links within these messages.

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 2.10.03 PM.png
The scam text claims the recipient's Medicare card has expired, and they need to update their details. Credit: Facebook/Services Australia.

'This message isn't real. You don't need to do anything when your Medicare card is about to expire. We'll send you a new card about four to eight weeks before it expires,' Services Australia explained.

This scam is particularly dangerous because scammers are phishing for the recipient's personal information, which can be used for malicious purposes.

What makes it even more dangerous is that scammers often use clever tactics to make the message believable, such as spoofing the service's official number or using official-looking logos, especially in scam emails.

Services Australia wants to remind all residents of Australia that it will never ask them to click on links or attachments, except for links on its website, on its official social media accounts, or in their myGov inbox after they have signed in.

If you have already acted on one of these texts and clicked on a link or given your personal information away, contact the agency's Scams and Identity Theft Help Desk at 1800 941 126 immediately.

Apart from text messages, Scamwatch, a division of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), has also recently issued warnings about fake emails impersonating Medicare circulating.

The emails falsely claim that the recipient's Medicare services have been suspended due to incomplete medical records information, requiring an 'update' to reactivate them. They also use the Medicare logo and branding, along with a link to a purportedly necessary form that must be filled out.

The government has allocated $10 million for the next four years to establish a new SMS sender ID registry to enhance scam prevention and safeguard Australians from fraudulent activities.

This registry will serve as a blocking list, effectively thwarting scammers' attempts to masquerade as prominent brands and government entities, including myGov and Medicare, within text message headers.

For more details regarding this initiative, read the full article here.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have been warned about a new 'Medicare' scam text message attempting to steal personal information.
  • The scam involves sending text messages to people claiming their Medicare card has expired and prompting them to click a link to update their details.
  • Services Australia clarified it would never ask individuals to click on links or attachments, except for links on its official website, social media accounts, or in your myGov Inbox.
  • The agency urged anyone who had clicked a link or given personal information to a scammer to contact their Scams and Identity Theft Help Desk immediately.

Scams are getting sneakier and more convincing every day. So, keeping your guard up and protecting your information is crucial.

Remember, be careful about the links you click, watch out for unexpected messages, and most importantly, trust your instincts. If something seems fishy or too good to be true, it probably is!

Members, we hope you found this article helpful. Check out SDC’s Scam Watch Forum for more related stories and information.

Have you come across any suspicious texts or emails lately? How did you handle them? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Surely everybody int the seniors age group would have to be aware after decades of the Medicare card, that it is renewed by Medicare prior to the expiry date shown on the card?

If in doubt, it's an easy matter to log on to my.gov and check the information on the Medicare card there.

Last edited:
its all very well to say check up on these emails..but try it..most companies are not on the phone(for customers)they all refer you to the computer site which brings one back to the reason one is making the call, the only way to be safe is NO BANKING on computer pay bills by phone or over the counter or have bills on auto pay via your bank

Again go straight to the source before doing anything.

Do not reply to any message or email. Phone whoever the service is , be it Medicare, the bank , the tax office, centrelink or another service like phone, Netflix ect ect .

Shouldn't everyone be aware by now ?? 😕
Contacting any of these services is like winning the lottery, I tried to contact AGL about a refund they e-mailed me after I changed to another Electricity provider. Wasted 2 hours online going round and round in circles just to talk to a robot, same shit next day, eventually got through after finding out you MUST sign/log in to do anything with AGL {they don't mention that on their e-mails/bills} Anyway, spoke to a robot, mentioned "refund" got put on to team member named Ronin in who knows what Country? he wanted to know ALL my details {sus} gave my elec account number and said refund. The bastard just stopped answering. Phoned the next day, after listening to their recorded bullshit telling you, you can find out all this blah blah by going online, for almost an hour I hung up in disgust. AGL SUCKS AT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Members, if you have recently received an unexpected SMS from an unfamiliar number, it may be a scammer attempting to send you a phishing message posing as your bank, insurer, or, in this case, a government agency.

According to Services Australia, scammers have been sending 'Medicare' text messages to unsuspecting individuals, falsely claiming that their cards have expired and instructing them to click a link to update their information.

However, it is essential to emphasise that these text messages are not legitimate. The agency strongly advises recipients not to interact with or click on any links within these messages.

View attachment 29147
The scam text claims the recipient's Medicare card has expired, and they need to update their details. Credit: Facebook/Services Australia.

'This message isn't real. You don't need to do anything when your Medicare card is about to expire. We'll send you a new card about four to eight weeks before it expires,' Services Australia explained.

This scam is particularly dangerous because scammers are phishing for the recipient's personal information, which can be used for malicious purposes.

What makes it even more dangerous is that scammers often use clever tactics to make the message believable, such as spoofing the service's official number or using official-looking logos, especially in scam emails.

Services Australia wants to remind all residents of Australia that it will never ask them to click on links or attachments, except for links on its website, on its official social media accounts, or in their myGov inbox after they have signed in.

If you have already acted on one of these texts and clicked on a link or given your personal information away, contact the agency's Scams and Identity Theft Help Desk at 1800 941 126 immediately.

