Slash your energy bills by HUNDREDS a month this winter with these tips from experts

Ah, winter. Usually a time of hot chocolate, fuzzy socks, and snuggling up near the fire. But with the cold weather comes something much less appealing: energy bills that can sometimes be the (frigid) bane of our existence.

As anyone who’s been around the block a few times will tell you, bills can often be a significant source of financial strain, especially when faced with rising costs of living.

So, to help you out this season, here is some advice on how to slash those energy bills by hundreds of dollars!

First up, don’t let your appliances do all the work! Thanks to research conducted by Canstar Blue, they’ve calculated that exchanging habits around your washing machines, ovens, dishwashers, etc., with conscious decision-making, can help you save quite a bit of money.

Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 2.23.47 PM.png
By implementing a few simple changes to your daily habits at home, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars this winter. Credit: Shutterstock.

Let's start in the laundry, where the washing machine and dryer are two of the most frequently used appliances. Canstar Blue recommends reducing the number of loads per week from eight to three, as this could save you up to $6.32 per month on washing machine energy and up to $20 per month on clothes dryer energy.

That's already around $26.32 per month saved—sounds like a great deal, doesn't it?

Moving on to the kitchen, where the oven and dishwasher are hungry energy consumers. Instead of using the oven for three hours per day, Canstar Blue suggests cutting the use down to just one hour, potentially saving you up to $35 monthly.

This might be the perfect time to consider batch cooking your meals—not only does it save energy, but it can also help plan healthy meals.

As for the dishwasher, reducing the number of loads per week from eight to three could save you around $4.45. After all, if you're cooking less, you'll have fewer pots and pans to wash!

Now, let's turn our attention to the living room and the ever-looming TV use. Reducing TV usage from 14 hours per day to just 6 hours could put an extra $8.99 back into your pocket monthly. Maybe it's time to pick up that book you've been meaning to read or even take up a new hobby.

Last but not least, let's address the all-important heating issue during the winter months.

According to Canstar Blue, if you have a portable electric heater, cutting down its usage from 8 hours per day to 2 hours could save you a whopping $100 monthly! If you're a portable gas heater owner, reducing usage from 8 to 2 hours could save up to $107 monthly. That's a significant amount of savings right there.

Presented below are the findings from the Canstar Blue study, illustrating the potential savings achievable by an average four-person household monthly through the reduction of their everyday appliance use.

Electronic usage cost.jpg

Key Takeaways

• Households can save up to $300 a month on energy bills this winter by making changes to how they use appliances.
  • Some suggested changes include reducing the number of loads of laundry, cutting down on oven and dishwasher usage, watching less television, and limiting heater usage.
  • Canstar Blue also encourages bulk cooking meals and picking up hobbies like reading as alternatives to using energy-consuming appliances and devices.
  • Save on energy bills by sharing tips and strategies in the comments section for others to benefit from during the winter season.

These tips should serve as a helpful reminder that taking small daily steps could save you a ton during these chilly months, allowing you to spend your money on the things that really matter—like spending quality time with loved ones or perhaps treating yourself to a little indulgence.

Have any of you tried these tips already? Or are they new information for you? If you have more tips on saving energy this winter season, please share them in the comments below! We'd love to hear from you! So stay warm, and let's all save together, members!

Sponsored
I was given a clothes dryer by my ex-husband for an anniversary present when my baby was born (cloth nappies in those days) I was not impressed to get it for the anniversary To me it was essential, especially in Cairns in the wet season. I just left it with him when I left. Haven't had one since. I find that the only way I can pay for the electricity is to borrow from Centrelink as an advance on my pension that way I pay no interest & I have been doing it for so long now they always accommodate me every 3 months. Yes, it means that they take nearly $40.00 out each fortnight but as my son-in-law is on the new start from Centrelink because he can't work & he just doesn't get enough to pay the bill any more so it is up to me to use this solution. I only hope the power doesn't go up too much as I won't be able to cop a huge bill. Luckily we only have electricity & not gas as well.

• Sad
Reactions: TheBear
I live in a new house with solar on the roof , no bills so far . Given away the dryer years ago to the removalist. There is a dishwasher , but only the two of us in the house , I just wash up in a small tub every night , no big deal.
If it rains , I do not use the washing machine , have plenty of clothes to wear for more than a week.
We have reverse air-con , use in Summer when it is very hot , have not needed the hot air , still warm enough. Take a hot water bottle to bed , which is very comfy. Turn off all the switches . We also have two big water tanks to use for watering the garden . I use my oven a lot , also cook for more days . I have gas for the stove , which costs only $24 .- a year.

