Sleep better tonight! Discover astonishing drug that slashes sleep apnoea symptoms

Adequate sleep is crucial for our overall well-being and ability to perform daily tasks effectively. Sleep directly impacts cognitive function, mood, and physical health, and it is essential for maintaining optimal productivity and quality of life.

A new drug has shown remarkable results in reducing the effects of obstructive sleep apnoea, a condition affecting an estimated 38 per cent of Australians, with many in the senior demographic.

The new weight loss drug trial, tirzepatide, has been found to 'cure' obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) in some cases.

The drug, which is administered through injection, was initially developed to help with weight loss, but researchers have discovered it has a significant impact on sleep apnoea as well.

In a trial that involved around 470 participants worldwide, some were given the drug alone, while others were given a mask and machine.

1718931699252.png
A new drug trial has been shown to result in up to a 60 per cent improvement in sleep apnoea. Credit: 9News Australia / YouTube

After a year, those on tirzepatide shed nearly 20 per cent of their body weight, and the severity of their sleep apnoea was reduced by a staggering 60 per cent.

One participant, Damon Sedgwick, shared his personal struggle with sleep apnoea.

‘I know I snored, but I was told it was pretty bad, I was told you actually stop breathing during the night,’ he said.

‘It was 63 times an hour.’

After using tirzepatide, he not only dropped 30 kilograms but also saw his sleep apnoea symptoms virtually vanish.

‘I was waking up many times through the night, and by the time I finished the program, you could almost say I was cured,’ Sedgwick stated.

The Woolcock Institute of Medical Research's Professor Ron Grunstein expressed excitement over the drug's potential, noting that body weight is the number one risk factor for moderate to severe sleep apnoea.

‘I've not seen any medication that has produced such a dramatic result, and while it doesn't surprise us in a way because we knew that these medications cause significant weight loss, we didn't know how much they would improve sleep apnoea,’ he said.

‘So I think it's the first medication that really does the job.’

However, the Woolcock Institute's dietitian, Claudia Harper, cautioned that weight maintenance remains a challenge once patients stop taking the drug.

‘It's good to start embedding lifestyle habits that are going to stick around for the long haul,’ she said.

The Woolcock Institute and several other centres nationwide are recruiting patients for another trial involving a newer, potentially more potent weight loss drug.

They are specifically looking for individuals with type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea to participate.
You can watch the news here:

Credit: 9News Australia / YouTube​

In a related development, researchers have introduced an alternative treatment for individuals with sleep apnoea who find it difficult to use CPAP machines.

This method involves stabilizing the tongue to maintain an open airway during sleep. More details on this breakthrough can be found here.
Key Takeaways

• A new drug trial in Australia have shown promising results in dramatically improving obstructive sleep apnoea by up to 60 per cent.
  • The trial focused on a weight loss, tirzepatide, which helped participants shed nearly 20 per cent of their weight and reduce the severity of their sleep apnoea.
  • Damon Sedgwick, reported significant improvement in his condition, suggesting that the drug helped make his sleep apnoea nearly disappear.
  • While the weight loss drug showed potential benefits for sleep apnoea patients, maintaining weight loss and managing side effects like nausea and diarrhoea were highlighted as important considerations.
Have you or a loved one been affected by sleep apnoea? What treatments have you tried, and how have they impacted your life? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
It makes sense that a drug created for weight loss would help with sleep apnea.

“Weight loss of just 10-15% can reduce the severity of OSA by 50% in moderately obese patients. Unfortunately, while weight loss can provide meaningful improvements in OSA, it usually does not lead to a complete cure, and many sleep apnea patients need additional therapies.”
www.sleep foundation.org.
30 April 2024

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
Sleep apnea is no joke. I'm up for anything that promises relief. I'm planning to try a sleep apnea treatment in Singapore since I'm going there on vacation soon, but it sounds like this drug is also worth a try.
I've tried positional therapy, which helps a bit but doesn't bring permanent relief. Fingers crossed, this one will.