Skip Centrelink lines forever! Major update transforms how you'll get your benefits!

Navigating the Centrelink system has long been a source of frustration for many Australians.

Long queues and wait times have always been a common complaint, especially for those over 60 who have trouble standing for long periods of time.

However, a significant change is on the horizon that promises to make the process much smoother and more respectful of your time.

Gone are the days of standing in line for what feels like an eternity at your local service centre.

Centrelink recipients can now rejoice as a new appointment system has been introduced, allowing you to book a 15-minute phone appointment or a 30-minute face-to-face meeting at over 300 service centres across the nation.

compressed-shutterstock_468262271 (1).jpeg
Centrelink's new appointment system lets recipients book phone or in-person meetings, eliminating the need to queue at service centres. Credit: Shutterstock

This major update is a breath of fresh air for those who rely on Centrelink services.

The initiative follows a successful trial in Hobart, which Minister for Government Services Bill Shorten has hailed as a triumph.

It's a move that aligns with the modern need for efficiency and convenience in all aspects of life, including accessing government services.

The new system is already proving popular, with more than 81,700 appointments booked online.

However, for those who prefer or require a more personal touch, phone bookings remain an option.

‘You can book a phone or face-to-face appointment by calling your regular payment line,’ Services Australia said.

Simply call your regular payment line to schedule an appointment for services such as ABSTUDY, Age Pension, Carer Payment, Digital Coaching, Disability Support Pension, JobSeeker Payment, Parenting Payments, Youth Allowance, and My Aged Care.

Managing your appointments is also a breeze. With a few clicks in your MyGov account, you can schedule, reschedule, or cancel your bookings.

To book online, recipients must log into their MyGov account, choose ‘documents and appointments’ from the menu, then click on ‘appointments’ and ‘manage appointments’.

The process is designed to be user-friendly, with the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app offering easy prompts right from the home screen.

When it's time for your appointment, remember to arrive 10 minutes early to ‘check in’. Don't forget to bring your ID and any necessary documents to ensure your meeting goes as smoothly as possible.

‘We know people want the convenience online services provide, but sometimes they need to talk to someone,’ Minister Shorten stated.

‘This new service offers the best of both worlds for people who want or need to visit their local service centre.’

‘People can go online and choose a time that suits them for an appointment, either on the phone or at their chosen service centre, and they don’t have to spend time in a queue,’ he added.

With the recent overhaul allowing Centrelink recipients to bypass queues at service centres, there's been a notable shift towards improving accessibility and efficiency.

However, amidst these positive changes, it's crucial for recipients to remain vigilant about potential scams.

Services Australia has issued a warning regarding deceptive ‘bonus’ Centrelink payments, urging people to be cautious and verify the legitimacy of any unexpected offers or payments.

This shift underscores the importance of staying informed and safeguarding oneself against fraudulent schemes while navigating the evolving Centrelink services.
Key Takeaways
  • Centrelink has introduced a new appointment system allowing recipients to book phone or face-to-face appointments, alleviating the need to queue at service centres.
  • Bookings can be made online via MyGov, over the phone, or through the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.
  • More than 81,700 appointments have been booked since the launch of the system, following a successful trial in Hobart.
  • Minister for Government Services Bill Shorten highlighted that the system provides convenience and a choice between online services and speaking directly to someone at a service centre.
Have you tried booking an appointment yet? How was your experience? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below, and let's discuss how these changes impact the community.

Sponsored
well, am unsure as this run around is any better, the method via my gov is not the most efficentway in my book, for the record did not at any time did I had to wait for long periods for to see a person at centre link. akso did find it an experience to view the surroundings/ cheers.

Having worked at Centrelink for 21 years this is nothing new other than being able to book online. In my years there I couldn't tell you how many times they reinvented the wheel. I have always felt that appointments work better than walk ins.

Let's hope this system works more efficiently.
Last year I had to report a change in circumstances that was a bit complicated to explain and didn't fit in with the questions online
I spent over five weeks trying to get through on the phone. In the end I did the one and a quarter hour trip to our nearest centre office to be told as I didn't have an appointment I had to come back the next week.
As I was carer to my husband and daughter at that time this was very inconvenient and I had to make arrangements for care for them again in my absence
When I finally got to see someone I was reprimanded for not advising these changes within the required 14 days 🤷
Nothing was done about these changes over the next few months and then my husband passed away.
I drove there again to advise them. This time I didn't need an appointment, they saw me straight away. My husband disappeared from the system in seconds,along with my carer allowance. Appears they can be extremely efficient when the boot is on the other foot and you are not asking to receive a payment.

