'Something is going very wrong': Stories from one Aussie hospital tell grim reality healthcare systems face

Hospitals are a haven for support and healing for patients.

Yet, what happens if these havens also face issues that could affect the quality of care people receive?

Scenes from one of Australia's busiest hospitals sparked a wave of concern from the public and healthcare workers alike.

Blacktown Hospital's emergency department has been thrust into the spotlight as patients endured about 12 hours of waiting time before receiving medical attention.

A patient in the Sydney-based hospital lied on the emergency department floor at 8:30 am.

The patient, who arrived at the hospital at 10 pm the night before, was still waiting for a bed for hours.

Family members of the woman described the emergency department as 'inundated beyond belief'.

compressed-blacktown hospital.jpeg
Blacktown Hospital's emergency department faced several issues, which led to patients sleeping on the floor. Image Credit: Western Sydney Local Health District

Other patients also resorted to sleeping on the floor due to the lack of beds and space.

Several reports also stated that patients have been going without food.

Another patient was also left without oxygen for five hours—adding intensity to the outcry.

A nurse from the hospital confirmed that these incidents were not isolated but rather a 'common occurrence'.

Shadow Health Minister Kellie Sloane wanted to address the crisis with urgency.

'Something is going very wrong at the moment at Blacktown emergency department,' she stated.

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns acknowledged the immense pressure public hospitals face.

'We want to do better when it comes to health outcomes,' Premier Minns stated.

NSW nurses and midwives also shared their frustration and exhaustion through a strike last Tuesday, where they walked off their duties for 12 hours.

Their demands for a 15 per cent pay rise were rejected despite facing the strain on hospital services, including emergency departments.

'I am beyond exhausted. It is about the money, but we have so many more important things that we have to fight for as well,' one nurse voiced out in an interview.

'It's not safe anymore for nurses and patients. You need to walk through an NSW hospital to see that for yourself.'

While sympathetic, Premier Minns defended the government's position regarding this decision.

Premier Minns stated that the requested pay rise is not feasible within the state budget.

He also argued that acceding to the nurses' demands would set a precedent—potentially leading to similar requests from police, teachers, and other public sector employees.

This could incur costs of over $6.5 billion over three years.

These troubling developments raised serious questions about the state of healthcare in Australia, particularly for those who rely on these services frequently.

The images and stories coming out of Blacktown Hospital are a stark reminder of the challenges healthcare systems face and the potential risks for patients seeking care.
Key Takeaways

• Shocking stories from patients showed the desperate situation at Blacktown Hospital's emergency department.
  • Patients and visitors reported extreme waiting times, with some patients sleeping on the floor due to overcrowding.
  • NSW Premier Chris Minns acknowledged the stress public hospitals faced and expressed a desire to improve health outcomes.
  • NSW nurses and midwives went on a 12-hour strike after their request for a 15 per cent pay rise was rejected amidst ongoing healthcare system pressures.
Have you or a loved one faced similar challenges in hospitals? How do you feel about Australia's current state of healthcare? Share your experiences and insights with us in the comments section below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I was supposed to be operated on immediately on arrival in the hospital but a series of serious car accidents put my operation back then back again for over 2 days. I have also since had a cataract removed from that eye! Needless to say I was ready to chew my own arm off I was that hungry having in fact not eaten for 3 days in real trems(having usually been a big eater in the past)
I’m surprised you didn’t pass out from hunger. I certainly would have. My brother did complain about how thirsty he was & hungry & he only had to put up with it for one day.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Maybe NSW needs to build more Medicare based after hours care you can go to instead of Emergency in a hospital. SA has some but way too far apart in distance in the Metro area. It would take me at least double the time to get from my place to my nearest Centre as a hospital even in an Ambulance. Due to ranking Ambulances sometimes take well over an hour to go to a patient in our metro area. If they then need special lifting or other equipment that could add 1 hour or more before you can be transported.

No better in Victoria. Hospitals are over run with patients waiting hours.
Big ones in the city have mice and rats issues. The poor staff are overwhelmed.
Instead of the big builds in Melbourne the money would be better spent on the crumbling hospital system.

No better in Victoria. Hospitals are over run with patients waiting hours.
Big ones in the city have mice and rats issues. The poor staff are overwhelmed.
Instead of the big builds in Melbourne the money would be better spent on the crumbling hospital system.
Never heard of the rats and mice. Wouldn't surprise me though they are a menaced

Reactions: Bellclare
I was triaged- mmm. Sistaloic read 203 and I exclaimed "what". She had me stand , waited, took it again and I was 233. That is serious- many are dead with that, being paddled or in a coma. And I went in with pain in my chest and I was on cardiac related medications. Bleeding, hearts and breathing are usually pretty urgent. She went and did next BP and told no-one. I was 8 hours before going in. And some with scun knees went in, or had a headache. But I began noticing all the people who were lined up before me, were taken in, in the order they presented. MMM_ one has to wonder. Then waited another 1 hour before saw anyone. Had a gamut of tests. Then another hour whilst change over of shift occurred and staff discussed current patients. And finally got results and was sent home. My cardiologist said it was still possible I had a mild heart attack, but we will never know.

Had a friend who was found comatose dont know how long for and was taken the 7-8 mins to Er by car. She was slumped, with no response. Ans waited a few hours dont recall how long before she was seen. She was 36 hours before she came around.

