"Sneaky" Woolworths shopper's unexpected checkout act stuns social media

A young man's act of kindness towards a fellow supermarket shopper has gone viral on social media.

In a video posted on Instagram, a shopper by the name of Tom - who uses the handle @cloutom - was seen approaching a customer at the Woolworths cash register and informing him that he dropped something on the ground.

Credit: Instagram/@cloutom

Without the older customer's knowledge, the young shopper paid for his groceries by tapping his keycard on the EFTPOS machine as he bent down to look for the object he "dropped".

The man went on to pay for his purchases after Tom left, but the Woolworths checkout staff informed him that they had already been paid for.

The man can then be seen gazing in awe as he yells out "Yo!" to the nearby good Samaritan to grab his attention.

The clip has gained traction on social media, amassing more than 11 million views.

Tom has since then performed comparable deeds of kindness at Coles and ALDI stores, which has earned him millions more views and engagements.

One user wrote: “That is so sweet if only more people would do that.”

“Aww, his reaction was priceless. Bless you,” another added.

A third chimed in: “This changes people's lives and their perspectives. Amazing job!”

k8Gir9IseMmdFqu_NnIkRP4RAS4BwJq32C9OIXWk1Qd_OmrSwvu8G3CzQdebZjtBrVb7hHkHrUyiFbCzDgCJu8zSZEjNwbzhYVR8_dfnFoiAJr700IFPAZFK8lJGsEa7XFzbs1gtF6_R0N0vH35ySg
ccA9YpqJVuRPY3fxEWOoiudVrg2QrvL7WkzMrA0Ug8BYMscel-Td31O4Jbe3gtKAAAiwlQBW3-CdKkh36MoIWTVCXr1TOwN7naP5fyEpfHUYLNkFI16d5fZ0EG-FhDJjiVvJDSUnbPh9aIAuGULlFA

Tom has done similar acts of charity in other supermarkets. Credit: Instagram/@cloutom.

One user even jokingly said that he was hoping that someone like Tom would do the same to him next time he was paying for his grocery purchases.

“Where is this guy every time I’m at the checkout?” the user asked.

Not everyone is convinced that the teenager is doing all of these deeds purely out of the kindness of his heart, however, saying that they believed that Tom was only doing it for views.

One comment read: “I would not appreciate it at all. For once, I earn money and don’t need charity.”

“If you have too much, give it to some organisation which needs it. Secondly, I am not gonna let a stranger pay for my stuff."

“Thirdly, you don’t care about the person you paid for, you just desperately need attention, that is why you filmed it.”

Another agreed: "I get the good gesture, but if you're doing this just for it to go on social media then you shouldn't be doing it at all."

We think the highest form of charity is that which is done anonymously, but regardless of the intent, helping people in need is something we’ll always applaud.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that this philanthropic act was done for the right reasons, or does it not matter either way? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
A young man's act of kindness towards a fellow supermarket shopper has gone viral on social media.

In a video posted on Instagram, a shopper by the name of Tom - who uses the handle @cloutom - was seen approaching a customer at the Woolworths cash register and informing him that he dropped something on the ground.

Without the older customer's knowledge, the young shopper paid for his groceries by tapping his keycard on the EFTPOS machine as he bent down to look for the object he "dropped".

The man went on to pay for his purchases after Tom left, but the Woolworths checkout staff informed him that they had already been paid for.

The man can then be seen gazing in awe as he yells out "Yo!" to the nearby good Samaritan to grab his attention.

The clip has gained traction on social media, amassing more than 11 million views.

Tom has since then performed comparable deeds of kindness at Coles and ALDI stores, which has earned him millions more views and engagements.

A third chimed in: “This changes people's lives and their perspectives. Amazing job!”

k8Gir9IseMmdFqu_NnIkRP4RAS4BwJq32C9OIXWk1Qd_OmrSwvu8G3CzQdebZjtBrVb7hHkHrUyiFbCzDgCJu8zSZEjNwbzhYVR8_dfnFoiAJr700IFPAZFK8lJGsEa7XFzbs1gtF6_R0N0vH35ySg
ccA9YpqJVuRPY3fxEWOoiudVrg2QrvL7WkzMrA0Ug8BYMscel-Td31O4Jbe3gtKAAAiwlQBW3-CdKkh36MoIWTVCXr1TOwN7naP5fyEpfHUYLNkFI16d5fZ0EG-FhDJjiVvJDSUnbPh9aIAuGULlFA

Tom has done similar acts of charity in other supermarkets. Credit: Instagram/@cloutom.

