Shortage Warning: Major supermarket retailers say that shelves may remain empty for WEEKS

Customers across the country have documented alarming images of bare shelves at their local supermarkets, following reports from various retailers about their struggle in refilling and restocking various produce, such as fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat.

Rapidly climbing COVID case numbers, along with holiday shortages, have greatly impacted Australia’s supply chain and in recent days have sent hundreds of staff, from truck drivers to distribution workers, into isolation.

I2vJhSgi7o6E1QVG20HG_33xgz_AbNCtulWH-aTBrexAqNm1mK1fuGGVqt5Uzi4YpODoRTrFqn7cmey_JzMQToHA46Q64NOh13a6Gpp3MyYIt2VBYaRjwaKaYy7dUZyfIn76yBO4

Disappointed customers are sharing photos of empty store shelves. Credit: Twitter/@Jett_B2211.

According to Matthew Swindells, Coles COO, shoppers should expect a ‘couple of difficult weeks’ following news of worsening labour and supply shortages.

“We were facing a number of supply chain challenges already - a shortage of pallets and a shortage of truck drivers,” said Mr Swindells on Wednesday morning.

“We're somewhat on the back foot trying to make sure that we can keep the food supply lines going, but we've probably got another couple of difficult weeks,” he added, implying that the severe supply issues will persist until Australia Day.

The supermarket officer also suggested trying out different brands or purchasing a different pack size if the usual item is out of stock.

“It will take us a few weeks to fully recover from this, and importantly, we need to get those team member numbers that are isolating back into the workforce to recover all of those food supplies,” he added.

UHfGiHENbrnYsv7wx1j5oDlFjp9fcJyS3q31Li06CTOS4QKOj_lK0GOaa0la7H5lQmU5lv6t0ke2Kf0gsQpzoHHHYs38cnkvKN6IYpr3FGSxWITtnyPJNyxc248SSuSY2Dj5h4mu

Retailers are seeing an incoming meat shortage following labour issues. Credit: Tony Gough.

Patrick Hutchinson, chief executive of the Australian Meat Industry Council (AMIC), has also declared an emergency after a possible nationwide meat shortage due to labour shortage.

He added that “hundreds and hundreds of staff” are now unable to work because of the virus. Since a lot of the meat workers live together, if one gets infected, all of them must isolate.

“In what is already a hugely challenging meat supply landscape, with record livestock prices and labour shortages due to Covid border closures, we are hearing that multiple meat processing establishments are now having to temporarily shut their doors or operate at very low capacities due to the Omicron surge,” Mr Hutchinson said.

“We are experiencing an unprecedented wave of staffing unpredictability. As COVID spreads in the community, our industry workers are unable to present for work for at least seven days should someone in their family or household test positive, under the current national COVID protocol.”

The CEO also admitted that the shortage problems would last for four to six weeks, meaning that lamb may be off the shelves for Australia Day.

Retailers are urging Australians only to buy meat as they need it.

Sponsored
Understandable...now is the time to actually empty my freezer and defrost it..probably 2 years overdue.
I should do that too although all that really means is that the dog eats well for a time as he gets all the totally unidentifiable freezer burnt offerings from the depths. He'll think all his Christmases and Birthdays have come at once!!

I noticed at my local IGA here in Perth in WA that the usual long life milk was absent. Purchased real milk as an alternative. Asked the store manager about it, he checked to see if there was more out the back, there wasn't, still coming he said, try tomorrow. Not a real issue, however an indicator that the supply chain is under stress.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I have done an online grocery shop with Woolies this morning, so will be interesting to see what turns up tomorrow. I hear toilet paper is hard to get again, what is it with people and panic buying. I only buy what I need so unfortunately do not have a freezer I can raid.:cry:

Maybe start going to the local butcher may be a good idea…I never buy meat, chicken or fish from a supermarket…..too expensive and not that fresh…

I should do that too although all that really means is that the dog eats well for a time as he gets all the totally unidentifiable freezer burnt offerings from the depths. He'll think all his Christmases and Birthdays have come at once!!
I have a few UFO's in mine as well so I defrost them and then check what it is LOL