Shoppers stunned by bizarre Woolworths display mistake

Since its inception in 2015, Woolworths' Free Fruit for Kids program has been a delightful addition to the shopping experience for families across Australia.

The initiative aims to promote healthy eating habits among the youngest customers, allowing children to enjoy complimentary fruit while their parents navigate the aisles.

However, a recent display at a Melbourne Woolworths store has raised eyebrows and sparked a mix of amusement and confusion among shoppers.

A photograph taken by a customer reveals a noticeable deviation from the usual offerings.

Instead of the typical selection of apples, bananas, or mandarins, one basket was curiously stocked with carrots.

Above the basket, a sign cheerfully proclaimed, 'Free fruit fuels kids. Let your kids enjoy a fresh piece of fruit while you shop.'

1722478330021.png
Woolworths' Free Fruit for Kids program raised questions after shoppers found carrots instead of fruit. Credit: Reddit

This unusual choice of snack led to a flurry of online commentary, with one shopper quipping, 'Glad I named my kid Rudolph,’

Another shopper expressed that their children would be thrilled, as they adore carrots.

‘My kids love carrots. They'd be chuffed.’ she said.

Some Woolworths patrons revealed an 'unspoken store policy' that emerged over time.

'I think the quiet unspoken store policy is that it's okay for your kids to be eating anything from the produce section while you shop,' one customer mentioned

‘Several staff members at my local have told me this,’ another echoed.

It's important to note that carrots are not typically included in the Free Fruit for Kids program.

The initiative usually featured fruits that are easy to handle and consumed on the go, such as bananas, apples, mandarins, and pears.

Woolworths provides store guidelines for setting up and maintaining the fruit display, but variations can occur based on the availability of regional produce.

Since the program's launch, over 100 million pieces of fruit have been handed out to kids, making it a significant contribution to the health and happiness of little shoppers.

Interestingly, this isn't the first time the free fruit program has been at the centre of discussion.

In the past, adults have been called out on social media for partaking in the free fruit intended for children and leaving the store without making any purchases.

This program misuse has been a point of contention among ethical shoppers.

Moreover, Woolworths' competitor Coles had also offered a similar free fruit program but discontinued it in all stores in November last year.

This decision was met with disappointment from some customers, with one Melbourne mother expressing her dissatisfaction and urging others to 'boycott' Coles for the change.

In related news, Woolworths has received praise for offering free water bottles to customers to beat the heat.

A social media photo of the bottles prompted many to call the initiative a 'great idea.' Read more here.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths' Free Fruit for Kids program was questioned when a shopper noticed a basket filled with carrots instead of the usual fruit options.
  • Shoppers reacted with a mix of humour and surprise, with some believing it's acceptable to select any fruit from the shelves for their children if their preferred choice is not in the free display.
  • Woolworths followed the Free Fruit for Kids program guidelines, commonly offering bananas, apples, mandarins, and pears. Still, it has been stated that carrots are not the standard offering.
  • Coles has ceased its free fruit program, prompting customer disappointment and social media discussions with calls to boycott the supermarket.
Have you or your grandchildren enjoyed the Free Fruit for Kids program? What do you think about including different types of produce in the program? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored