Software issue ignites urgent recall of over 1,200 RAM utes

As we navigate modern vehicles, it's not uncommon to hear about glitches that can affect the safety and performance of our cars.

For those who are proud owners of RAM utes, there's an important recall notice that you need to be aware of.

RAM, the renowned ute maker, has issued a recall for more than 1,200 utes across Australia. This recall specifically targets the RAM 2500 model released between 2021 and 2022.

‘Due to a software issue with the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) may fail,’ the notice stated.

Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 10.50.25 AM.png
RAM issued an urgent recall for its 1,200 utes because of a software glitch. Credit: RAM

Now, let's break down what this means for you and your vehicle. The ABS is a critical safety feature that prevents the wheels from locking up during braking, ensuring that you maintain steering control.

The ESC, on the other hand, helps to stabilise your vehicle during cornering if it detects a loss of steering control.

The recall notice, published by RAM in collaboration with the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications, and the Arts, includes a list of affected vehicles' Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs).

If you're a RAM 2500 owner, it's crucial to check whether your vehicle's VIN is included in this recall.

For those impacted by the recall, RAM is offering a remedy that involves reprogramming the ABS control module.

The best part? This will be done free of charge. To address this issue, owners are advised to contact their local RAM dealership to schedule an appointment.

The dealership will handle the software update, ensuring your vehicle's brake system functions correctly and safely.

You can check the list of VINs here.

RAM also recalled over 1,200 RAM 2500 and 3500 models in February due to a faulty diesel particulate matter sensor. The affected utes were converted to right-hand drive between 2021 and 2022.

A manufacturing defect means the sensor may not have been installed, leading to potential vehicle emissions increase, filter blockage, and loss of power or engine stalling.
Key Takeaways
  • RAM has initiated a recall for more than 1200 utes in Australia due to a problem with the software affecting the brake system.
  • The recall affects the 2021 and 2022 models of the RAM 2500, where a software glitch may cause the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) to fail.
  • Failure of the ESC could lead to a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of an accident and potential injury or death.
  • Owners of the affected vehicles are encouraged to contact their local RAM dealership to have the ABS control module reprogrammed at no cost.
Have you experienced any issues with your vehicle that were subject to a recall? How was your experience dealing with the recall process? Share your stories in the comments below!

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Sponsored
Rams, along with other American made garbage, are amongst the most unreliable vehicles in the world. Along with that they are also the expensive to maintain and repair. All the Rams that were in my area have long disappeared due to breakdowns. Why Australia even imports this trash is beyond me. There are much better trucks available.

• Wow
Reactions: Monks and DLHM
Rams, along with other American made garbage, are amongst the most unreliable vehicles in the world. Along with that they are also the expensive to maintain and repair. All the Rams that were in my area have long disappeared due to breakdowns. Why Australia even imports this trash is beyond me. There are much better trucks available.

As far as I'm concerned, all they are is big sedan with the boot lid removed?
I’m not against all American made vehicles, but I think they should remain there…in America. They are made for American road conditions and car parks. Having said that, I have a Suzuki Vitara. Not Australian, but more in tune with Australia than some of the motorised beasts I’ve come into contact with.

Reactions: Monks
To each there own a good tow tug but if I had a choice I would not buy a Ram I would go for a GMC Silverardo or even a Toyota Tundra much more reliable maintenance costs are about the same as any other ute out there but they make great tow tugs

Reactions: DLHM
I’m not against all American made vehicles, but I think they should remain there…in America. They are made for American road conditions and car parks. Having said that, I have a Suzuki Vitara. Not Australian, but more in tune with Australia than some of the motorised beasts I’ve come into contact with.
Then again what is made for Australian conduction nothing as we do not have malfunctioning in Australia any more so no cars,utes or other wise suit our country so we must go for the imports from other countries and what you get is not suited to our land we are a big open country not a small place that you can go through in a few days and cover 3 or 4 countries we need strong cars, utes that can do the job not imported stuff but we need Australian made but that has gone never to return pitty about that

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM