St Kilda Football Club mourns the loss of 1966 premiership hero Alan Morrow at age 86

It's a melancholic time for St Kilda Football Club and its devoted fans, as the community bids farewell to 1966 premiership hero, Alan Morrow.

This AFL legend, who was a beloved figure in both the club and the St Kilda community, sadly passed away last Thursday at the age of 86.

Alan Morrow was more than just an individual player; he was an integral part of St Kilda's history, a Team of the Century member, and a Hall of Fame inductee.

When it comes to the AFL, Morrow was a stalwart of the game, a sturdy bastion of devotion, skill, and character.

Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 9.12.20 AM.png
Alan Morrow passed away on July 13 at the age of 86. Credit: Saints.com.au.

Morrow played an instrumental role in St Kilda's history-making 1966 AFL/VFL premiership team, being the oldest and longest-serving member. It was a momentous occasion for the Saints, as they famously secured victory over Collingwood by a single point, making it the first-ever premiership in the club's history.

Today, many decades later, that iconic win still stands as St Kilda's sole premiership, setting it apart as a stirring cornerstone of the club's celebrated history.

No one can forget the legendary heroics of Morrow during the grand final. With the game on the line, it was Alan who took the final mark just as the game-ending siren sounded. It certainly was no ordinary game for him, as it turned out to be his final game in the Saints' colours.

Reflecting on Morrow's passing, St Kilda Football Club took to social media.

'We're saddened by the passing of premiership player, Alan Morrow,' the club statement read.

'Part of our Team of the Century and Hall of Fame, we send our thoughts and prayers to the whole Morrow family.'

Morrow was fondly remembered by the club as a 'heart and soul' player. He was admired not just for his skill on the field but also for his graciousness outside the lines. The club recalled his ever-present friendly smile and how he warmly interacted with Saints' fans, regardless of their age.

Another significant aspect of Morrow's career was how he became a mentor to the subsequent generation of AFL legends. He was known to guide and inspire Carl Ditterich, one of the greatest names in the game, who kickstarted his phenomenal career with St Kilda back in 1963.

It didn't take long for fans to react to the heartbreaking news.

Twitter was soon flooded with condolences and fond remembrances. 'Goodbye Champ RIP,' tweeted one fan.

Another reminisced, 'Last mark in our premiership.'

Another wrote: 'Very sad news. Vale Alan.'

Key Takeaways

• St Kilda Football Club is mourning the loss of 1966 premiership hero Alan Morrow, who passed away at the age of 86.
  • Known as a beloved figure, Morrow is recognised in the Team of the Century and Hall of Fame. He was the oldest and longest-serving member of St Kilda's 1966 premiership team.
  • Morrow is remembered for taking the final mark of the 1966 grand final against Collingwood, which was also his last game for the Saints.
  • The club, recalling Morrow as a 'heart and soul player', extends their thoughts and prayers to his family. Fans have also been quick to express their condolences.

We join the St Kilda community and AFL fans across Australia in mourning the loss of this iconic figure. Alan Morrow was not just a footballer; he was a legend who has left an indelible mark on the game.

As we remember his contribution, let's take a moment to celebrate the life of this remarkable sportsman. Our thoughts and sympathies are with the Morrow family during this challenging time. May he rest in peace.

Sponsored
Oh that is so sad. Condolences to his family. He was a great footballer and I watched him most weekends as a kid. He will be missed

I guess it's me but where do you get "Loved" footballer from. I only love my wife and kids, I really like lots of other people and of course vanilla ice cream.
But Love!!! Your losing the true meaning of the word, it's sad when you place your wife and kids the same a sports person. Please don't say it's a different kind of love, there is only one so if you believe there are more than that you don't understan its true meaning.

Nope sorry, never heard of him. Sorry for his family's loss but doesn't affect me one bit.

Reactions: DrChip