'Something is going very wrong': Stories from one Aussie hospital tell grim reality healthcare systems face

Hospitals are a haven for support and healing for patients.

Yet, what happens if these havens also face issues that could affect the quality of care people receive?

Scenes from one of Australia's busiest hospitals sparked a wave of concern from the public and healthcare workers alike.

Blacktown Hospital's emergency department has been thrust into the spotlight as patients endured about 12 hours of waiting time before receiving medical attention.

A patient in the Sydney-based hospital lied on the emergency department floor at 8:30 am.

The patient, who arrived at the hospital at 10 pm the night before, was still waiting for a bed for hours.

Family members of the woman described the emergency department as 'inundated beyond belief'.

compressed-blacktown hospital.jpeg
Blacktown Hospital's emergency department faced several issues, which led to patients sleeping on the floor. Image Credit: Western Sydney Local Health District

Other patients also resorted to sleeping on the floor due to the lack of beds and space.

Several reports also stated that patients have been going without food.

Another patient was also left without oxygen for five hours—adding intensity to the outcry.

A nurse from the hospital confirmed that these incidents were not isolated but rather a 'common occurrence'.

Shadow Health Minister Kellie Sloane wanted to address the crisis with urgency.

'Something is going very wrong at the moment at Blacktown emergency department,' she stated.

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns acknowledged the immense pressure public hospitals face.

'We want to do better when it comes to health outcomes,' Premier Minns stated.

NSW nurses and midwives also shared their frustration and exhaustion through a strike last Tuesday, where they walked off their duties for 12 hours.

Their demands for a 15 per cent pay rise were rejected despite facing the strain on hospital services, including emergency departments.

'I am beyond exhausted. It is about the money, but we have so many more important things that we have to fight for as well,' one nurse voiced out in an interview.

'It's not safe anymore for nurses and patients. You need to walk through an NSW hospital to see that for yourself.'

While sympathetic, Premier Minns defended the government's position regarding this decision.

Premier Minns stated that the requested pay rise is not feasible within the state budget.

He also argued that acceding to the nurses' demands would set a precedent—potentially leading to similar requests from police, teachers, and other public sector employees.

This could incur costs of over $6.5 billion over three years.

These troubling developments raised serious questions about the state of healthcare in Australia, particularly for those who rely on these services frequently.

The images and stories coming out of Blacktown Hospital are a stark reminder of the challenges healthcare systems face and the potential risks for patients seeking care.
Key Takeaways

• Shocking stories from patients showed the desperate situation at Blacktown Hospital's emergency department.
  • Patients and visitors reported extreme waiting times, with some patients sleeping on the floor due to overcrowding.
  • NSW Premier Chris Minns acknowledged the stress public hospitals faced and expressed a desire to improve health outcomes.
  • NSW nurses and midwives went on a 12-hour strike after their request for a 15 per cent pay rise was rejected amidst ongoing healthcare system pressures.
Have you or a loved one faced similar challenges in hospitals? How do you feel about Australia's current state of healthcare? Share your experiences and insights with us in the comments section below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
It is not just NSW hospitals. This is a widespread problem throughout our country in not just capital cities but also regional cities. This synopsis of a loved one, taken in to Qld regional city hospital by ambulance transferred from a rural hospital with suspected heart attack. Should always be triaged as a category 1 with no longer than a 30 minute period to be seen by a Dr, then have a wait of 5 hours in a cold entry way is completely unacceptable. Much, much more to this story that happened but would take up too much room for this forum!

I went to Warragul hospital for a rash and was feeling very ill. When the Doctor came in he took a look at my rash and said it’s shingles and then as he was walking out of my room he threw his arms up and said congratulations you have shingles. I didn’t receive a script for pain and if you haven’t had shingles it’s very very painful. I thought he was very unprofessional.

