Stay safe with this Expert’s Advice: Three red flags in unexpected phone calls you need to know

Although we've all heard stories of people being scammed over the phone, many of us think it won't happen to us.

But unfortunately, phone scams are becoming more and more sophisticated.

In some cases, scammers are even resorting to elaborate schemes over months of calls to gain access to personal details and private funds. This kind of persistence from criminals has been known to con even the savviest person.

But a security expert has revealed three warning signs you should be looking out for when you're on the phone with someone you don't know.

shutterstock_2227014893.jpg
If you frequently receive phone calls from unknown numbers, you need to understand how to determine if it is a scammer on the other end of the line. Source: Shutterstock.

As Senior VP of the content security, code and mobile app protection software company Verimatrix, Dr Klaus Schenk explained the first red flag is when the number calling you is an unknown number, and it's an unexpected call.

Even if they try to 'create an emergency situation' or pose as someone trying to help you, the true intention might be to get your personal information or money.

Dr Schenk advised that it’s 'always a prudent step' to look up the phone number or the company the caller says they're from and do a 'quick Internet search' to verify the legitimacy of the caller.

Another suspicious sign to look out for is if the caller tries to get you to make an 'immediate payment' or invest in something; or if they try to convince you to accept a 'free gift'.

Be wary if they try to emotionally manipulate you, too; these could be signs of fraud.

Dr Schenk also notes anyone who tries to get you to 'install an app' or is interested in your personal information, like bank details, should raise major suspicion.

If you hear any of the above phrases or just get the feeling something's not quite right, trust your gut and hang up the phone.

In accordance with several phone providers’ terms and conditions, you should never give out personal information or details to unknown callers, no matter how suspicious or legitimate their offer seems.

shutterstock_2002100399.jpg
Keep your personal information safe by never sharing it with unknown callers. Source: Shutterstock.

If you know the number of the person who's called you but you don't want to pick up, we recommend sending them a text message asking why they're trying to contact you, so you can be extra cautious in handling the situation.

Key Takeaways
  • A security expert has identified three warning signs to detect if a phone call could potentially be a scam.
  • The first sign is if the caller's number is unfamiliar, and the situation created by the caller seems like an 'emergency'.
  • The second red flag is if the caller tries to urge immediate payment or disclosure of personal information and offers lucrative financial opportunities or gifts.
  • Lastly, it's a sign of a potential scam if the caller tries to convince the receiver to install an app or is deeply interested in personal information.

We know how easy it is to get tricked, especially by the most experienced swindlers. But luckily, with these three expert tips, you can stay alert and be more aware when a scammer is on the line.

We wish you the best of luck, and may you never be caught out by one of these phone scams!

What tips do you recommend to stay away from suspicious callers? Do you think we need to add more to this list? Share your comments with us so we can help more people avoid scams together!

Sponsored
Although we've all heard stories of people being scammed over the phone, many of us think it won't happen to us.

In some cases, scammers are even resorting to elaborate schemes over months of calls to gain access to personal details and private funds. This kind of persistence from criminals has been known to con even the savviest person.

But a security expert has revealed three warning signs you should be looking out for when you're on the phone with someone you don't know.

View attachment 29368
If you frequently receive phone calls from unknown numbers, you need to understand how to determine if it is a scammer on the other end of the line. Source: Shutterstock.

As Senior VP of the content security, code and mobile app protection software company Verimatrix, Dr Klaus Schenk explained the first red flag is when the number calling you is an unknown number, and it's an unexpected call.

Even if they try to 'create an emergency situation' or pose as someone trying to help you, the true intention might be to get your personal information or money.

Dr Schenk advised that it’s 'always a prudent step' to look up the phone number or the company the caller says they're from and do a 'quick Internet search' to verify the legitimacy of the caller.

Another suspicious sign to look out for is if the caller tries to get you to make an 'immediate payment' or invest in something; or if they try to convince you to accept a 'free gift'.

Be wary if they try to emotionally manipulate you, too; these could be signs of fraud.

Dr Schenk also notes anyone who tries to get you to 'install an app' or is interested in your personal information, like bank details, should raise major suspicion.

If you hear any of the above phrases or just get the feeling something's not quite right, trust your gut and hang up the phone.

