Shoppers outraged: ‘Checkout’ the ‘creepy’ change at ALDI that's causing an uproar!

In the age of heightened security measures, it's not uncommon to encounter CCTV cameras and other monitoring devices in retail environments.

However, a change in ALDI's self-serve checkout system has sparked a wave of discomfort and outrage among its Australian customers.

The introduction of an additional security feature at the registers has been labelled as 'creepy' and 'invasive,' leading to a flurry of discussions and complaints across social media platforms.

The issue came to light when an ALDI customer took to a popular social media group to express her dismay at the oversized screens.

‘I HATE this giant screen on the self-serve checkout. I don’t want to see myself like this when I buy a few items,’ the shopper wrote.

‘Usually I go to the manned checkout, but when I have a very small number of things and there are many queued up waiting to pay, I begrudgingly use the self-serve.’

‘I’ve seen heaps of them, but most of the ALDI ones I’ve seen don’t have a screen at all. