Slimy sibling rivalry: Robert Irwin joins snail-naming tradition with new discovery

In the Land Down Under, where the legacy of the late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin continues to inspire wildlife conservation, a friendly sibling rivalry has taken a rather slimy turn.

The Irwin siblings, Bindi and Robert, have long been known for their passionate commitment to wildlife and their father's enduring mission.

However, the recent christening of a newly discovered snail species has added a new chapter to their tale of sibling camaraderie.

Dr Lorelle Stanisic, a scientist with a keen eye for the smaller inhabitants of our natural world, recently unveiled a discovery that has the wildlife community buzzing—or perhaps, slowly crawling with excitement.

A new species of native snail has been named Figuladra robertirwini, in honour of the 20-year-old wildlife warrior, Robert Irwin.

This naming makes Robert the third member of the Irwin family to have a snail named after them, joining his father Steve, who has the Crikey steveirwini, and his sister Bindi, who has a small charopid land snail bearing her name.

photo (14).jpg
Robert Irwin had a new native snail species named after him, Figuladra robertirwini. Credits: Instagram / Robert Irwin

The announcement from Australia Zoo highlighted that the species was named after Robert due to his ‘love for wildlife and the natural world’.

However, the story behind the naming reveals a touch of sibling dynamics that many families will find familiar.

During a TV appearance, Dr Stanisic recounted an anecdote that shed light on the decision.

‘My husband John was telling Terri (Irwin) all about how he was in the middle of naming this cute little snail after Bindi,’ she narrated.

‘I took one look at Robert’s face, Robert didn’t say a word, you could tell, like all brothers, he was thinking, “Oh gosh, she’s getting a snail.”’

‘I said, “It’s all right, Robert, I’ll name something after you,”’ she continued.

‘I had to decide which one I was going to name for Robert…’

Stanisic kept her promise and named her newest discovery after Robert.

‘I knew of his love of photography, so in the hope that he might go and actually photograph some of the beautiful areas of the Eurimbula National Park and Rodds Peninsula,’ she mentioned regarding the areas where the snails reside.

Figuladra robertirwini inhabits arid woodlands and dense vine growths.

The news was met with excitement and pride by the Irwin family. Robert shared the ‘huge honour’ on social media.

He wrote in his post, ‘This is particularly meaningful for me because so much of my environmental work is based around habitat preservation.’

‘Even though this is a new species, we already know habitat destruction is one of the leading threats to this species.’

‘So it’s very important to get the word out there...and they’re definitely in need of our protection,’ he added.

Robert’s mum, Terri Irwin, responded, saying, ‘Tremendous honour! What a special little creature!’

Meanwhile, the official Australia Zoo Instagram account echoed the sentiment, posting, ‘Congratulations Robert, this is so exciting!’

While the Irwin siblings navigate the complexities of their public personas, it's evident that their bond runs deep, shaped by both joyful moments and profound loss.

In a poignant revelation, Robert Irwin shared the heartbreaking impact of losing their father, Steve Irwin, shedding light on the enduring legacy of the legendary wildlife conservationist.

This emotional journey provides insight into the profound connection shared by the Irwin family, transcending fame and highlighting the resilience that continues to define their lives.
Key Takeaways
  • Robert Irwin had a new species of native snail, Figuladra robertirwini, named after him, becoming the third family member with a snail named in their honour.
  • The snail was named by scientist Dr Lorelle Stanisic, who recognised Robert's love for wildlife and photography, particularly in habitats where the snail can be found.
  • Robert expressed his gratitude on social media, highlighting the significance of habitat preservation for the new species and other wildlife.
  • The discovery of the snail intensified the friendly sibling rivalry between Bindi and Robert Irwin, with both having species named after them.
Have you ever experienced a moment of sibling rivalry that led to an unexpected or humorous outcome? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Reactions: Liag and Littleboy8
Sponsored
Save your eggshells crush them up and sprinkle around the garden or I put them in my plant pots snails hate eggshells.
I couldn’t squash them they are so cute.or chuck them over your neighbours fence if you hate your nieghbours.🤣