Slash your energy bills by HUNDREDS a month this winter with these tips from experts

Ah, winter. Usually a time of hot chocolate, fuzzy socks, and snuggling up near the fire. But with the cold weather comes something much less appealing: energy bills that can sometimes be the (frigid) bane of our existence.

As anyone who’s been around the block a few times will tell you, bills can often be a significant source of financial strain, especially when faced with rising costs of living.

So, to help you out this season, here is some advice on how to slash those energy bills by hundreds of dollars!

First up, don’t let your appliances do all the work! Thanks to research conducted by Canstar Blue, they’ve calculated that exchanging habits around your washing machines, ovens, dishwashers, etc., with conscious decision-making, can help you save quite a bit of money.

Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 2.23.47 PM.png
By implementing a few simple changes to your daily habits at home, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars this winter. Credit: Shutterstock.

Let's start in the laundry, where the washing machine and dryer are two of the most frequently used appliances. Canstar Blue recommends reducing the number of loads per week from eight to three, as this could save you up to $6.32 per month on washing machine energy and up to $20 per month on clothes dryer energy.

That's already around $26.32 per month saved—sounds like a great deal, doesn't it?

Moving on to the kitchen, where the oven and dishwasher are hungry energy consumers. Instead of using the oven for three hours per day, Canstar Blue suggests cutting the use down to just one hour, potentially saving you up to $35 monthly.

This might be the perfect time to consider batch cooking your meals—not only does it save energy, but it can also help plan healthy meals.

As for the dishwasher, reducing the number of loads per week from eight to three could save you around $4.45. After all, if you're cooking less, you'll have fewer pots and pans to wash!

Now, let's turn our attention to the living room and the ever-looming TV use. Reducing TV usage from 14 hours per day to just 6 hours could put an extra $8.99 back into your pocket monthly. Maybe it's time to pick up that book you've been meaning to read or even take up a new hobby.

Last but not least, let's address the all-important heating issue during the winter months.

According to Canstar Blue, if you have a portable electric heater, cutting down its usage from 8 hours per day to 2 hours could save you a whopping $100 monthly! If you're a portable gas heater owner, reducing usage from 8 to 2 hours could save up to $107 monthly. That's a significant amount of savings right there.

Presented below are the findings from the Canstar Blue study, illustrating the potential savings achievable by an average four-person household monthly through the reduction of their everyday appliance use.

Electronic usage cost.jpg

Key Takeaways

• Households can save up to $300 a month on energy bills this winter by making changes to how they use appliances.
  • Some suggested changes include reducing the number of loads of laundry, cutting down on oven and dishwasher usage, watching less television, and limiting heater usage.
  • Canstar Blue also encourages bulk cooking meals and picking up hobbies like reading as alternatives to using energy-consuming appliances and devices.
  • Save on energy bills by sharing tips and strategies in the comments section for others to benefit from during the winter season.

These tips should serve as a helpful reminder that taking small daily steps could save you a ton during these chilly months, allowing you to spend your money on the things that really matter—like spending quality time with loved ones or perhaps treating yourself to a little indulgence.

Have any of you tried these tips already? Or are they new information for you? If you have more tips on saving energy this winter season, please share them in the comments below! We'd love to hear from you! So stay warm, and let's all save together, members!

Sponsored
Ah, winter. Usually a time of hot chocolate, fuzzy socks, and snuggling up near the fire. But with the cold weather comes something much less appealing: energy bills that can sometimes be the (frigid) bane of our existence.

As anyone who’s been around the block a few times will tell you, bills can often be a significant source of financial strain, especially when faced with rising costs of living.

So, to help you out this season, here is some advice on how to slash those energy bills by hundreds of dollars!

First up, don’t let your appliances do all the work! Thanks to research conducted by Canstar Blue, they’ve calculated that exchanging habits around your washing machines, ovens, dishwashers, etc., with conscious decision-making, can help you save quite a bit of money.

View attachment 22518
By implementing a few simple changes to your daily habits at home, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars this winter. Credit: Shutterstock.

Let's start in the laundry, where the washing machine and dryer are two of the most frequently used appliances. Canstar Blue recommends reducing the number of loads per week from eight to three, as this could save you up to $6.32 per month on washing machine energy and up to $20 per month on clothes dryer energy.

That's already around $26.32 per month saved—sounds like a great deal, doesn't it?

