SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
S

saundy

Sep 6, 2021
Solar Power

Hi everyone I just want to take a moment to say that I very happy with the solar system installed I have a 5.8KW system I have installed 8 panels many years ago then a few years ago I had a further 8 panels installed which covers my power needs all year round in winter the split system goes on in the morning stays on until I go to bed. This was one of the smartest things I have ever done, Being early I am getting premium feed in tariff which is great.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has solar panels and their options.
Thanks. Peter

• Wow
Reactions: BJM and TriciaR
Hi Peter,
I have a 6.6 kw system.
My power bills are very minimal, usually get in credit during the summer, winter bill is about $100.
Best investment ever.
My friend had one installed and said it didn't make much difference. She didn't realise that you need to do the things like washing, etc during the day when your system is generating the most power. Not much use doing it in the evening when all your power has gone back into the grid and you have been paid peanuts for it.
She was also running her pool in the evening (??),no wonder she wasn't getting maximum benefit from her system.
Also there are some very cheap systems in the market that are not very good. False economy

Hi Peter,
I have a 6.6 kw system.
My power bills are very minimal, usually get in credit during the summer, winter bill is about $100.
Best investment ever.
My friend had one installed and said it didn't make much difference. She didn't realise that you need to do the things like washing, etc during the day when your system is generating the most power. Not much use doing it in the evening when all your power has gone back into the grid and you have been paid peanuts for it.
She was also running her pool in the evening (??),no wonder she wasn't getting maximum benefit from her system.
Also there are some very cheap systems in the market that are not very good. False economy
A pool, quickly fill it with sand..... they are the most expensive thing on earth.....

Beaware of people selling plug in boxes claiming to reduce your power bills. These devices do not work for one simple reason.
You can't reduce the amount of power an appliance uses by plugging in a box. An appliance that uses for eg, 100watts of power will still use 100 watts of power regardless. You can't change that. Other than that solar the best way to reduce your bill is to switch off appliances at the wall outlet when not in use. This will cut the amount of standby power used, and will save some money. This will only cost you a few seconds of your time when to turn the appliance off.

Reactions: maherdj and saundy
Hi Saundy and Mylittletibbies, Could I enqhire which Companies you went with because you both seem pleased with your choices Thanks Sue.
Hi Sue,
I am with Sumo they gave me the best deal make sure you look at the price they charge for peak and off peak also when the off peak hours are they vary between suppliers.

Reactions: Davmes
Thanks for the info Saundy will file this info away will look at getting solar before next Summer.
Hi Suzy,
Don't know where you live, but I'm in WA. We don't have a choice we only have one provider and that's Western Power.
There is a company called Solar Quotes, if you apply through them they will get you three quotes from their list of recommended installers. I get my quote thru them and have been happy with my system.
There are different classes of panels and inverters to suit all budgets, they can provide you with reasonable priced systems but they ensure that they are not inferior quality.
I would suggest you google them. This also ensures you don't get high pressure salesmen trying to sell you overpriced garbage
Trish,

Reactions: maherdj
I live in Victoria, Suzy the best idea is to keep a eye on the media for the best price sometimes there's some great deals on TV for solar systems some are expensive and some are a great deal I would suggest you keep a eye out for the price on TV and newspapers you can always google the company website it read reviews etc.

Well Thanks Trish actually I’m in WA too, Everyones been SO helpful, as I do live alone things like enquiring about something I really don’t understand can be a bit scary 🫣🥴

A pool, quickly fill it with sand..... they are the most expensive thing on earth.....
I have a salt water pool & wouldn't be with out it. Spend a couple of hours max on maintenance a week if that. Hardly costs me anything to run. I do get the water tested on a regular basis so that a little deficiency doesn't become a huge problem or expense. Everyone to there own though.

Reactions: IAN3005
Hi Peter,
I have a 6.6 kw system.
Best investment ever.
Hi Peter, any advice on which ones to stay away from or the best ones to get?

I have a salt water pool & wouldn't be with out it. Spend a couple of hours max on maintenance a week if that. Hardly costs me anything to run. I do get the water tested on a regular basis so that a little deficiency doesn't become a huge problem or expense. Everyone to there own though.
Must be a new pool....... the cost of running the pump is exorbitant... had a saltwater pool and ended up getting it filled with dirt.

Hi Peter, any advice on which ones to stay away from or the best ones to get?
Hi Ittybitty,
Just my personal experience I will never deal with Powercore again I won't go into details it's just the was I was treated when we were having smart meters installed in our area I had a very bad experience with Powercore, which was done to me. Bear in mind that is a personal experience to me only.
I was with Red energy for several years no issues they were great to deal with,
The main things that I look for are there prices for peak and off peak and the time of off peak which is available on their website this is why I am with Sumo they charge $3.10 for a paper account to be posted each month I consider it necessary to have it each month especially with solar so I know each month how much I have in credit.
There is companies that you can contact that will compare electricity prices in your area for you but I found out by looking at there website you can find all the information you need, just go through the different suppliers pick the one that suits your needs the best, that's what I did. Even contact the company and ask them if you can get a better deal the worst thing that will happen is they will say no but you have lost nothing but you just might get a better deal for a few months?
Good luck with it all I hope this information helps you 😊

Wow, your setup sounds amazing! It's fantastic to hear about your experience with solar panels. I'm fairly new to the solar game myself, but hearing stories like yours really solidify my decision to go solar. I recently got a smaller system installed, but even with just a few panels, I've noticed a significant difference in my energy bills. It's truly a game-changer, isn't it? I checked out the link https://solarsmart.ie, and it seems like a good resource for anyone considering solar. It's always helpful to have more information and options out there.

Last edited:
Must be a new pool....... the cost of running the pump is exorbitant... had a saltwater pool and ended up getting it filled with dirt.
I have been here for 7 years & it was in a long time before that. Depends on the pumps these day as they are very efficient.