Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoppers up in arms over a change to a Woolworths Christmas classic

It’s an age-old festive tradition. The smell of baking wafts through the air as gingerbread men are taken out of the oven by holidaymakers.

But now, controversy is brewing in the cookie aisle as Woolworths makes a notable name change to a Christmas tradition.

Posting on social media, one Woolworths shopper took offence at the fact that packs of Gingerbread Men in the Woolworths Bakery were now called Gingerbread People.

The customer captioned: 'Apparently, Gingerbread “men” isn’t woke enough' and uploaded a photo alongside their post.

c165341484dda2cdc8c1f33fb6d035ebc7d8c9b2-4x3-x4y0w2144h1608.png
Woolworths has changed their Gingerbread label from ‘men’ to ‘people’. Image: Reddit

However, the post didn’t elicit quite the response the customer was hoping for. Many people panned the Woolies shopper for 'making an issue' of the name change, with one commenting, 'Once again confirming that anyone that actually uses the word “woke” is a pathetic little baby.’

Others have said it was ‘no big deal’.

While another one added, ‘Imagine being offended by gingerbread’.

‘Seriously? If you wanted some gingerbread, you wouldn’t buy them because they’re called “people”?’ one noted.

02e54cc3d5ed8756449e8378df82bacee2d22b6d-16x9-x13y0w1867h1050.png
Online shoppers can also buy the talked-about Gingerbread People on Woolworths' website. Image: Woolworths

Others commended the Woolworths shopper.

One user responded: 'At some point soon, I’m just not going to care about offending people. If you can’t handle a biscuit with a man in the name, simply grab a box of tissues and retreat to your safe space.’

Another one shared, 'I’m trying really hard but too busy caring about my electricity bill doubling in the last year to have energy left over for gingerbread people.’

Others said they agreed that Woolworths had gone too far with the name change, one person saying, 'Do we need to make a biscuit gender neutral so we don’t offend people?'

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has taken issue with the supermarket's change to the name of Gingerbread Men, now called Gingerbread People.
  • The customer voiced frustration on social media, provoking various reactions, with many dismissing their concerns as trivial.
  • Others chastised the complaining customer, highlighting more pressing issues and criticising anyone who would be offended by a biscuit's name.
  • Despite the mostly negative reactions, some users agreed with the original post, arguing that Woolworths had taken political correctness too far with the name change.

What do you think about this story, members? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
It’s an age-old festive tradition. The smell of baking wafts through the air as gingerbread men are taken out of the oven by holidaymakers.

But now, controversy is brewing in the cookie aisle as Woolworths makes a notable name change to a Christmas tradition.

Posting on social media, one Woolworths shopper took offence at the fact that packs of Gingerbread Men in the Woolworths Bakery were now called Gingerbread People.

The customer captioned: 'Apparently, Gingerbread “men” isn’t woke enough' and uploaded a photo alongside their post.

View attachment 35531
Woolworths has changed their Gingerbread label from ‘men’ to ‘people’. Image: Reddit

However, the post didn’t elicit quite the response the customer was hoping for. Many people panned the Woolies shopper for 'making an issue' of the name change, with one commenting, 'Once again confirming that anyone that actually uses the word “woke” is a pathetic little baby.’

‘Seriously? If you wanted some gingerbread, you wouldn’t buy them because they’re called “people”?’ one noted.

View attachment 35532
Online shoppers can also buy the talked-about Gingerbread People on Woolworths' website. Image: Woolworths

One user responded: 'At some point soon, I’m just not going to care about offending people. If you can’t handle a biscuit with a man in the name, simply grab a box of tissues and retreat to your safe space.’

Another one shared, 'I’m trying really hard but too busy caring about my electricity bill doubling in the last year to have energy left over for gingerbread people.’

Others said they agreed that Woolworths had gone too far with the name change, one person saying, 'Do we need to make a biscuit gender neutral so we don’t offend people?'