Reactions: TheBear
Ah, winter. Usually a time of hot chocolate, fuzzy socks, and snuggling up near the fire. But with the cold weather comes something much less appealing: energy bills that can sometimes be the (frigid) bane of our existence.

As anyone who’s been around the block a few times will tell you, bills can often be a significant source of financial strain, especially when faced with rising costs of living.

So, to help you out this season, here is some advice on how to slash those energy bills by hundreds of dollars!

First up, don’t let your appliances do all the work! Thanks to research conducted by Canstar Blue, they’ve calculated that exchanging habits around your washing machines, ovens, dishwashers, etc., with conscious decision-making, can help you save quite a bit of money.

View attachment 22518
By implementing a few simple changes to your daily habits at home, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars this winter. Credit: Shutterstock.

Let's start in the laundry, where the washing machine and dryer are two of the most frequently used appliances. Canstar Blue recommends reducing the number of loads per week from eight to three, as this could save you up to $6.32 per month on washing machine energy and up to $20 per month on clothes dryer energy.

That's already around $26.32 per month saved—sounds like a great deal, doesn't it?

Moving on to the kitchen, where the oven and dishwasher are hungry energy consumers. Instead of using the oven for three hours per day, Canstar Blue suggests cutting the use down to just one hour, potentially saving you up to $35 monthly.

This might be the perfect time to consider batch cooking your meals—not only does it save energy, but it can also help plan healthy meals.

As for the dishwasher, reducing the number of loads per week from eight to three could save you around $4.45. After all, if you're cooking less, you'll have fewer pots and pans to wash!

Now, let's turn our attention to the living room and the ever-looming TV use. Reducing TV usage from 14 hours per day to just 6 hours could put an extra $8.99 back into your pocket monthly. Maybe it's time to pick up that book you've been meaning to read or even take up a new hobby.

Last but not least, let's address the all-important heating issue during the winter months.

According to Canstar Blue, if you have a portable electric heater, cutting down its usage from 8 hours per day to 2 hours could save you a whopping $100 monthly! If you're a portable gas heater owner, reducing usage from 8 to 2 hours could save up to $107 monthly. That's a significant amount of savings right there.

Presented below are the findings from the Canstar Blue study, illustrating the potential savings achievable by an average four-person household monthly through the reduction of their everyday appliance use.

Key Takeaways

• Households can save up to $300 a month on energy bills this winter by making changes to how they use appliances.
  • Some suggested changes include reducing the number of loads of laundry, cutting down on oven and dishwasher usage, watching less television, and limiting heater usage.
  • Canstar Blue also encourages bulk cooking meals and picking up hobbies like reading as alternatives to using energy-consuming appliances and devices.
  • Save on energy bills by sharing tips and strategies in the comments section for others to benefit from during the winter season.

These tips should serve as a helpful reminder that taking small daily steps could save you a ton during these chilly months, allowing you to spend your money on the things that really matter—like spending quality time with loved ones or perhaps treating yourself to a little indulgence.

Have any of you tried these tips already? Or are they new information for you? If you have more tips on saving energy this winter season, please share them in the comments below! We'd love to hear from you! So stay warm, and let's all save together, members!
Absolutely brilliant - thanks for the tips! I'm not sure what people who need to do 8 washes a week will do with the extra 5 washes per week of dirty clothes though... throw them out and buy new ones? Great for the environment. Also the people who can reduce their heating from 8 hours to 2 hours - what a saving! Why not just not heat at all and just get sick from the cold and end up in a cosy hospital bed. Why on earth do you publish this rubbish.

I have been keeping records of my electricity consumption since moving into my current home in late 2009, and over the past 13 years, consumption has been fairly steady at around 3500 kWh per annum, this includes air conditioning in summer but no heating in winter. So I am not hugely concerned about the cost, even allowing for the spike in charges.