In accordance with several phone providers’ terms and conditions, you should never give out personal information or details to unknown callers, no matter how suspicious or legitimate their offer seems.

View attachment 29367
Keep your personal information safe by never sharing it with unknown callers. Source: Shutterstock.

If you know the number of the person who's called you but you don't want to pick up, we recommend sending them a text message asking why they're trying to contact you, so you can be extra cautious in handling the situation.

Key Takeaways

• A security expert has identified three warning signs to detect if a phone call could potentially be a scam.
  • The first sign is if the caller's number is unfamiliar, and the situation created by the caller seems like an 'emergency'.
  • The second red flag is if the caller tries to urge immediate payment or disclosure of personal information and offers lucrative financial opportunities or gifts.
  • Lastly, it's a sign of a potential scam if the caller tries to convince the receiver to install an app or is deeply interested in personal information.

We know how easy it is to get tricked, especially by the most experienced swindlers. But luckily, with these three expert tips, you can stay alert and be more aware when a scammer is on the line.

We wish you the best of luck, and may you never be caught out by one of these phone scams!

What tips do you recommend to stay away from suspicious callers? Do you think we need to add more to this list? Share your comments with us so we can help more people avoid scams together!
I just hung up the minute I saw it was an unfamiliar number or I would not speak and wait for the other person to start talking from whence I could decide whether it was a legitimate caller or scammer. If it is the latter, I just hung up without saying a word.

View attachment 29368

View attachment 29367

Key Takeaways

i let my answer phone take over and if they do not leave a message they are blocked. easy.

It's a near impossibility to look up the number as mobile phone numbers are generally not listed & because of so many companies now providing phone service there is no one phone book which lists all numbers. I recently took this matter up with my local federal member of parliament & was advised that in the foreseeable future there will be no way to find or check phone numbers in Australia.

Seniors Discount Club has an ad (at least when I started typing this) for an app aimed at Mac users, called TotalAdblock. I think this may be a subscription scam. I thought it seemed legit (seeing you were allowing their ad on your site) and paid what I was initially told was $1.39 a month. I then discovered it only operated on Firefox, Chrome and one or two other browsers, but not the main Apple browser, Safari. I also discovered $19 had been deducted from my Visa, being for a 1 year subscription. I contacted them and eventually was told to try it (no mention of whether they expected it to work on Safari, even though I questioned them about that). Tried to download it and nothing happening.

It's a near impossibility to look up the number as mobile phone numbers are generally not listed & because of so many companies now providing phone service there is no one phone book which lists all numbers. I recently took this matter up with my local federal member of parliament & was advised that in the foreseeable future there will be no way to find or check phone numbers in Australia.
i let my answer phone take over and if they do not leave a message they are blocked. easy.
You can also put any unknown number on silent, so your phone won’t even ring. It doesn’t even waste your time. It’s great and works very well for me!

If I recieve a number where they don\t answer by the third "hello" , or I get a gut feeling, I usually 1. hung up of 2 , "do you realise you have called a 'do not call number and therefore liable to a $5000 personal fine and your company can be hit with a M$! fine?" (starngely, whne I say "do not call" they usually hang up)

BTW, I AM registered with DONOTCALL.gov.au

View attachment 29368

View attachment 29367

Key Takeaways

If I don't know the number I don't answer the call. If they don't leave a message I don't call them back. If I'm curious then I look the number up on...

or

If I don't know the number I don't answer the call. If they don't leave a message I don't call them back. If I'm curious then I look the number up on...

or
I do exactly the same thing if I’m curious. It’s great, brings up all the scam numbers circulating that others have experienced!

Reactions: Jennie

View attachment 29368

View attachment 29367

Key Takeaways

We are in the unfortunate position where we have to expect numerous calls from unknowns because hubby is undergoing cancer and renal treatments, along with aged care contacts. It seems more and more medical practitioners and hospitals are phoning patients with an ID block on their number. Therefore when a call comes in, it is shown on the screen as a private number. So, I have to answer them.
I will not interact with any caller who has nothing to do with our medical needs. So, a few words usually give me the information I need.
The thing that gets my goat is when someone calls you, even though you are familiar with them, like an insurer, and they say "for privacy purposes I need you to verify your date of birth and address". I always say, no...you rang me. You need to prove who you are. It always puts them off. If they legitimate, they will comply. It's quite amusing to listen to the confusion of some callers who simply don't expect the tables to be turned.
I think, in all things, common sense must prevail. If it doesn't sound right, then normally that is the case. Trust your own intuition.

