Small business accuses Commbank of making cash ‘actively difficult’ to use

In an age where digital transactions are becoming the norm, the push towards a cashless society has sparked a fiery debate in Queensland.

Street Feast, a small business known for its vibrant night-time food festivals and markets, became the centre of controversy when it announced a cashless entry policy for its events.

This decision has raised questions about banks' role in transitioning to cashless operations and the challenges small businesses face in adapting to new financial landscapes.

Street Feast, a staple in the Queensland community since January, charges a $2 entry fee per person.

With events spread across the state and northern NSW, including regional areas like Goondiwindi and Kingaroy, the business often handles a significant amount of cash.

shutterstock_740330989.jpg
Street Feast accused Commonwealth Bank of making it difficult to use cash. Credit: Shutterstock

Phoenix Diamond, the Sales and Relationships Executive at Street Feast, expressed safety concerns for staff members tasked with managing thousands of dollars in notes and coins.

‘That creates safety concerns for the staff members and owners, to be left with that much cash,’ he said.

The situation escalated when the company's bank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CommBank), was accused of making it 'actively difficult' to deal in cash.

This logistical nightmare prompted Street Feast to switch to a card-only policy, a move that was met with immediate backlash from the community.

One commented, 'Cash is king! Use it or lose it.’

‘I was all in until you stipulated “card only”. That’s a family of five who won’t be attending,’ another said.

‘I would also like to know why it is a card-only entry. I think that it is totally unfair, and as a business/event, it should be illegal to refuse legal tender,’ a third added.

The sentiment was so strong that Street Feast announced the return of cash payments at their gates.

‘We’ve heard you—loudly,’ a post on social media read.

‘We are bringing cash back at the gate to all our events. Please have the correct change.’

The controversy didn't end there. At one event, ‘protesters came out’, with some community members accusing Street Feast of being ‘part of a problem helping banks push cashless agenda’.

Diamond mentioned the ‘absolute uproar’ from the community also involved instances where staff were ‘abused’ at events by individuals who were ‘clearly upset’ about not being able to use cash for entry.

‘We had to call the police because one bloke was abusing staff, telling us we were responsible for the new world order,’ Diamond said.

In the face of such turmoil, Diamond pointed the finger at CommBank, criticising the bank for the difficulties in handling cash transactions.

‘For us, it was just an issue dealing with the banks—Commonwealth Bank specifically,’ he said.

‘There was one day in which the owner travelled to six different branches and the coin deposit system was down. It became a logistical nightmare.’

‘I don’t blame the reaction from the public. It was understandable. We understand their frustration, we share their frustration.’

‘But banks are making it impossible to do business with (cash)... It almost makes it feel like there’s a push to make it hard for businesses to operate.’

The bank, however, defended its services, stating that its coin deposit machines were operational 98 per cent of the time and emphasising the importance of cash in Australia's economy.

‘As we’ve said before, cash is and will remain an important part of Australia’s economy,’ a CBA spokesperson said in a statement.

‘In addition to the largest branch and ATM network in Australia, our business customers with coin handling requirements have access to over 850 designated self-service coin deposit machines.’
Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland small business, Street Feast, faced an uproar after announcing cashless payment only at their events due to difficulties depositing coins at Commonwealth Bank branches.
  • Street Feast hosts night-time food festivals and markets, where handling large amounts of cash posed safety concerns for staff.
  • The community reacted strongly against the card-only policy, with some attendees refusing to attend and others accusing the business of supporting a cashless agenda.
  • After significant backlash, Street Feast decided to once again accept cash at their events while expressing frustration at the banking challenges imposed by the Commonwealth Bank.
Have you encountered similar situations where cash was refused? Do you prefer cash transactions, or are you comfortable with the shift towards digital payments? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I went into one shop - placed correct amount of money for the article on the counter - was told cash only - I said you have the correct amount on money on the counter and I am walking out with the article - what are you going to do - they just looked at me - I left with the article - another person behind me laughed and did exactly the same thing - it is illegal for shops to refuse cash - we must be strong and keep them to it.

