Small detail on taxi photo reveals shocking new reality on Australian roads

As people cruise down the highways and byways of this vast and beautiful country, there's a new reality taking shape on Australian roads that's as subtle as it is significant.

It's a change that's quietly revolutionising the way people think about transportation, and it's happening right under our noses—or, more accurately, right under the bonnets of our cars.

The rise of electric vehicles (EVs) is no longer a futuristic prediction; it's a present-day fact, and it's reshaping the landscape of Australian motoring in ways both big and small.

One such small but telling detail was recently spotted on a taxi in South Australia, and it's a sign of the times that's worth paying attention to.

Screenshot 2024-05-17 103757.png
Residents in South Australia noticed an electric vehicle taxi. Image source: Facebook

An eagle-eyed motorist in Adelaide captured images of a taxi that wasn't just any old cab—it was a Build Your Dream (BYD) Seal, an electric vehicle from a Chinese manufacturer that's rapidly gaining traction in the EV market.

This sighting is more than just a novelty; it's a harbinger of the new normal on Aussie roads.

‘Never thought I’d see the day—a BYD Seal used as a taxi,’ a social media user said.

The Electric Vehicle Council's latest data has debunked the myth that EVs are the exclusive domain of wealthy inner-city dwellers.

In fact, the most significant growth in EV orders last year came from the outer suburbs, indicating a broadening appeal and accessibility of these clean, green machines.

Tesla, the brand synonymous with electric cars, has been joined by BYD in capturing the Australian market's imagination.

BYD even managed to overtake Tesla in January as the nation's best-selling electric vehicle for that month, signalling a shift in consumer preferences and the competitive landscape.

BYD is making significant leaps in the Australian market. With three models currently available and at least two more on the horizon for 2025, BYD is poised to become a top 10 car brand in Australia.

This growth is indicative of the broader trend of increasing EV sales, particularly among ride-share vehicles.

Screenshot 2024-05-17 104505.png
In January, BYD managed to surpass Tesla in sales. Image source: BYD

The adoption of EVs by taxi services is a logical step forward.

As Motoring Expert Trevor Long pointed out, ‘many or most taxis are already hybrids’, so the transition to full EVs is a natural progression.

‘To go full EV is a great move for emissions,’ Mr Long said.

This move is not only beneficial for the environment but also for the drivers' wallets, as EVs typically have lower running costs.

But it's not all smooth driving ahead. The lack of accessible charging stations remains a major roadblock.

While EV owners and enthusiasts are often at odds with regular motorists over the availability of charging spots, the issue is more than just a source of contention—it's a critical infrastructure gap that needs addressing.

Mr Long shared: ‘I own two EVs and it's mainly because they are great to drive and are lower in cost to run, but over time the prices will come down more, there will be more cars and more people will choose EV—though it won't be as fast as many EV lovers might hope.’

‘Charging is a huge, huge problem for Australia. It needs more than government grants, it needs a company, or person willing to invest huge money into a network to rival our traditional “servos” but one that will take 20 years to pay a dividend.’

‘That's too long for current-day business, sadly, it will be a missed opportunity,’ he added.

The federal government has recognised this need and is taking steps to double the number of electric vehicle charging stations over the next year.

With nearly 100 new fast-charging sites added since the start of 2024, Australia is approaching a total of 900 DC fast-charging sites, a 90 per cent increase from two years prior.

This expansion is part of the government's broader strategy to encourage cleaner car imports through updated fuel efficiency standards.

With around 3,000 regular EV charging stations and 7,000 plugs and sockets nationwide, the groundwork is being laid for a more sustainable automotive future.

As we witness these changes, it's essential to stay informed and adapt to the evolving landscape of Australian roads. Whether you're an EV enthusiast, a curious onlooker, or a steadfast petrolhead, the shift to electric is a topic that affects us all.
Key Takeaways
  • Electric vehicles (EVs) are becoming increasingly popular in Australia, with greater prevalence among ride-share vehicles and taxis.
  • Build Your Dream (BYD), a Chinese EV maker, has seen a significant rise in sales, challenging Tesla's position in the Australian market.
  • Accessible charging stations remain a major challenge for EV adoption in Australia, despite government efforts to increase the number of fast-charging sites.
  • The federal government is working to improve fuel efficiency standards and incentivise the import of cleaner cars as Australia approaches nearly 900 DC fast-charging sites nationwide.
We'd love to hear your thoughts on the rise of electric vehicles and how it's impacting your driving experience. Have you spotted any EV taxis in your area? Are you considering making the switch to electric? Share your stories and join the conversation in the comments below!

Sponsored
BYD didn't beat Tesla by getting very high sales, it's because Tesla sales have dropped through the floor.

There's thousands of Tesla's rotting in a parking lot, despite the asking price being dropped to near cost.

Despite pressure from governments and advertising hype EV's just aren't selling well anywhere in the world.