Moving on to the kitchen, where the oven and dishwasher are hungry energy consumers. Instead of using the oven for three hours per day, Canstar Blue suggests cutting the use down to just one hour, potentially saving you up to $35 monthly.

This might be the perfect time to consider batch cooking your meals—not only does it save energy, but it can also help plan healthy meals.

As for the dishwasher, reducing the number of loads per week from eight to three could save you around $4.45. After all, if you're cooking less, you'll have fewer pots and pans to wash!

Now, let's turn our attention to the living room and the ever-looming TV use. Reducing TV usage from 14 hours per day to just 6 hours could put an extra $8.99 back into your pocket monthly. Maybe it's time to pick up that book you've been meaning to read or even take up a new hobby.

Last but not least, let's address the all-important heating issue during the winter months.

According to Canstar Blue, if you have a portable electric heater, cutting down its usage from 8 hours per day to 2 hours could save you a whopping $100 monthly! If you're a portable gas heater owner, reducing usage from 8 to 2 hours could save up to $107 monthly. That's a significant amount of savings right there.

Presented below are the findings from the Canstar Blue study, illustrating the potential savings achievable by an average four-person household monthly through the reduction of their everyday appliance use.

Key Takeaways

• Households can save up to $300 a month on energy bills this winter by making changes to how they use appliances.
  • Some suggested changes include reducing the number of loads of laundry, cutting down on oven and dishwasher usage, watching less television, and limiting heater usage.
  • Canstar Blue also encourages bulk cooking meals and picking up hobbies like reading as alternatives to using energy-consuming appliances and devices.
  • Save on energy bills by sharing tips and strategies in the comments section for others to benefit from during the winter season.

These tips should serve as a helpful reminder that taking small daily steps could save you a ton during these chilly months, allowing you to spend your money on the things that really matter—like spending quality time with loved ones or perhaps treating yourself to a little indulgence.

Have any of you tried these tips already? Or are they new information for you? If you have more tips on saving energy this winter season, please share them in the comments below! We'd love to hear from you! So stay warm, and let's all save together, members!

I have been turning my hot water of during the day ,turn it back on after 3 days
I live on my own ,find the water is still hot for showers,washing up ,I also wash my dishes
once a day,I turn all power points of at the switch to ,just have to find away to put my inter onto a point,So I can turn of everything else to save ,plus when my grandchildren are staying in with me they use good torches instead of electric lights in the bedroom ,hoping it brings my electricity bill down a lot

I have some suggestions to help keep a home warmer in winter.

Get some tubes of gap filler and move around the house squirting the filler into ever crack that is near windows and doors.This helps to seal the gaps and stop draughts and cold air entering the house. It is cheap to do and only takes your time.

Econo - Seal is an insulation tape that comes in 5metre rolls from Bunnings and it is easily applied on aluminium doors and windows from inside the house.
See attached photos. Is easy to do and it does make a difference.

A weekend job so hop to it.

Attachments

• 20230606_072049.jpg
    20230606_072049.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_071930.jpg
    20230606_071930.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 22518

Key Takeaways

Another way of reducing power bills is to replace all halogen light bulbs with LED.
A company named Accredited Power is whom I used and check out their website and they have a great offer that needs to be taken advantage of. You wont be disappointed and your quarterly power bills will come down. The costs offered are cheaper than what you would pay a local electrician and with this out of control cost of living then this will certainly be more beneficial in more ways than one.I've had LED for the past twelve months and its been money well spent will my power bills a lit lower than previously.

View attachment 22518

Key Takeaways

If you starve, freeze, never wash and never change your clothes you can save heaps..

Recently had our Tariff 33 power system changed, without our consent, from going off for 3 hours 6:30 to 9:30pm & it now goes off at 8 to 11 or 11:30am. We have solar power and have been feeding into the grid getting a decent bonus cheque each year.

This now means we do not have the benefit of the sun making more power to feed into the grid during the day so have to use ‘paid power’ with less power fed into the grid with that cut off during daylight hours when sun can make more solar power for the grid.

A CUNNING WAY TO CHANGE THINGS TO SUIT THE POWER COMPANY - AGL - AND GIVE US A SMALLER CHEQUE AT THE END OF THE YEAR AS WELL AS CHARGE US FOR POWER USED BY CUTTING FREE SOLAR USAGE DURING THE DAY & SOLAR FEED INO THE GRID. This now stops us from using washing machine until after 11:30 and our washing has to stay out on the line overnight to get the benefit of sunshine to dry especially in winter.