Apart from text messages, Scamwatch, a division of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), has also recently issued warnings about fake emails impersonating Medicare circulating.

The emails falsely claim that the recipient's Medicare services have been suspended due to incomplete medical records information, requiring an 'update' to reactivate them. They also use the Medicare logo and branding, along with a link to a purportedly necessary form that must be filled out.

The government has allocated $10 million for the next four years to establish a new SMS sender ID registry to enhance scam prevention and safeguard Australians from fraudulent activities.

This registry will serve as a blocking list, effectively thwarting scammers' attempts to masquerade as prominent brands and government entities, including myGov and Medicare, within text message headers.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have been warned about a new 'Medicare' scam text message attempting to steal personal information.
  • The scam involves sending text messages to people claiming their Medicare card has expired and prompting them to click a link to update their details.
  • Services Australia clarified it would never ask individuals to click on links or attachments, except for links on its official website, social media accounts, or in your myGov Inbox.
  • The agency urged anyone who had clicked a link or given personal information to a scammer to contact their Scams and Identity Theft Help Desk immediately.

Scams are getting sneakier and more convincing every day. So, keeping your guard up and protecting your information is crucial.

Remember, be careful about the links you click, watch out for unexpected messages, and most importantly, trust your instincts. If something seems fishy or too good to be true, it probably is!

Members, we hope you found this article helpful. Check out SDC’s Scam Watch Forum for more related stories and information.

Have you come across any suspicious texts or emails lately? How did you handle them? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!
Seems a bit of a daft scam this one is! as the expiry date is clearly on the Medicare Card?

Contacting any of these services is like winning the lottery, I tried to contact AGL about a refund they e-mailed me after I changed to another Electricity provider. Wasted 2 hours online going round and round in circles just to talk to a robot, same shit next day, eventually got through after finding out you MUST sign/log in to do anything with AGL {they don't mention that on their e-mails/bills} Anyway, spoke to a robot, mentioned "refund" got put on to team member named Ronin in who knows what Country? he wanted to know ALL my details {sus} gave my elec account number and said refund. The bastard just stopped answering. Phoned the next day, after listening to their recorded bullshit telling you, you can find out all this blah blah by going online, for almost an hour I hung up in disgust. AGL SUCKS AT CUSTOMER SERVICE.
I too am with AGL and am unable to log into my account which is very irritating, they keep emailing me trying to get me to get my bills online ??
I tick the box that a copy of my payment should go to my email but it does NOT arrive.
I pay by Paypal for which they do not make a charge.

Can I ask Bill - which company did you go with ??
are their rates cheaper ?

Reactions: paulamc52

View attachment 29147

Key Takeaways

I had this one last week. I reported to Scamwatch.

Reactions: paulamc52 and Abby2
I got this email also and suspected something even though the email was very well done. I simply took out my Medicare card and checked the date which did not match. Immediately deleted the email and went on with my day.

Again go straight to the source before doing anything.

Do not reply to any message or email. Phone whoever the service is , be it Medicare, the bank , the tax office, centrelink or another service like phone, Netflix ect ect .

Shouldn't everyone be aware by now ?? 😕
Sadly, unless you belong to a forum such as this, it can be difficult to keep up with the scams. It isn't a one size fits all scenario, they are changing the playing field constantly and, for those individuals who are not connected socially, it becomes overwhelming.
We are fortunate in having SDC to keep us informed and I am sure that there are so many people out there who would benefit from this group. The problem is getting the word out to them about it.....🤔

Yes I got one also last week, but am aware that Medicare always sends a new card before the old one expires. I blocked the number and deleted it. Just for good measure I did check my Medicare card and is no way near expiring,

Surely everybody int the seniors age group would have to be aware after decades of the Medicare card, that it is renewed by Medicare prior to the expiry date shown on the card?

If in doubt, it's an easy matter to log on to my.gov and check the information on the Medicare card there.
Sad isn’t it,some people are so dense they wouldn’t wake up if the funny fell on them , just joking .

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I received this exact message yesterday stating my Medicare card had expired and I needed to order another one and all I had to do was click in a link , Now how do I click on that link ? 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
It is a 99.9% scam. I've received two emails in the last 12 months offering me a refund from AGL, both of several hundred dollars. The thing is that AGL allege that I owe them approximately $1700 for unpaid gas and electricity for an address I haven't lived at since October 2015. They palmed the debt off to some mob called Milton and Graham who send me emails every month or so. Good luck getting money for something I didn't use.

Why would AGL want to throw money my way when they say that I OWE THEM!? Derp....

Sadly, unless you belong to a forum such as this, it can be difficult to keep up with the scams. It isn't a one size fits all scenario, they are changing the playing field constantly and, for those individuals who are not connected socially, it becomes overwhelming.
We are fortunate in having SDC to keep us informed and I am sure that there are so many people out there who would benefit from this group. The problem is getting the word out to them about it.....🤔
With emails, my policy is "guilty until proven innocent".

View attachment 29147

Key Takeaways