I will,never be in the financial position to own an electic car. I wouldn't own one anyway if I was, there are so many of them in a dead car yard overseas i saw in an artical last week that they will never be sold. But the main reason for me is as a pensioner the cost is inhibitive and the thought of having to sit around for long periods of time while it recharged would drive me crazy.

Isn't* it* your* habit* to lace your brand-specific* puff-pieces* with asterisks, SDC*?

BYD didn't beat Tesla by getting very high sales, it's because Tesla sales have dropped through the floor.

There's thousands of Tesla's rotting in a parking lot, despite the asking price being dropped to near cost.

Despite pressure from governments and advertising hype EV's just aren't selling well anywhere in the world.

So you believe the media beat-up story do you? Someone sees a parking lot with Teslas in it and suddenly sales have crashed? FFS, some of you are dumb. Manufacturers bring in unsold vehicles all the time, have you never see parking lots full of unsold cars before? Open your eyes, drive past where they unload the cars from ships. This year Tesla sales are down, but hardly "dropped through the floor", they have gone down in line with all vehicle sales.
1717656069765.png

Reactions: PattiB

Oh look, a parking lot full of NON Tesla vehicles, the market must have dropped through the floor, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: PattiB
Despite what you read & hear I still won't spend my money on one of these vehicles. Not enough charge stations and would make an 8 hr trip to Newcastle into a 2 day odyssey - bugger that for a joke! Australia is not a suitable environment for this pie in the sky idea unless you only travel within a short distance. Anyway the economics of an electric vehicle do not add up when you consider the hours/methods of producing the electricity, batteries etc etc. More damage to the environment is producing and running these vehicles.

Despite what you read & hear I still won't spend my money on one of these vehicles. Not enough charge stations and would make an 8 hr trip to Newcastle into a 2 day odyssey - bugger that for a joke! Australia is not a suitable environment for this pie in the sky idea unless you only travel within a short distance. Anyway the economics of an electric vehicle do not add up when you consider the hours/methods of producing the electricity, batteries etc etc. More damage to the environment is producing and running these vehicles.
Have you ever heard the term "early adopters", that's what EV owners are now. Range will improve and cost will come down. Just like when DVD players first came out at $2,000, now down to around $30.

Drive up and down the Hume, there are plenty of EV's doing that trip every day.

EVs are disgusting. They require the rape of the planet to build, use child labour in mining and bequeath a legacy of battery packs to landfill. The irresponsible governments who use taxpayer funds to build charging stations should cease this immediately and levy a tax on EV owners to pay for this. All this because of CO2 emissions, plant-food. These irresponsible people need to be called out now.

So you believe the media beat-up story do you? Someone sees a parking lot with Teslas in it and suddenly sales have crashed? FFS, some of you are dumb. Manufacturers bring in unsold vehicles all the time, have you never see parking lots full of unsold cars before? Open your eyes, drive past where they unload the cars from ships. This year Tesla sales are down, but hardly "dropped through the floor", they have gone down in line with all vehicle sales.
View attachment 50419
The article, and my comments, are related to sales in Australia... not worldwide.

Total sales of EVs in Australia in 2023 was less than 100,000.

Thousands of Teslas in a car park is significant in such a small market.

The car park I referenced to is in Australia and the quantity of Teslas has been growing steadily with each shipment delivered.

If sales of all brands were going down together Tesla would have adjusted their deliveries to reduce the number of batteries getting baked in the sun.

EV batteries are not happy being left in such conditions, even in winter, but many of these vehicles have been there since late last year.

Since January Tesla has reduced its vehicles prices 3 times, and no it's not just an adjustment due to the interest rates.

If it were the car media would not be making a fuss about it.

Tesla is struggling.

BTW: my Father and Brother both spent many years working for a major car company, so I know how the business works.

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350 and SandyM
The article, and my comments, are related to sales in Australia... not worldwide.

Total sales of EVs in Australia in 2023 was less than 100,000.

Thousands of Teslas in a car park is significant in such a small market.

The car park I referenced to is in Australia and the quantity of Teslas has been growing steadily with each shipment delivered.

If sales of all brands were going down together Tesla would have adjusted their deliveries to reduce the number of batteries getting baked in the sun.

EV batteries are not happy being left in such conditions, even in winter, but many of these vehicles have been there since late last year.

Since January Tesla has reduced its vehicles prices 3 times, and no it's not just an adjustment due to the interest rates.

If it were the car media would not be making a fuss about it.

Tesla is struggling.

BTW: my Father and Brother both spent many years working for a major car company, so I know how the business works.
The NRMA see it differently, but you seem to know better, lol.

Anyone buying an EV has rocks in their heads.. expensive, low resale value, costly to maintain, disposable when the battery gives up.