I accidentally dislodged my retina when I hit my head on the corner of my car door. It was next morning before I could see my doctor but he immediately ordered me to the RAH in S.A. for an urgent re-attachment of the retina. I was left in a room and literally starved of food and very little water for just over 2 days before being "urgently" operated on!

The blame is not the public hospital's fault entirely.

Take into account pricks who roll up to the emergency department in their $150000 Mercedes AMG with bubba experiencing a broken fingernail so the can dodge a $80 odd consultation fee at their local GP!

Typical leeches of the system who take full advantage of the system for their own benefit!

The blame is not the public hospital's fault entirely.

Take into account pricks who roll up to the emergency department in their $150000 Mercedes AMG with bubba experiencing a broken fingernail so the can dodge a $80 odd consultation fee at their local GP!

Typical leeches of the system who take full advantage of the system for their own benefit!
I think they need to put someone qualified at the door of the emergency dept to check who is coming in and for what reason. Got a cough ,cold , Go to the doctor.

I accidentally dislodged my retina when I hit my head on the corner of my car door. It was next morning before I could see my doctor but he immediately ordered me to the RAH in S.A. for an urgent re-attachment of the retina. I was left in a room and literally starved of food and very little water for just over 2 days before being "urgently" operated on!
If they put you under, you would not be able to drink or eat due to vomiting concerns.

I think they need to put someone qualified at the door of the emergency dept to check who is coming in and for what reason. Got a cough ,cold , Go to the doctor.
People do not want to pay even a small gap at the GPs. Anyway the problem in A and E has been proven to be bed block, ie patients unable to be moved out of emergency in a timely manner to allow more patients to be seen. I have sent patients to emergency, eg one young guy with a collapsed lung which I considered urgent. He called me and said he was still waiting after 8 hours. I spoke to a nurse - they wouldn't connect me to a doctor, and she very rudely said it was not urgent! I called the patient and got him to go to another hospital. I've noticed over the years that GPs are not well regarded in hospitals, and we have been blamed in the media for years for the delays in emergency in that we are not all available after hours etc. In reality, many patients who attend emergency need to be there.

My brother had a detached retina but he was in Hobarts Royal Hospital & was operated on within hours. He also went without food & water for some hours but it’s normal procedure for anyone having an op. even though you are still awake while it is happening. I hope that you have recovered from your ordeal. It took my brother a few weeks & now it’s accelerated the growth of his cataracts so he’s not real happy. I just tell him I’ve got cataracts too as has our older sister.

People do not want to pay even a small gap at the GPs. Anyway the problem in A and E has been proven to be bed block, ie patients unable to be moved out of emergency in a timely manner to allow more patients to be seen. I have sent patients to emergency, eg one young guy with a collapsed lung which I considered urgent. He called me and said he was still waiting after 8 hours. I spoke to a nurse - they wouldn't connect me to a doctor, and she very rudely said it was not urgent! I called the patient and got him to go to another hospital. I've noticed over the years that GPs are not well regarded in hospitals, and we have been blamed in the media for years for the delays in emergency in that we are not all available after hours etc. In reality, many patients who attend emergency need to be there.
My husband had chest pain a few years ago & I took him to Launcestons general hospital with a note from an emergency GP & he was attended to immediately. Maybe it helped that the Dr. was from the A&E & was working for Home Doctors in his down time.

My brother had a detached retina but he was in Hobarts Royal Hospital & was operated on within hours. He also went without food & water for some hours but it’s normal procedure for anyone having an op. even though you are still awake while it is happening. I hope that you have recovered from your ordeal. It took my brother a few weeks & now it’s accelerated the growth of his cataracts so he’s not real happy. I just tell him I’ve got cataracts too as has our older sister.
I was supposed to be operated on immediately on arrival in the hospital but a series of serious car accidents put my operation back then back again for over 2 days. I have also since had a cataract removed from that eye! Needless to say I was ready to chew my own arm off I was that hungry having in fact not eaten for 3 days in real trems(having usually been a big eater in the past)