I went into one shop - placed correct amount of money for the article on the counter - was told cash only - I said you have the correct amount on money on the counter and I am walking out with the article - what are you going to do - they just looked at me - I left with the article - another person behind me laughed and did exactly the same thing - it is illegal for shops to refuse cash - we must be strong and keep them to it.
It’s actually not illegal for shops to refuse cash. They can set their own terms & conditions which includes whether they will accept cash or card only payments. They should have clear signage when you enter though.

I’ve had a budget for years & update my spreadsheet every 6 months. All utilities & set expenses are averaged out over 12 months. I have a set amount I can withdraw weekly.

What a joke. Money is their business and they don't want you in the bank for personal service, we provide you with a machine to count your money. Just disgusted with the lack of personal service, that's why I'm leaving. It doesn't matter to them I suppose but it doesn't matter what they do from here, I'll NEVER BE BACK EVER.

Coin deposit machines not working at six branches. Can't bank staff count these days?.

Assorted coins each have their own standard thickness .I could make you a coin-counting machine by drilling holes in a block of wood to the appropriate depth for, say, 12 pennies, 20 shillings, 4 threepenny pieces, 2 sixpences, 24 halfpennies, 12 florins, 8 half-crowns . And indeed we have gone decimal so bank staff surely know how to cross-check the fewer denominations of coins by counting on their fingers.

For mass-production of such coin-counting machines I would use re-cycled plastic and artificial intelligence to make the boring machine work accurately as well as graduating internally the assorted holes so that the number of coins can be measured if they don't, as with the C-bank, stack up to the full quid. One could even install a laser to measure the level of the number of coins going in..........

I've read that it is not illegal, that businesses have a right to demand payment in the form they specify.

Having said that, I'm not sure what they could argue if a customer puts the exact amount down on the counter and takes the item.

I don't think a Police officer would appreciate her/his time wasted with:

"I called you because a customer refused to use her/his card and paid in cash".

Reactions: Zorro56
As an ex banker (25years working for them) I would swear on a bible that the banks' are behind trying to make us a cashless society as soon as possible. Just stop and think how much "No cash" adds to their profits. Reduced Insurance costs, reduced staff as no need to count or handle cash, elimination of ATMs' and all the expenses associated with operating them. And the list goes on. And of course, as usual, the spin the banks' use is that we, the customers, want this, and they are trying to help us. to that I say, BULLSHIT!!! AS one person in the article commented, Cash is legal tender. Surely businesses should not be allowed to refuse cash. If they do, go elsewhere. If we don't push back against a cashless society at every chance we get, then the Banks' will have won yet again.

What a joke. Money is their business and they don't want you in the bank for personal service, we provide you with a machine to count your money. Just disgusted with the lack of personal service, that's why I'm leaving. It doesn't matter to them I suppose but it doesn't matter what they do from here, I'll NEVER BE BACK EVER.
You are spot on. The staff no longer even know how to count cash. They are there to sell, sell, sell. home loans, personal loans, credit cards. why? because they are all big profit makers. They don't care about us, unless we are making them profit.

if cash is gone ...why do we need banks at all ...credit card companies will replace them, home loans come from assorted companies,auto payments are made by cc companies, no cheques any more..so what will banks do, seems to me credit cards are the go internationally payments are instant (banks take days )and cost heaps I think cc will be cheaper.. so why have banks at all...think about it!

Reactions: Zorro56
As an ex banker (25years working for them) I would swear on a bible that the banks' are behind trying to make us a cashless society as soon as possible. Just stop and think how much "No cash" adds to their profits. Reduced Insurance costs, reduced staff as no need to count or handle cash, elimination of ATMs' and all the expenses associated with operating them. And the list goes on. And of course, as usual, the spin the banks' use is that we, the customers, want this, and they are trying to help us. to that I say, BULLSHIT!!! AS one person in the article commented, Cash is legal tender. Surely businesses should not be allowed to refuse cash. If they do, go elsewhere. If we don't push back against a cashless society at every chance we get, then the Banks' will have won yet again.

Reactions: alkyon and Wayneo