One user even jokingly said that he was hoping that someone like Tom would do the same to him next time he was paying for his grocery purchases.

Not everyone is convinced that the teenager is doing all of these deeds purely out of the kindness of his heart, however, saying that they believed that Tom was only doing it for views.

One comment read: “I would not appreciate it at all. For once, I earn money and don’t need charity.”

“If you have too much, give it to some organisation which needs it. Secondly, I am not gonna let a stranger pay for my stuff."

“Thirdly, you don’t care about the person you paid for, you just desperately need attention, that is why you filmed it.”

Another agreed: "I get the good gesture, but if you're doing this just for it to go on social media then you shouldn't be doing it at all."

We think the highest form of charity is that which is done anonymously, but regardless of the intent, helping people in need is something we’ll always applaud.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that this philanthropic act was done for the right reasons, or does it not matter either way? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Why can’t people just be happy that a good deed has been done to help somebody?

Lovely! Recently I had a big shop and a bunch of flowers in my trolley. An elderly man behind me had a handful of items I said ‘go ahead of me’ he thanked me. At end of my checkout I was told the elderly man had paid for my flowers 💛

A gesture of good will? It was a prank, filmed and choreographed. It's the new way of getting noticed. Ps, you may have notice the older gent didn't have a lot of stuff in his trolley. Slam me if you want. Just saying 😌

Acts of kindness come from the heart ❤️ why are those people so sceptical of these acts of kindness is it they have never received it themselves. They old say still rings true to day “what goes around come back to your ten fold” Thank you to all of those people that have kindness in their hearts. If someone shows an act of kindness to you no matter if it’s only smile and hello, accept it and pay it forward. Our world would be a better place … would’nt it

Intetesting onx

Interesting one. On the one hand, you love they he's being so generous (hopefully with a card he owns 😅). On the other hand, he's being filmed, with sound. Is he mic'd, as in has a microphone? If it's all for publicity (LIKES), it's still a nice gesture but not necessarily for the right reasons. He may earn money for the act which is way more than he's spent, which is clever I guess. The jury is out. Though helping others is a wonderful thing to do. Can't decide.

Jesus, give the kid a break. I think he is a great little dude. So what if he films it, maybe it makes him happy to see their reaction. The person who isn't a 'charity case', pull your head in and stop being an ungracious grump!

Reeks of attention seeking to me. No need to have it recorded and put online at all.

Well it's not the first time I have heard or seen this type of thing. The younger generation refers to it as random acts of kindness. They get a kick out of it and hope that they are lifting general sprits of society by doing it.

It has been taken up by older generations as well. Both my daughter and I have had this sort of thing happen. Both of use have 'passed on' the acts of kindness as well.

You can look at it as being like in our younger days, people acknowledged each other when out and about by bidding others 'goodday' even if you didn't know them.

Works for me. ;)

Contact guys it's an act of kindness ,let's not be so cynical 😃🇦🇺👍👍

People are always putting the young ones down, saying they’re lazy and only thinking of themselves and here is a young man proving that is not always the case. He’s doing a good deed and still some people are trying to put him down. I say leave him alone and let him do something nice for someone.

Lovely! Recently I had a big shop and a bunch of flowers in my trolley. An elderly man behind me had a handful of items I said ‘go ahead of me’ he thanked me. At end of my checkout I was told the elderly man had paid for my flowers 💛
That is so sweet!

That is so sweet.
Well it's not the first time I have heard or seen this type of thing. The younger generation refers to it as random acts of kindness. They get a kick out of it and hope that they are lifting general sprits of society by doing it.

It has been taken up by older generations as well. Both my daughter and I have had this sort of thing happen. Both of use have 'passed on' the acts of kindness as well.

You can look at it as being like in our younger days, people acknowledged each other when out and about by bidding others 'goodday' even if you didn't know them.

Works for me. ;)
I agree.

Reactions: Elbe and Ricci

I think it's awesome and such a beautiful caring gesture regardless of his age, there are not many people out there that care enough, this guy has a great heart -- Judie from the Sunshine Coast Caloundra

Reactions: Ricci
I witnessed a genuine kind act at Woolworths last night. A lady in queue, gave 25cents to a guy who was struggling with change for a few articles. Smiles all round for a genuine action. Not an Influencer, Tik Toker or camera to be seen. That's the "Real Aussie" thing to do.