I imagine that the reason power in Tasmania is pricier as it is off the mainland, but why is South Australian power the second highest in the country? 🙁

When my clothes dryer stopped working I never replaced it , that was an appliance that was too easy to just pop the washing into instead of hanging up.
Now we hang up all our washing.

My oven is one thing I won't cut down on .

Washing machine we can't stop washing our clothes and we always have a full machine.

We use a slow combustion wood heater so no need to use a heater . It basically heats our whole house and there is a thing called blankets if anyone needs extra warmth .

I have blockout curtains and great draft stoppers at the front door.

Really it only takes a bit of common sense

When my clothes dryer stopped working I never replaced it , that was an appliance that was too easy to just pop the washing into instead of hanging up.
Now we hang up all our washing.

My oven is one thing I won't cut down on .

Washing machine we can't stop washing our clothes and we always have a full machine.

We use a slow combustion wood heater so no need to use a heater . It basically heats our whole house and there is a thing called blankets if anyone needs extra warmth .

I have blockout curtains and great draft stoppers at the front door.

Really it only takes a bit of common sense
Would love to cut down on dryer use but with no where to hang it when it is raining the best I could do was purchase a heat pump dryer, we have solar so while the new dryer will save on running costs I still only use it during the day. would love to go back to a slow combustion fire like we had when we were last renting because they do heat the whole house but the cost of a delivery of wood here is very expensive the average cost for a trailer load is over $500.00 and that amount of wood will not last all winter.

Would love to cut down on dryer use but with no where to hang it when it is raining the best I could do was purchase a heat pump dryer, we have solar so while the new dryer will save on running costs I still only use it during the day. would love to go back to a slow combustion fire like we had when we were last renting because they do heat the whole house but the cost of a delivery of wood here is very expensive the average cost for a trailer load is over $500.00 and that amount of wood will not last all winter.
We are lucky hubby has a friend who is a tree lopper and he is always bringing wood which we just have to season for 1 year.

When it's raining we put up lines under our pergola and amazing how quick it dries.
When it's raining for days on end my kids take their washing to the laundromat, my daughter pays $12 for 2 large loads this is washing it and drying it. I tell her better she pays this than us getting a shock when we get the electricity bill.

One of my sons sometimes drops his washing off , one large bag full and they was , dry and fold for $15

I have been keeping records of my electricity consumption since moving into my current home in late 2009, and over the past 13 years, consumption has been fairly steady at around 3500 kWh per annum, this includes air conditioning in summer but no heating in winter. So I am not hugely concerned about the cost, even allowing for the spike in charges.

My concern is the damn gas bill and I regret allowing my builder to convince me to have ducted gas heating instead of ducted reverse cycle air conditioning. I only use gas for hot water and for heating and my winter gas bill has been around $1,600! But there is no way on earth that I will sit in a cold house! My comfort level is 23 degrees.

I consider myself lucky. I have a 6.6 solar system, also invested in a heat pump dryer, but still only use it if absolutely necessary.
I cook in bulk one day a week and if just heating up something I use my small pizza oven .
I don't know how a family of 4 could get away with only 3 loads of washing. Sheets, towels, bathmats, tea towels etc would just about take up that, what about clothes.
I also have a wood heater, wood keeps going up every year, but I did manage to get 2ton of split jarrah delivered for $600 whereas my girlfriend was quoted $460/ton plus delivery???.
My last electricity bill was $176.85, the previous one only $58.

Just me and my dog. Don't have a dishwasher, let 2 or 3 days go by before I do the dishes in ½ a sinkful of water. Only use dryer if absolutely necessary (ie if need my work clothes). Two wash loads per week dry everything inside.Door stops, all blinds/curtains closed at night (winter) gas heating for 2-3 hrs. I make sure all my gas cylinders are full before the cold sets in. Separate gas for hot water, one 45kg cylinder can last me a year (short showers). I DO NOT have an electric blanket, these are big culprits in electricity guzzling. I just use blankets.
If I go out, and at night all power points except fridge off (including modem). Don't leave the phone on charge all night). All lights now L E D's. As I cook for one I use a pair of single burner gas stoves. Only use the oven or hot plates if I want to do something different. I also have oil lamps, rechargeable torches, candles for when in blackout. Have I missed anything?

View attachment 22518

Key Takeaways

if anyone uses a dryer in queensland they are nuts.