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has taken issue with the supermarket's change to the name of Gingerbread Men, now called Gingerbread People.
  • The customer voiced frustration on social media, provoking various reactions, with many dismissing their concerns as trivial.
  • Others chastised the complaining customer, highlighting more pressing issues and criticising anyone who would be offended by a biscuit's name.
  • Despite the mostly negative reactions, some users agreed with the original post, arguing that Woolworths had taken political correctness too far with the name change.

Our country is becoming stupid with all the name changes. All of OUR place names are being changed so as not to offend the native people, our Christmas & Easter changed because of overseas people coming here, a Man’s name changed to Cheers so we don’t offend heaven knows who. For goodness sake leave names alone!!!!!!!!!! It is ridiculous!!!

Our country is becoming stupid with all the name changes. All of OUR place names are being changed so as not to offend the native people, our Christmas & Easter changed because of overseas people coming here, a Man’s name changed to Cheers so we don’t offend heaven knows who. For goodness sake leave names alone!!!!!!!!!! It is ridiculous!!!
I’m with you all the way, time to stop this B/S and get on with life. I agree most from overseas have caused the problems we have now, and they are bringing more in all I can say is GOD help Australia ,no one else will.

Why is a minority that is ruling these so called politicully correct B S. and every one is just going along. God made men and women, any thing else is personal choice, great just dont shove it down others faces and leave tradtions alone.

View attachment 35531

View attachment 35532

Key Takeaways

They can't even spell gingerbread.

I’m with you all the way, time to stop this B/S and get on with life. I agree most from overseas have caused the problems we have now, and they are bringing more in all I can say is GOD help Australia ,no one else will.
If the people that come here don't like our culture, them they should go back to where they came from.

Don’t buy them maybe they will get the message , what else is going to change for these stupid woke people.
Maybe look up what the word "woke" means ... like so many others you have misused it. It doesn't mean what you have implied.

I am proudly "woke" (by the correct definition) as I believe in staying well-informed on societal issues and I have a desire for people to be treated fairly and kindly. However, I do think renaming the gingerbread men was unnecessary and just plays into the hands of those who want to find offence in everything.

Woke01.jpg

What is a woke person? I am not up with this word, please explain
I have put a graphic on this thread that explains it. People keep using it as an insult, which it is not ... it merely means being aware of social injustice and being empathetic and compassionate to the plight of others. Sadly some have decided to use it as a derogatory term and have turned it into something it most definitely is not.

Maybe look up what the word "woke" means ... like so many others you have misused it. It doesn't mean what you have implied.

I am proudly "woke" (by the correct definition) as I believe in staying well-informed on societal issues and I have a desire for people to be treated fairly and kindly. However, I do think renaming the gingerbread men was unnecessary and just plays into the hands of those who want to find offence in everything.

View attachment 35618
That’s your interpretation , you can’t explain the damage this is doing with brainwashing 👶 🧒 to be what they are not. This way .of thinking has to stop before any more harm is done to other lives.

That’s your interpretation , you can’t explain the damage this is doing with brainwashing 👶 🧒 to be what they are not. This way .of thinking has to stop before any more harm is done to other lives.
It is NOT my interpretation at all ... it is the TRUE meaning of the word. The meaning before all the nasty people decided to change it to suit their agenda of not caring about the people around them.

Regarding WOKE, Isn't that just being a decent human being, didn't realise we needed a name for that, now even that is going beyond crazy, not you Siameezer, it was nice to have an explanation, but really I was brought up to be kind, respectful, understanding and compassionate, that had nothing to do with race, creed, colour of your skin or what religious following.
Also I refuse to say Happy Christmas it is Merry Christmas, I can't abide those who want to be known as non gender, sure you be that way but don't get pissy when someone looks at you and sees' a man or woman and thinks I don't understand, personally I think if you don't want to be known as a man or woman then you are an it cos that is non gender. I can't understand why people have to be pushy, rude, arrogant or obnoxious but then I have always thought that. Personally I just want to live my life, pay my bills, have a roof over my head and be able to have food for me and my family. I don't want or need the latest fancy equipment or appliances. Maybe we should all live on our own separate islands and only communicate with people when we want and have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×