Simple, tech-savvy tip for finding the best grocery deals stuns the internet!

For many of us, grocery shopping is a chore. We often forget items we need and end up spending more than we budgeted for. But what if there was a way to make grocery shopping easier and cheaper?

One savvy shopper has found a way to do just that. By using the Woolworths app to create a shopping list, and then comparing prices with ALDI, she has been able to save money and time!

Sharing her tip to a popular Facebook group, the mum said that aside from saving money, the method helps her keep an eye on items that she loves but are usually more expensive, and buy them up when they're on sale.

The shopper wrote on her post: 'So I've been doing this for a few weeks now and thought this little hack might help others!'

'As I run out of things or think of things I need to buy, I add them to my cart in the Woolies app. Then, when I go shop at ALDI I use this app as my shopping list. I can compare real-time prices and quantities, and see if there is a special offer at Woolies that is cheaper than ALDI.'

Wii3f89iqi4slJHxLR2h-M2msY58ZzszluYDYWAp39e1FgxbhhAJWFCqpdz_4VlEJF2pWnsMpM0z9X8UMCV-DuVYvPHYCQTNyNR6GsvVo3L5g4lyf2IfXeMjbKJn1VLerlESXlff8ueZhP0WEv0_UA

One mum made the rounds on social media after she revealed her technique for scoring the best deals on groceries using her smartphone. Credit: Freepik.

She also added that you can delete the items from your list as you pick them up in the store, and then order any remaining items you need through the app. This way, you can be sure you're getting exactly what you need - and nothing more.

The post has captured the attention of more than 1,000 group members, with many people thanking the mum for her tech-savvy tip.

One user wrote: 'Wow! Thanks for sharing, and for detailing your process so well. I might just give it a go. Technology drives me crazy (comes with age, I suspect), but with a bit of support/guidance like yours I might just get it down pat!'

Others claimed that they have been using the same shopping method for years.

'I have been doing that for a couple of years now, I put in Woolies cart, then decide whether to go [to] ALDI or if I don't feel up to it I get Woolies home delivery,' one user claimed.

'It's easy to compare prices.'

kGHqA-4vMPaFYPhGxihNwjBRWcyawnyT2YlVkiRlfwjB1TF5f5mYUtWlw9WNMEN9hqm40murLxeSZqpcj89Adir7DYr_jMybyvctVFROF4njeITXvrwDeFztUrC_b87rVSlCHTr3hwAXGF_2CrgwyQ

Many social media users thanked the mum for her tip, saying they had a hard time taking advantage of the app themselves. Credit: Utah State University via Getty Images.

Some users pointed out that there's not much of a difference in prices between the two retailers, with one person writing: 'I do this too. But I find that ALDI is no longer cheaper than Woolies for most items. Plus, with booster points, you accumulate free money at Woolies.'

The mum replied to this claim, saying: 'I'm sure there is differential pricing across neighbourhoods too which would affect this.'

'The points can build up quickly if you boost them in the app. I also recently swapped to Origin and received $150 worth of rewards points so that was great too.'

'I always go to Coles first and then ALDI followed by Woolies if I can’t get what I wanted in ALDI as they are in the same shopping centre.'

One user took the opportunity to ask other group members whether there is an app in Australia to compare all major supermarket weekly specials in real-time.

While there are no exact apps that offer this service, some users suggested some useful phone apps that can perform similar functions.

One user suggested: 'I have an app called ShopShop that I use. I love catalogues so I go through them each week and add the specials to my list in the order of the shop I go to.'

'You should try using ShopFully! It gives you all your local junk mail catalogues,' another recommended.

For those of you who are looking to try these apps, we recommend checking out this article for the step-by-step guide on how to download them. We haven’t tried these apps so can’t confirm whether they’re worthwhile or not.

There are many ways to find bargains, but using apps can be a great way to save time and money! After all, almost all businesses today operate online so let’s use that to our advantage.

Speaking of tips, we also recommend checking out the Money Saving Hacks section of the SDC website for more tricks on how you can save money!

Do you know other tips for scoring the best deals? Share them with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
I'm in the middle of my shop now. I've decided I'm shopping on line at Coles this week. They also have a spend $250 and get $20 off your shop plus free delivery .

I'm heading to my shops tomorrow as I need to get a last minute gift so will duck into woolworths to pick up the couple of 50 % off items.

I bulk buy 50 % off items eg shampoo, detergents, toilet paper toothpaste ect never pay full price for these items, them my weekly items eg milk bread meat ect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
I sometimes despair of some peoples ability to spot a bargain. I was at the shops last week and overheard two young mums discussing which was the best offer, 50% off or two for the price of one! I had to smile but it's sad really, these are the people that will be deciding our future and it's scary.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO::(

My shopping list consists of checking the catalogues online Tuesday night (for the half price specials I need) and making a physical list before then adding any staples I might require. Unfortunately, living in a regional location, we only have the choice of Woolworths, IGA & Foodworks with both Aldi and Coles being an hour's drive away in either direction. I used to shop weekly but nowadays only once a fortnight or so and regularly save up to $70/$80 on a $180/$200 grocery outlay (divided between the 3 stores).

I sometimes despair of some peoples ability to spot a bargain. I was at the shops last week and overheard two young mums discussing which was the best offer, 50% off or two for the price of one! I had to smile but it's sad really, these are the people that will be deciding our future and it's scary.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO::(
I had this discussion with someone a couple of years ago saying it's the same thing. No matter how I tried they couldn't get it
I even put pen to paper.

Say it's $1 at 50% off you pay 50c if you buy 2 then it's $1.

If it's 2 for 1 then you pay for 1 $1 then get the other for free

So either way you are paying $1 .

What they were working on was that even 2 for 1 was an additional 50 % off ... S E R I O S L Y
My shopping list consists of checking the catalogues online Tuesday night (for the half price specials I need) and making a physical list before then adding any staples I might require. Unfortunately, living in a regional location, we only have the choice of Woolworths, IGA & Foodworks with both Aldi and Coles being an hour's drive away in either direction. I used to shop weekly but nowadays only once a fortnight or so and regularly save up to $70/$80 on a $180/$200 grocery outlay (divided between the 3 stores).
It's the only way to shop . We should call it shop surfing 🏄‍♂️ 🏄‍♂️

I use the Coles app to make a shopping list. You choose your store and then the app tells you which aisle the item is on! That makes shopping faster as you can avoid the aisles you don’t need to go down. This stops some impulse buying as well!!

I haven't tried it, but there's another app called Frugl. Apparently it did the comparing for you