My concern is the damn gas bill and I regret allowing my builder to convince me to have ducted gas heating instead of ducted reverse cycle air conditioning. I only use gas for hot water and for heating and my winter gas bill has been around $1,600! But there is no way on earth that I will sit in a cold house! My comfort level is 23 degrees.
I imagine you are on town gas Trudi. I noticed a massive difference when l moved to my new home that had bottled gas. It was about a fifth of the price of town gas.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
if anyone uses a dryer in queensland they are nuts.
We are in Tasmania and don't have a drier on wintery days the clothes are hung in front of the wood fire no electric heaters an we just got rid of gas because it doubled in price in just a couple of years put on solar we use our own power through the day any excess is sold to the grid our summer bill $89 my daughter and her husband and 3 kids live on our property also that bill is for all of us

We had a dryer years ago and when it broke down didn’t replace it. Now only dry outside then toast off inside on racks. Wall rack in our Laundry is handy too. If washing mounts up because of rainy days, it’s off to the Launderette to dry a couple of loads. Usually costs about $6. I suspect that drying time allowance will be reduced with increased Electricity rates. 🙁

View attachment 22518

Key Takeaways

I live in Tweed Heads, almost in Queensland but just in NSW, and don't use my appliances much at all except for my TV with its Chromecast feature. Would that consume much electricity?

I also use my microwave cooker, as opposed to a regular over almost daily. Do microwave ovens consume considerable energy amounts?

On my roof I have installed 23 large solar panels. I used to get paid by my electricity provider rather than me paying them, but recently that has changed. Could that be due to my fairly recently starting to use Chromecast?

View attachment 22518

Key Takeaways

I should be saving a ton of money. Don't use the stove, oven, dishwasher, heater air conditioner, or TV, turn off all the lights except the room, wash once a week and reuse the water... I think that covers everything. Oh and I forgot one expensive gadget....the wife..... she left.

Just me and my dog. Don't have a dishwasher, let 2 or 3 days go by before I do the dishes in ½ a sinkful of water. Only use dryer if absolutely necessary (ie if need my work clothes). Two wash loads per week dry everything inside.Door stops, all blinds/curtains closed at night (winter) gas heating for 2-3 hrs. I make sure all my gas cylinders are full before the cold sets in. Separate gas for hot water, one 45kg cylinder can last me a year (short showers). I DO NOT have an electric blanket, these are big culprits in electricity guzzling. I just use blankets.
If I go out, and at night all power points except fridge off (including modem). Don't leave the phone on charge all night). All lights now L E D's. As I cook for one I use a pair of single burner gas stoves. Only use the oven or hot plates if I want to do something different. I also have oil lamps, rechargeable torches, candles for when in blackout. Have I missed anything?
Thermal Underwear, keeps you warm as toast.

I have been keeping records of my electricity consumption since moving into my current home in late 2009, and over the past 13 years, consumption has been fairly steady at around 3500 kWh per annum, this includes air conditioning in summer but no heating in winter. So I am not hugely concerned about the cost, even allowing for the spike in charges.

My concern is the damn gas bill and I regret allowing my builder to convince me to have ducted gas heating instead of ducted reverse cycle air conditioning. I only use gas for hot water and for heating and my winter gas bill has been around $1,600! But there is no way on earth that I will sit in a cold house! My comfort level is 23 degrees
shut doors to rooms that are not in use

Just me and my dog. Don't have a dishwasher, let 2 or 3 days go by before I do the dishes in ½ a sinkful of water. Only use dryer if absolutely necessary (ie if need my work clothes). Two wash loads per week dry everything inside.Door stops, all blinds/curtains closed at night (winter) gas heating for 2-3 hrs. I make sure all my gas cylinders are full before the cold sets in. Separate gas for hot water, one 45kg cylinder can last me a year (short showers). I DO NOT have an electric blanket, these are big culprits in electricity guzzling. I just use blankets.
If I go out, and at night all power points except fridge off (including modem). Don't leave the phone on charge all night). All lights now L E D's. As I cook for one I use a pair of single burner gas stoves. Only use the oven or hot plates if I want to do something different. I also have oil lamps, rechargeable torches, candles for when in blackout. Have I missed anything?
microwave ?very cheap reheating (cooking)

Always look up to see different ways to keep warm, to see if I can save a bit more on the bills.
Use dishwater very rarely thou I have to say dishwasher comes in handy to drain my dishes.
My way is blankets, gloves, hats, jacket. Importantly my hot water bottle.
Do not have a dryer. Clothes horses does the job for me.

Reactions: IAN3005
Always look up to see different ways to keep warm, to see if I can save a bit more on the bills.
Use dishwater very rarely thou I have to say dishwasher comes in handy to drain my dishes.
My way is blankets, gloves, hats, jacket. Importantly my hot water bottle.
Do not have a dryer. Clothes horses does the job for me.
Never use the dishwasher or a hot water bottle. All my blankets are from the dump.