Robert Irwin shares heartbreaking impact of losing dad, Steve

Robert Irwin, the young wildlife enthusiast and son of the late 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin, has shared his heartfelt experiences of growing up without his father in a deeply personal interview with The Australian Women’s Weekly.

His candid revelations provided a poignant insight into the Irwin family's journey through grief and their ongoing commitment to Steve's legacy.

Robert, who has followed in his father's footsteps as a passionate advocate for wildlife conservation, graces the cover of the latest edition of the magazine. This makes him the third solo male to feature on the cover in recent times, joining the ranks of Hugh Jackman and Prince Harry.

However, this isn't his first appearance on the magazine's cover.

The first time was back in 2006, in a family photo taken before Steve's untimely death and used after for a special tribute issue.

rob1.JPG
Robert graces the cover of The Australian Women’s Weekly magazine. Source: The Australian Women’s Weekly.

Robert fondly recalled the day of that photoshoot, sharing a heartwarming anecdote with the magazine.

'I remember that day—my mum and dad [were] tickling me so I’d be laughing, and you’d get that amazing cover shot,' he reminisced.

'It was always the littlest tickle, and I’d just start cacking myself laughing!'

The interview, accompanied by a series of photos taken around the beloved Australia Zoo, discussed the emotional impact of losing his father just weeks before his third birthday.

Robert admitted: 'There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think: “Gosh, I wonder what I’d ask Dad if he was here.”’

‘When you lose a father figure at such a young age, who’s such a commanding presence of positivity and everything that is good in the world, of course, all I want is for him to be here for me, to go, “What do you think about this, what do you think about that?” There are so many things I wish I could ask him on so many levels,’ he continued.

Robert also paid homage to his mother, Terri, and older sister, Bindi, for their unwavering support and protection after Steve's tragic accident in 2006.

He acknowledged how they protected him after they lost Steve.

'When you are three, you don’t really even know what death means,' he shared.

'Whereas for Mum and Bindi, it was pure, unfiltered devastation and loss. The way they helped me navigate my life, I am so grateful for it. I will always feel like I am missing a part of myself, but I never feel like I missed out on anything.'

Bindi, who was eight years old when Steve passed away, has also followed in her father's footsteps as a wildlife conservationist and television personality.
Key Takeaways
  • Robert Irwin shared his experiences of growing up without his father, Steve Irwin, in an intimate interview with The Australian Women's Weekly magazine.
  • At a young age, Robert graced the cover of the iconic magazine with his family, and he recalls the tickling memory that led to the special cover shot.
  • Robert expresses that he often wonders what advice his father would give him and feels a profound loss, although he's grateful for the support from his mother, Terri, and sister, Bindi.
The Irwin family's dedication to wildlife conservation is a testament to Steve's enduring influence. His spirit lives on through their work, reminding us all of the importance of protecting our planet's wildlife.

What can you say about Robert’s emotional revelation, members? Share your stories and similar experiences with us in the comments!

Reactions: Jen Avo and margmck
Sponsored
Again! We all lose dads and other important people in our lives - Celebrities do not have this on their own.

Reactions: maggiej
I know what you mean. Although I was only 19 when my Dad passed it was also through an accident at work. What I miss most is being able to talk to him and giving me the most loving cuddles. To this day I will always feel lost because I never got to say goodbye. Be brave Robert, just knowing he is proud of you for following in his footsteps.

I was 34 when I lost my dad and I was devastated, I miss him so very much and there are so many things that I wish I could ask him. I think of him when I’m in the garden as he was a brilliant gardener, he could make anything grow. Miss and love you so very much dad.

We lost our youngest son and he was married with two young daughters which to me was the most saddest thing for them . He had waited a long time for children and loved them so much as we all did. Many families go through all this sad trauma and do not normally publicly talk about this.

The added pressure of being in the public eye when a tragedy occurs, would bring a different set of problems than the average person would experience.

It’s not that it means their losses are more important. There seems to be a bit of resentment when attention is focussed on famous people.

My dad died 30 years ago, but I don’t begrudge the attention that others may attract from their losses.

“It’s so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
—JOHN STEINBECK

I just added that quote because I like it.😉

I know just how he feels. My best friend of 40yrs passed away 20mths ago, 20hrs before I was due to arrive at his place for a holiday. A day doesn't go past that I don't think about him and the amount of times I've picked up the phone to ring him then remember he's no longer here starts the water works going again. You never get over that kind of loss.

I was two when my father took me for a walk ..we sat on a wooden seat near the shops and told me that he was going away and that I would never see him again......To this day I can remember that moment...It left me growing up feeling very insecure, and different from my friends with fathers. I have to say though that my mother did a stellar job at bringing both my brother and myself up to be good citizens.