Some Facts About Phobias

Note from the Editor:
This article was written for the SDC by psychologist and member Jan A. Jan A. works on a part-time basis taking on clients under the Medicare Mental Health Care Plans. She works with all ages, from children to seniors!

Phobias are a form of anxiety disorder. They are an extreme response to a perceived threat to a person’s life. On the positive side, responses to perceive threats constitute a life preserving mechanism, equipping us to escape situations of danger. However, on the negative side, a phobic response to perceived threats is so extreme it becomes less of a help and more of a hindrance, creating high levels of anxiety and interfering with our normal life. The anxiety created is ‘overgrown’ like a giant weed in a garden, restricting other plants.

Common phobias cause the heartbeat and breathing rates to rise assisting in flight or fight. Mentally, the person becomes focussed on dealing with the threat, usually by running away or taking extreme protective measures. The person knows their response is irrational but they feel unable to control it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Thank you for this piece. I have a bad bird phobia and I didn’t know I could see my GP about it. I have a care plan appointment coming up. I have been unable to sit outside a cafe most of the time due to birds being present. Picnics are hard with me getting up and running most of the time and I have left my shopping in the trolley in a supermarket due to a bird being in the store. Even when I had a job in a supermarket many years ago they had birds getting inside and they gave me two weeks off work while they fixed the problem because I was so distressed. It’s good to know help maybe at hand

Thank you for this piece. I have a bad bird phobia and I didn’t know I could see my GP about it. I have a care plan appointment coming up. I have been unable to sit outside a cafe most of the time due to birds being present. Picnics are hard with me getting up and running most of the time and I have left my shopping in the trolley in a supermarket due to a bird being in the store. Even when I had a job in a supermarket many years ago they had birds getting inside and they gave me two weeks off work while they fixed the problem because I was so distressed. It’s good to know help maybe at hand
Here's to hoping the appointment goes well, @Colette 3799!

While I won't say I have a phobia, I have a strong aversion to anything that can fly up in my face (which also covers birds).

I also have an odd fear of butterflies---I cannot stand the thought of one getting on my skin and unfurling those weird mouths of theirs!

• Haha
Reactions: Colette 3799
Here's to hoping the appointment goes well, @Colette 3799!

While I won't say I have a phobia, I have a strong aversion to anything that can fly up in my face (which also covers birds).

I also have an odd fear of butterflies---I cannot stand the thought of one getting on my skin and unfurling those weird mouths of theirs!
Butterflies used to freak me out a bit too but I’m a bit better with them nowadays. I recon coming to Australia helped me with anything crawly. I was chief spider remover at work, I’d have never done that when we lived in the UK lol. Snakes and lizards are a breeze. My son has bred them for years.

My worst phobia is flying. If I really have to travel by plane I have to take medication, otherwise my anxiety makes me physically sick. Spiders are pretty bad too, especially big hairy ones! I am also not good with swarms of insects. Interestingly my hubby is a beekeeper (we just have one beehive) and it took me a year or so to become comfortable with them. I still won't go very close to the hive though.

Reactions: Colette 3799