Reactions: relljube and SandyM
Anyone buying an EV has rocks in their heads.. expensive, low resale value, costly to maintain, disposable when the battery gives up.
Costly to maintain? Huh, you have no idea. No oil changes, no filters, brakes last 3 times than normal. What happens when an ICE car's motor gives up? That's costly to repair. Low resale? Just like any expensive car. New MBs that cost 100,000 are only worth 40-50,000 after 2 or 3 years.

Seems you've been following the MSM again. Talk to actual owners, I know a few who have EVs, one couple have two Teslas, extremely happy with them.

Ao explain how YOU know all about them when you don't have one? Oh, I know, you've read about it, lol. Wow, you'd fall for anything you read.

Reactions: IAN3005
Costly to maintain? Huh, you have no idea. No oil changes, no filters, brakes last 3 times than normal. What happens when an ICE car's motor gives up? That's costly to repair. Low resale? Just like any expensive car. New MBs that cost 100,000 are only worth 40-50,000 after 2 or 3 years.

Seems you've been following the MSM again. Talk to actual owners, I know a few who have EVs, one couple have two Teslas, extremely happy with them.

Ao explain how YOU know all about them when you don't have one? Oh, I know, you've read about it, lol. Wow, you'd fall for anything you read.
So be it!!!!

The NRMA see it differently, but you seem to know better, lol.
NRMA is not the member operated business it used to be.

It's current directors include:
- a member of the Coalition for Conservation,
- a member of the Climate Change Authority,
- a former NSW Labor Government Minister,
- a former ALP Senator for the ACT
- a former executive of Unilever, Microsoft and Ninemsn,
- a former director of an EV company, and
- a former deputy chair and director of Ecotourism Australia,
amongst others.

They have implemented ESG policies, which means they've gone WOKE.

I also notice that their May/June edition of Open Road still has the Tesla vehicles prices they had in January, despite the three price reductions announced since then.

NRMA is not the member operated business it used to be.

It's current directors include:
- a member of the Coalition for Conservation,
- a member of the Climate Change Authority,
- a former NSW Labor Government Minister,
- a former ALP Senator for the ACT
- a former executive of Unilever, Microsoft and Ninemsn,
- a former director of an EV company, and
- a former deputy chair and director of Ecotourism Australia,
amongst others.

They have implemented ESG policies, which means they've gone WOKE.

I also notice that their May/June edition of Open Road still has the Tesla vehicles prices they had in January, despite the three price reductions announced since then.
So they just make up stories, okay. I'm glad you're here to set the record straight. Would would we do without your in depth knowledge of the car manufacturers and how they operate, how they import cars, how they store them, etc. I always thought they brought cars in, dealers take sales (online for Tesla) and those vehicles are shipped out to dealers/customers. So you have parking lots full of cars. I use to see them regularly, must have all been fake I guess, all stories to trick me.

You are talking about ONE brand, you do know EVs come from varied manufactures, maybe people are sick of seeing all the same looking Teslas on the road so are going elsewhere. Australian EV sales are down 5% all brands, wow, world ending, and that's one month.

So they just make up stories, okay. I'm glad you're here to set the record straight. Would would we do without your in depth knowledge of the car manufacturers and how they operate, how they import cars, how they store them, etc. I always thought they brought cars in, dealers take sales (online for Tesla) and those vehicles are shipped out to dealers/customers. So you have parking lots full of cars. I use to see them regularly, must have all been fake I guess, all stories to trick me.
I never said that they "make up stories."

But human beings don't just interpret data unemotionally. They are influenced by their beliefs and values. Sometimes they report what they want to be true, because they feel that it must be true.

Yes car manufacturers bring in the numbers of vehicles that they 'expect' to sell. Then the dealers order the amount they have orders for. Which means there will be multiple vehicles waiting for orders between shipments.

However, normally the inventory management software that manufacturers use regularly adjusts the 'expected' sales value increasing or decreasing the number of vehicles shipped.

When the numbers of vehicles in the parking lot grows with each delivery, it means that the change in sales is excessive.

Oh and yes, manufacturers of have always been happy to have a wide variety of vehicles in their parking lots.

But they are less happy when they only have a few models especially when the numbers parked are increasing over 6 months.

Plus they don't like it when the weather is unstable, with repeated periods of heavy rain and cold (the possibility of hailstones tend to make them feel uncomfortable.)

You are talking about ONE brand, you do know EVs come from varied manufactures, maybe people are sick of seeing all the same looking Teslas on the road so are going elsewhere. Australian EV sales are down 5% all brands, wow, world ending, and that's one month.
I was talking about the boast of BYD outselling of Teslas, a specific relationship between two brands of vehicles.

Which is, as I understand it, due predominantly to the reduction in Tesla sales. Hence the focus on Teslas.

However, if you want to believe BYD is the greatest thing since sliced bread and everyone is so in love with EVs that soon everyone will be busting down the dealers doors to get them, good for you. 🤪🤣