Well let see if they answer the phone to make an appointment. My Gov account is locked and it will stay that way so online is not option for me.

Reactions: PattiB
Dealing with any Government Agency is a nightmare. And Qld Transport has the worst online service I have ever used. Also if anyone on a Pension move to Qld from NSW. Keep all licience and rego in NSW. They only give you a couple of hundred dollars of rego. 6 cylinder car $800+ (round figures)

Dealing with any Government Agency is a nightmare. And Qld Transport has the worst online service I have ever used. Also if anyone on a Pension move to Qld from NSW. Keep all licience and rego in NSW. They only give you a couple of hundred dollars of rego. 6 cylinder car $800+ (round figures)
And believe it or not NSW is stinger than WA. My son wants me to move to NSW but I would be so much worse off on concessions.

To start pensioners who live 100kms outside the CBD get a $675 fuel card each year, $700 off our Council rates, 50%off our water rates and charges, 50% off car rego, free drivers licence for age pensioners,
$400 security rebate, $107.12 cost of living allowance.
There are other smaller concessions such as entry to National Parks, etc. I would be in excess of $2000/yr worse off if I was to leave good old WA.
Plus I love WA. I left Victoria 50 years ago and have never wanted to go back.

Promises, promises, that’s what we get told all the time, in reality nothing ever changes unless for the worst. With all the extra staff employed the waiting times haven’t changed for phone calls, and when you get through to someone you are lucky if you get a person who speaks clear English that you can actually understand what they are saying, then more often than not they don’t know the answer to any questions you ask anyway. So round and round you go again, wasting time and getting nowhere. Typical of all government services these days, you are lucky to even get a real live person to talk to at a lot of places, just automated messages, then plonk, down goes the phone.

Having worked at Centrelink for 21 years this is nothing new other than being able to book online. In my years there I couldn't tell you how many times they reinvented the wheel. I have always felt that appointments work better than walk ins.
My experience is the opposite.
Walk-ins wait around 5 mins at the local Centrelink Offuce.
Booking online is a ploy to stop complaints about phone dropouts and call-backs that never happen, even though : "We'll call you, and you won't lose your place in the queue."
Oh yes you will.
Don't fall for the call-back trick!

If I have to go to centrelink I always take a book or something to read as you can be there for a while. They seem to be so busy everytime I had to go.

Reactions: Ingot and Gsr
For those fortunates who don't have pay rent, any titbit will be welcome.

Any way, just feel sorry for poor old Billy Boy Shorten. He's going onto a $1.8 M "Junkie" with the Canberra University. Wot A BLOODY JOKE. No wonder he's leaving Albo to face his, hopefully demise in the not too distant future.

Reactions: Ingot
For those fortunates who don't have pay rent, any titbit will be welcome.

Any way, just feel sorry for poor old Billy Boy Shorten. He's going onto a $1.8 M "Junkie" with the Canberra University. Wot A BLOODY JOKE. No wonder he's leaving Albo to face his, hopefully demise in the not too distant future.
Another one who is getting out before the elctorate hangs him!
He will never have to face responsibility for the NDIS debacle he created, and allowed to get out of control.
What a shameful disgrace.
The real people (disabled) who require daily support are being "Short-en" changed now.
Shorten will not be there to fix his mess - irresponsible, and shows he didn't have the ticker for the job, and would never have had the ticker for the PM job either.

Reactions: Gsr
Another one who is getting out before the elctorate hangs him!
He will never have to face responsibility for the NDIS debacle he created, and allowed to get out of control.
What a shameful disgrace.
The real people (disabled) who require daily support are being "Short-en" changed now.
Shorten will not be there to fix his mess - irresponsible, and shows he didn't have the ticker for the job, and would never have had the ticker for the PM job either.
And of course he steps into a $1.8million job and still gets immediate access to his over the top ex politician pension plus all the extra perks that go with spending ? 17 years ripping off the public purse to feather his own nest. It is past time all politicians were treated the same as every other Australian when they leave politics, same pension with same conditions and no extra perks. They don’t need them, so the money would be better spent helping prop up the needs of the general public. It would make a huge difference to the budget for housing, higher payments for people on benefits who are living below the poverty line. The first politician who decides not to grab these benefits they don’t need and donate the money to help people in need will truly be a person worthy of being held in high esteem by us aussies.