View attachment 29368

View attachment 29367

Key Takeaways

I've got a scam watch on the phone which let's me know if it a suspect of fraud call 📞 and I let it go to message bank most of the time they say nothing then I block 🚫 the number 🙃

I've been getting several Scam calls a day for years. The worst part of this is there is NO Government Authority you can Register a Complaint to, the government should be ASHAMED of this situation. Scam Watch Don't do anything of consequence, they're just there as Window Dressing so it 'Looks' like the government are doing something about it. I've complained to the Telecommunications Ombudsman who recommended I go to my phone Retailer. So I went to Mate who said there was Nothing they could do. I put A LOT of work into the complaints, it's ALWAYS Hard to find the Dept. to complain to. ASIC and the ACCC are g'vt. Authorities only there for their Looks too.

We are in the unfortunate position where we have to expect numerous calls from unknowns because hubby is undergoing cancer and renal treatments, along with aged care contacts. It seems more and more medical practitioners and hospitals are phoning patients with an ID block on their number. Therefore when a call comes in, it is shown on the screen as a private number. So, I have to answer them.
I will not interact with any caller who has nothing to do with our medical needs. So, a few words usually give me the information I need.
The thing that gets my goat is when someone calls you, even though you are familiar with them, like an insurer, and they say "for privacy purposes I need you to verify your date of birth and address". I always say, no...you rang me. You need to prove who you are. It always puts them off. If they legitimate, they will comply. It's quite amusing to listen to the confusion of some callers who simply don't expect the tables to be turned.
I think, in all things, common sense must prevail. If it doesn't sound right, then normally that is the case. Trust your own intuition.
If I am expecting occasional calls to from any medical facility or any businesses for any reason, I always ask them to please leave a message. I tell them I do not answer the phone if I don’t recognise the number. They always leave a message and I call back them back. Problem solved!

View attachment 29368

View attachment 29367

Key Takeaways

If I realise it is a scam call, I add the number to my contacts as, for example, Visa Scam, and then when they try again, I know straight away it is a scammer, so don't even answer. They are always bound to keep trying, so just deleting the number means you have to wonder if it is a scam every time they ring.

I find it's more fun to answer the phone and string them along for a couple of minutes before yelling into the phone that they're bloody scammers.

Yesterday I got a phone call supposedly from Bendigo Bank to advise me of two transactions on my Bendigo Bank credit card, one for $140 and one for $700 and to press 3 if I wanted to speak to a customer services officer.

I don't bank with Bendigo, so I pressed 3 and after a short wait, a guy with a strong accent came on to talk to me. I wasn't listening to what he was saying, but yelled into the phone "When are you asshole scammers gonna stop trying to scam us!"
Sometimes I answer the phone in my little girl voice and string the caller along - so much fun.
Other times I go along for a short time then yell out "Officer William, have we tracked this call yet?", depending on the mood I'm in. If I don't feel like stringing them along, I just yell "F**k off, bloody scammer!"

By answering those calls and stringing them along, we are wasting their time which means that they can't scam someone else.

I find it's more fun to answer the phone and string them along for a couple of minutes before yelling into the phone that they're bloody scammers.

Yesterday I got a phone call supposedly from Bendigo Bank to advise me of two transactions on my Bendigo Bank credit card, one for $140 and one for $700 and to press 3 if I wanted to speak to a customer services officer.

I don't bank with Bendigo, so I pressed 3 and after a short wait, a guy with a strong accent came on to talk to me. I wasn't listening to what he was saying, but yelled into the phone "When are you asshole scammers gonna stop trying to scam us!"
Sometimes I answer the phone in my little girl voice and string the caller along - so much fun.
Other times I go along for a short time then yell out "Officer William, have we tracked this call yet?", depending on the mood I'm in. If I don't feel like stringing them along, I just yell "F**k off, bloody scammer!"

By answering those calls and stringing them along, we are wasting their time which means that they can't scam someone else.
They will always try someone else, but you are having fun !