South Australian man’s SHOCKING DISCOVERY while cleaning his home ahead of Christmas leaves him with $1 MILLION

South Australian man’s SHOCKING DISCOVERY while cleaning his home ahead of Christmas leaves him with $1 MILLION
It is no secret that most of us here at the SDC do a general cleaning ahead of Christmas Day and as it turns out, sometimes, you become your own secret Santa as you unearth some 'treasures' that were hidden inside your home that you completely forgot about until you cleaned it up.

For one South Australian man, tidying his home might become a more frequent routine as his latest home discovery left him in tears.

The South Australian man, who wished to remain anonymous, discovered an extremely valuable lotto ticket on Sunday, unearthing it from a stack of paperwork upon doing a pre-Christmas clean of his home.

XyeBNnDJU6ScXrD8l8P3noRV3vzJGdwu5iY4ofe5Oo56ZnznPwkJGga1xFRSWke3Vgff-OISdy4ClqVVe6INkqNq5g7gbnXWK_SSChCeZJFvE_qtq7Ak90Cax6F3-HESX5yQtoc

A South Australian man discovered a winning lotto ticket from a stack of paperwork while doing a pre-Christmas cleaning of his home. Credit: Getty Images.

The ticket was one of the two division one winning entries — along with another one in NSW — in the X Lotto drawn on Wednesday.

The cash prize that he will take home?

A whopping $1 million!

Speaking to The Lott, the man said: “I only found out yesterday afternoon. We’d been doing some cleaning around the house, preparing for the festive season, and I had all of this paperwork piled up, and in that mess were a few lottery tickets.”

“I thought I’d already checked them, so I was going to throw them out, but then I decided I’d check them again, just to be safe."

“Boy, am I glad I didn’t throw that ticket out! It was the last ticket I checked.”

He also revealed that he was sceptical of his win at first and scanned the ticket — which he purchased from OTR Glandore — several times before it sank in that he won a million dollars.

“When I saw the $1 million win pop up, I didn’t believe it. I thought, ‘Nah, that can’t be right’. So I scanned it again, and the win came up again. Then I checked it again and again, and it still kept coming up,” he said.

The man also said that his wife — who was grocery shopping at the time — "lost the plot" after he broke the news over the phone.

“My wife was out grocery shopping, so I called her straight away with the news. She lost the plot! She was crying, cheering and screaming. It was awesome,” he shared.

“We went out for dinner and got some tomahawk steaks and had some drinks to celebrate.”

“I can’t believe I’m ending the year as a millionaire,” he said.

He said that he is planning to pay off his family's mortgage and to help out his kids with his winnings, adding that the rest of the money will be funnelled into investments and saving for retirement.

YqVp1XfvHRdfYIxql9ZVWb4UN0gjEAdRPL0KrXW3pOgqFhNobmCmYopGZMFwW3ysDaOk0eE95cunF2FLlq4LvJ_nysxKiBDb78IgRy-uxRY0Y4kBoin8BaHcfwPdHOB5FSTh63Y

The man said that it took a while for his win to sink in, noting that he checked the ticket several times before realising. Credit: Getty Images.

The owner of OTR Glandore said that the store was "thrilled for our customer".

OTR Glandore owner Khalil Shahin said: “What an incredible win for our customer! It’s always great hearing these winning stories, and now we have another one to share. AT OTR, we’re thrilled for our customer, and we hope to have more major lottery winners.”

The winning numbers in Monday and Wednesday X Lotto draw 4139 were 42, 11, 34, 10, 5 and 33, while the supplementary numbers were 18 and 32.

How about winning the Lotto right before Christmas? It doesn’t get much better than that!

Sponsored
So happy for him and also a smidgeon jealous.......I can't win a fight. Hope he and family thoroughly enjoy the win.

Reactions: IJH and Barbh