Six items a professional cleaner avoids at home—do you have them?

Cleaning our home feels good, especially for those of us who've been doing it for years.

Over time, we've found things to make our homes cleaner and easier to maintain like robot vacuums, air filters, pet hair removers and more.

But, what do professional cleaners think? What if we told you there are six household items they believe many of us could do without?

Read on to find out.

At the age of 28, Libby Denney has over a decade of experience in housecleaning and is currently managing her own company, Clean Up Company.

In her video, titled ‘Things I Wouldn't Have in My Home as a Cleaner’, Libby shared with her 110,000 social media followers that dishwashers can be a cleaning nightmare and that she prefers hand washing her dishes.

75418801-12513397-image-a-1_1694673983052 (1).jpg
Professional cleaner Libby Denney reveals six items she'd never keep in her home - and a few might catch you off guard. Image source: Social media (@thecleanupcompany)

'This is going to be a bit controversial, I personally have one of these in my house but I never use it. They get so dirty they're so hard to clean and I just prefer a bucket of water.'

She even recounted the buildup of thick grime along the machine's edges, prompting her to recommend the classic bucket-and-water method to her followers.

'What I do with my dishes after I've cleaned them is I pour a kettle of boiling water over the top of them while they're on the drying rack.’

'They dry in minutes and they're sterilised, so you don't need a dishwasher.'

However, Libby didn't just stop there.

She continued to list five other items that she considers unsuitable for her meticulously clean and organised living space: wooden countertops, a wooden toilet seat, black spiralled taps, a freestanding bath, and shutter blinds.

Libby urged her followers to steer clear of wooden countertops, warning they become 'grimy' within months—so as freestanding baths, noting they're dust magnets and nearly impossible to clean behind.

She then expressed that a wooden toilet seat makes her ‘skin crawl’ when she encounters it and advised her followers never to buy one, explaining: ‘They do nothing but collect dirt and germs, if you've got one, get rid of it go get a plastic one.’

The cleaning expert also cautioned against using black spiralled taps.

While they may make kitchens ‘aesthetically’ pleasing, she said: ‘These spirals do nothing but collect dust and grime. I'm not kidding you. They're the most challenging taps in the world to clean.’

Lastly, she urged her followers to steer clear of shutter blinds, asserting: ‘I'm sure many of you will agree with me on this one. They're dust collectors, that's all they are—dust collectors.’

Since her video was posted, it garnered over 75,000 likes, and hundreds of people have commented, sharing their own opinions.

Items a professional cleaner warns against: wooden countertops, freestanding baths, wooden toilet seats, dishwashers, black spiralled taps, and shutter blinds. Video source: Social media (@thecleanupcompany)

Many users defended their dishwashers.

One user mentioned, ‘With dishwashers, most people don't use them properly. You are supposed to rinse the plates from food first and then put them in.’

Another said, ‘I personally couldn't live without my dishwasher. It's saved so many arguments over who's turn to do the dishes. Life's so much easier with one.’

‘I think dishwashers have become essential and they save energy and water compared to hand washing,’ a third person agreed.

In response to high demand, the cleaning expert uploaded a second video to social media, highlighting more challenging-to-clean household items.

Libby further advised her followers to avoid toilet brushes and hallway carpets as well if they wanted a cleaner home, leaving many social media users curious about how she cleans her toilet.
Key Takeaways

• A professional cleaner, Libby Denney, has shared the six household items she avoids having in her home on social media.
  • Libby doesn't use a dishwasher, despite owning one, due to the grime build-up and finds it easier to clean dishes by hand.
  • Other items on her avoid list include a wooden toilet seat, black spiralled taps, shutter blinds, toilet brushes, and hallway carpets.
  • Many users on social media defended the dishwasher, arguing that it is essential, saves energy and water and makes life easier.
Members, do any of you own these household items? What are your opinions on these insights shared by this professional cleaner? Let us know your opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
I’m about to replace my 13 year old dishwasher as I really can’t live without one. It’s never grimy & is easy to clean. We rinse plates, cutlery, saucepans etc first & dishwasher is cleaned regularly & gets a cycle with cleaning stuff a few times a year.
I wonder how toilets are cleaned without a brush. Both of mine get thoroughly scrubbed.

Cleaning our home feels good, especially for those of us who've been doing it for years.

Over time, we've found things to make our homes cleaner and easier to maintain like robot vacuums, air filters, pet hair removers and more.

But, what do professional cleaners think? What if we told you there are six household items they believe many of us could do without?

Read on to find out.