The sooner Rouse Hill Hospital is built, the better - less strain on Blacktown Hospital.

BTW, Danielle, 'an' is only used before a word beginning with a vowel; 'a' is used before a word beginning with a consonant - walk through 'an NSW hospital' should read 'a NSW hospital'. Retired English teacher, can't help noticing these typos.

The blame is not the public hospital's fault entirely.

Take into account pricks who roll up to the emergency department in their $150000 Mercedes AMG with bubba experiencing a broken fingernail so the can dodge a $80 odd consultation fee at their local GP!

Typical leeches of the system who take full advantage of the system for their own benefit!
It is not just the `rich` who just roll up to emergency. Will in Emergency a few years ago with my Husband, Parents with kids running wild, parents going outside to smoke, accessing the junk machine for soft drinks, chips etc. Didn`t look as if there was anything wrong with them. Husband was Type ` diabetic, a large cut, deep and a skin tear on his leg, had to wait 8 hours to be seen. Luckily I always took emergency food items when going anywhere, so it is not necessarily Staff or Hospitals fault, but the time wasters who attend A&E. Also Nurse`s deserve a rise in pay. They work hard, and if it wasn`t for them, we would be all up the creek without a paddle.

It is not just the `rich` who just roll up to emergency. Will in Emergency a few years ago with my Husband, Parents with kids running wild, parents going outside to smoke, accessing the junk machine for soft drinks, chips etc. Didn`t look as if there was anything wrong with them. Husband was Type ` diabetic, a large cut, deep and a skin tear on his leg, had to wait 8 hours to be seen. Luckily I always took emergency food items when going anywhere, so it is not necessarily Staff or Hospitals fault, but the time wasters who attend A&E. Also Nurse`s deserve a rise in pay. They work hard, and if it wasn`t for them, we would be all up the creek without a paddle.
You’ve nailed it @natalielocket! I agree with you 100%. Your husband is very fortunate indeed to have you as his wife. And nurses have been underpaid for as long as I can remember.

I was triaged- mmm. Sistaloic read 203 and I exclaimed "what". She had me stand , waited, took it again and I was 233. That is serious- many are dead with that, being paddled or in a coma. And I went in with pain in my chest and I was on cardiac related medications. Bleeding, hearts and breathing are usually pretty urgent. She went and did next BP and told no-one. I was 8 hours before going in. And some with scun knees went in, or had a headache. But I began noticing all the people who were lined up before me, were taken in, in the order they presented. MMM_ one has to wonder. Then waited another 1 hour before saw anyone. Had a gamut of tests. Then another hour whilst change over of shift occurred and staff discussed current patients. And finally got results and was sent home. My cardiologist said it was still possible I had a mild heart attack, but we will never know.

Had a friend who was found comatose dont know how long for and was taken the 7-8 mins to Er by car. She was slumped, with no response. Ans waited a few hours dont recall how long before she was seen. She was 36 hours before she came around.
That is just not on. I am very sorry for you and your friend to have to experience that lack of care. Things have to change not good enough. To be sent home. Then be told you most likely had a mild heart attack. Good Lord. The other day on the radio they were talking about the operations that have gone wrong. Operating on the wrong side of the body 😱 leaving sponges in the body cavity and instruments left in the body.
Are we in Australia? I was horrified when I heard that.
I had pneumonia around two years ago sat for 7 hours finally got called into emergency only to have my ankle squeezed and told you have fluid in your lungs go home and start walking to move it.
I was so sick. It's hard to have faith in the ER of the hospital. My granddaughter was self harming was very depressed my daughter and I took her to the ER total waste of time. No help at all.
Everyone try stay well. Kind regards to all Vicki

That is just not on. I am very sorry for you and your friend to have to experience that lack of care. Things have to change not good enough. To be sent home. Then be told you most likely had a mild heart attack. Good Lord. The other day on the radio they were talking about the operations that have gone wrong. Operating on the wrong side of the body 😱 leaving sponges in the body cavity and instruments left in the body.
I had pneumonia around two years ago sat for 7 hours finally got called into emergency only to have my ankle squeezed and told you have fluid in your lungs go home and start walking to move it.
I was so sick. It's hard to have faith in the ER of the hospital. My granddaughter was self harming was very depressed my daughter and I took her to the ER total waste of time. No help at all.
You stay safe too Vicki. Kindest regards. Beautiful Mousey ❤️

Reactions: PattiB and BellaB18
it's crazy isn't it. I also fronted up when my hand went purple on a Sunday arvo. Again waited around the 8 hours. They looked at it and said wear double gloves! You've exposed yourself to extreme cold. MMM it was summer. Take care.

it's crazy isn't it. I also fronted up when my hand went purple on a Sunday arvo. Again waited around the 8 hours. They looked at it and said wear double gloves! You've exposed yourself to extreme cold. MMM it was summer. Take care.
Oh Jenny, you just have to shake your head and wonder 🤔 who is working in our hospital's.
Unbelievable.
Well between you with your purple hand and me with fluid in my lungs. Let's go for a run together 😁 so your hand will warm up 🥵 and l can shake out the fluid 😜.
Best wishes to you too.
Kind regards Vicki