Shoppers rage over this ‘annoying’ change to Coles baskets: ‘We hate them’

A seemingly small change in the aisles of Coles supermarkets has sparked a large-scale debate among shoppers.

The introduction of new, environmentally-friendly shopping baskets has been met with confusion and frustration as customers grapple with the single-handle design—a stark departure from the traditional double-handled baskets.

The shift towards sustainability is a noble pursuit, and Coles, alongside Woolworths, has made strides in this direction with their new basket design.

Made from 100 per cent recycled plastic, each basket repurposes the equivalent of 18 two-litre milk bottles.

This initiative is part of the supermarket's 'Together to Zero' waste plans, which aim to reduce the environmental footprint and promote a circular economy.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 11.16.17 AM.png
Coles’ environmentally friendly baskets sparked outrage from shoppers. Credit: Reddit / TikTok

However, the road to sustainability is often paved with challenges, and in this case, the challenge is ergonomic.

Shoppers have voiced their concerns, with many finding the new baskets difficult to maneuver.

Elsie Stuart, a Coles customer, expressed her dismay, stating, 'They are so thick and clunky. It's impossible to balance them, and I have small wrists, so not having two [handles] to balance the weight makes them a nightmare.'

The sentiment is echoed across the board, with shoppers taking to social media to air their grievances.

Comments range from mild confusion, 'I'm confused how to hold them,’ to vehement dislike, with one shopper admitting they hate the baskets with a 'burning passion’.

Some speculated that the ‘annoying’ design change might be a strategic move to encourage the use of trolleys, which could potentially lead to customers purchasing more items due to the larger capacity.

The backlash isn't limited to customers alone; Coles employees have also weighed in.

One worker shared their perspective online, 'Coles worker here, and we hate them too! I suggested we go back to the old ones because these suck.'

In response to the criticism, a Coles spokesperson has defended the new design.

‘These baskets are an example of our commitment to sustainability and proof we are committed to working with industry partners to find sustainable solutions and move towards a circular economy,’ a Coles spokesperson said.

‘The baskets have undergone rigorous testing and have been largely well received, with some customers describing them as a stronger and more durable option.’

However, this is not the first time Coles has faced backlash for its ‘sustainable’ baskets.

In a previous story, Coles faced criticism from customers over its ‘Sustainability Baskets’. Customers have complained that these were ‘very difficult’ for them to carry. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Coles has introduced environmentally-friendly baskets with a single handle, receiving criticism from customers for being difficult to use.
  • Shoppers complained that the baskets are awkward to carry, particularly for those with smaller wrists or who struggled to balance the weight.
  • Some speculated that the ‘annoying’ design could be an intentional strategy to encourage the use of trolleys, potentially leading to more purchases.
  • In response to the backlash, Coles stated that the new baskets are made from 100% recycled plastic and are part of their commitment to sustainability, with rigorous testing showing that they are a stronger and more durable option.
Have you encountered the new Coles baskets? What has your experience been like? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
The burning question, apart from, “Does the stupidity of Coles senior management know no bounds?”, is what did they do with the tens of thousands of old, but perfectly serviceable old baskets? Sent them to landfill is my guess.
This is just another gimmick from Coles to lead consumers to believe it cares about anything else but profits and bonuses for the CEO and will be another excuse as to why prices had to go up yet again.

I cant see the problem - dont use them, always take my own - nothing to do with styling, but have never seen them cleaned - I purchased my own shopping trolley with bag in- which I know is clean - lift the bag onto the back seat of car & trolley folded up fits in boot.

Reactions: midgemills
Should we really get our knickers in a twist over whether a shopping basket has 1 or 2 handles! The world has much bigger problems to sort out
You made me smile. I was thinking exactly same thing. It’s ridiculous to write an about a shopping basket, but people seem to get worked up over rubbish. Oh, by the way, do you like a basket with 1 or 2 handles?😆😆😆

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM and PattiB
ergonomically not well designed- 2 handles to balance is needed especially have jars or bottles. Don't think the durability, strength and sustainability aspects are in question. I don't use them. I use the shallow depth trolleys.

Reactions: Nantes and Kaylee
I have seen them but when only shopping for a few items I prefer to use my own carry bags rather than an awkward, heavier basket.