At the age of 28, Libby Denney has over a decade of experience in housecleaning and is currently managing her own company, Clean Up Company.

In her video, titled ‘Things I Wouldn't Have in My Home as a Cleaner’, Libby shared with her 110,000 social media followers that dishwashers can be a cleaning nightmare and that she prefers hand washing her dishes.

View attachment 31027
Professional cleaner Libby Denney reveals six items she'd never keep in her home - and a few might catch you off guard. Image source: Social media (@thecleanupcompany)

'This is going to be a bit controversial, I personally have one of these in my house but I never use it. They get so dirty they're so hard to clean and I just prefer a bucket of water.'

She even recounted the buildup of thick grime along the machine's edges, prompting her to recommend the classic bucket-and-water method to her followers.

'What I do with my dishes after I've cleaned them is I pour a kettle of boiling water over the top of them while they're on the drying rack.’

She continued to list five other items that she considers unsuitable for her meticulously clean and organised living space: wooden countertops, a wooden toilet seat, black spiralled taps, a freestanding bath, and shutter blinds.

Libby urged her followers to steer clear of wooden countertops, warning they become 'grimy' within months—so as freestanding baths, noting they're dust magnets and nearly impossible to clean behind.

She then expressed that a wooden toilet seat makes her ‘skin crawl’ when she encounters it and advised her followers never to buy one, explaining: ‘They do nothing but collect dirt and germs, if you've got one, get rid of it go get a plastic one.’

While they may make kitchens ‘aesthetically’ pleasing, she said: ‘These spirals do nothing but collect dust and grime. I'm not kidding you. They're the most challenging taps in the world to clean.’

Lastly, she urged her followers to steer clear of shutter blinds, asserting: ‘I'm sure many of you will agree with me on this one. They're dust collectors, that's all they are—dust collectors.’

Since her video was posted, it garnered over 75,000 likes, and hundreds of people have commented, sharing their own opinions.

Items a professional cleaner warns against: wooden countertops, freestanding baths, wooden toilet seats, dishwashers, black spiralled taps, and shutter blinds. Video source: Social media (@thecleanupcompany)

One user mentioned, ‘With dishwashers, most people don't use them properly. You are supposed to rinse the plates from food first and then put them in.’

Another said, ‘I personally couldn't live without my dishwasher. It's saved so many arguments over who's turn to do the dishes. Life's so much easier with one.’

‘I think dishwashers have become essential and they save energy and water compared to hand washing,’ a third person agreed.

In response to high demand, the cleaning expert uploaded a second video to social media, highlighting more challenging-to-clean household items.

Libby further advised her followers to avoid toilet brushes and hallway carpets as well if they wanted a cleaner home, leaving many social media users curious about how she cleans her toilet.
Key Takeaways

• A professional cleaner, Libby Denney, has shared the six household items she avoids having in her home on social media.
  • Libby doesn't use a dishwasher, despite owning one, due to the grime build-up and finds it easier to clean dishes by hand.
  • Other items on her avoid list include a wooden toilet seat, black spiralled taps, shutter blinds, toilet brushes, and hallway carpets.
  • Many users on social media defended the dishwasher, arguing that it is essential, saves energy and water and makes life easier.
Members, do any of you own these household items? What are your opinions on these insights shared by this professional cleaner? Let us know your opinions in the comments below!

Absolutely love my dishwasher, except when my wife changes how I have stacked it,

Reactions: Jennylolo and janj

Read on to find out.

View attachment 31027

Key Takeaways

Having had dishwashers for over forty years, on three continents, never had a dirty or inefficient one.
The writer probably wouldn't like our other treasure, a waste disposer, also used for forty years.

Read on to find out.

View attachment 31027

Key Takeaways

sorry, I will not get rid of my shutter blinds. I am used to looking at dust.

Reactions: PattiB
how is she an expert- looks to young to me. Those of us have tested and tried all sorts of cleaning over the decades. Grimy dishwasher- mmm obviously the person leaves scraps on the dishes and doesn't wipe it out. It has to have been there a long time to be grimy.

Reactions: Pommyoz and PattiB
A cleaner for 10 years pfff! that's NOTHING. When you have another 20 years of hand washing all dishes, you will get a dishwasher, or probably a husband.
Hubby and I never have viruses from dirty crockery, dusty sideboards, or wooden counter tops.
I am a retired professional cleaner, a business of 8 staff and plenty of satisfied clients over the 28 years of cleaning. Do a report on her in 28 years time and see how she feels.

Reactions: PattiB