Sneaky strategies utilised by supermarkets to empty shoppers’ wallets revealed!

Grocery shopping can be a delightful experience, especially when you're on the hunt for your favourite treats or ingredients for a special meal.

It is also a battlefield where supermarkets employ the most clever strategies to entice you into spending more than you initially planned.

For instance, why buy one packet of biscuits when you can have three for a cheaper price, right?

But beware, this is just one of the many tactics supermarkets use to make us part with our hard-earned cash.

SDC 18.png
Supermarkets utilise sneaky strategies to trick shoppers into buying more. Image source: aleksandarlittlewolf on Freepik.

As we approach the festive season, it's even easier to blow our budgets on grocery shopping.

So, let's delve into some of the most common supermarket tricks designed to make us spend more and find out how we can outsmart them.

1. The Floral Welcome

Ever noticed the beautiful array of flowers at the entrance of your local supermarket?

This is no accident. The vibrant colours and fresh scents are designed to entice you into the store.

While they may not be the supermarket's biggest profit-maker, they certainly do a great job of attracting us to the store.

2. Essential Items at the Back

Milk, bread, eggs—these everyday essentials are often strategically placed at the back of the store.

This forces shoppers to walk past aisles of tempting items, increasing the likelihood that we'll pick up a few extras along the way.

3. Checkout Temptations

The checkout aisle is a minefield of impulse buys, from chocolate bars to magazines.

It's all too easy to give in to these last-minute temptations, especially when you're shopping with kids.

4. The Power of Music

Music in supermarkets isn't just for ambience.

It's a psychological tool used to influence our shopping behaviour.

Slow, calming music encourages us to take our time and potentially add more to our carts.

Conversely, faster music is used during peak times to speed up our shopping pace.

So, how can we outsmart these supermarket strategies?

Awareness is the first step.

By understanding these tactics, you can make more informed choices or resist them altogether.

The top tip is to make a list and stick to it, avoiding these influences as much as possible.

Consumer Psychologist Peter Resanceff also revealed how you can resist the ‘receipt trick’. This is a psychological tactic utilised by supermarkets designed to manipulate shoppers into becoming loyal, repeat customers.

On your receipt, the store shows you the dollars you 'saved' compared to their made-up normal prices.

This strategy makes shoppers feel smart for spending less, which then increases their chances of coming back again and again, chasing the savings high.

You can read more about this supermarket trick here.
Key Takeaways
  • Grocery shopping strategies can often encourage consumers to buy more items than they initially planned.
  • These tricks included the placement of enticing items, such as flowers at the entrance, and the essentials, such as milk, at the back of the store.
  • Treats are often positioned at the checkout to entice last-minute impulse buys.
  • The music played in supermarkets can also influence customer behaviour, including shopping speed and the likelihood of making additional purchases.
Have you noticed these tricks before? Do you have any other tips to share on how to resist these supermarket strategies? Let us know in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: magpie1 and BJM
Sponsored
me either,,if the shelf price says 2 for $$$ or 3 for $$$,I only want one so buy none,,,I asked a check out lady if you pay full price for just one and she said yes,,,I hate that,,it's basically thieving,,,,it's happening weekly now I have noticed

Reactions: SandyM
I always get my receipt & check the prices of items I think they may have overcharged me on and, wouldn't you know it, I am often correct. So back to the Service Area to get my refund. Keeps the budget looking good as I go home with my "freebies".

I have a shopping list & I stick to it! If something that I need (& use often) is on special, then I will buy a few extra - if I can afford to. Not even slow music can make me go down the isles that I don't need.

Reactions: terri and IAN3005
I always get my receipt & check the prices of items I think they may have overcharged me on and, wouldn't you know it, I am often correct. So back to the Service Area to get my refund. Keeps the budget looking good as I go home with my "freebies".
Me too!

Home delivery for me.....there's no flowers, no music, no tempting specials of things that I wouldn't normally buy, no aisles to walk through filled with this weeks special buy....no crowds of shoppers, and no self serve check outs to pack your own bags and unload into car and drive home only to unload again. Home shopping does have benefits despite what some may say against it, and the friendly drivers who deliver your shopping just finish off the whole experience. 😉

Home delivery for me.....there's no flowers, no music, no tempting specials of things that I wouldn't normally buy, no aisles to walk through filled with this weeks special buy....no crowds of shoppers, and no self serve check outs to pack your own bags and unload into car and drive home only to unload again. Home shopping does have benefits despite what some may say against it, and the friendly drivers who deliver your shopping just finish off the whole experience. 😉
But do you pay for the service?

Reactions: marni
But do you pay for the service?
Coles is soo much cheaper for delivery than Woolworths. $4 for a big shop. Pick up is free, and they do the shopping. So good if you do not know where certain items are in the store.

Reactions: IAN3005
Coles is soo much cheaper for delivery than Woolworths. $4 for a big shop. Pick up is free, and they do the shopping. So good if you do not know where certain items are in the store.
Evey $4.00 pushes me over budget.... would prefer to use it for 455gm Mayonnaise.

then let them do the shopping and pick up from drive through - not seeing any extra items in store - free service
There is no such thing as free... it's loaded to to price so everyone pays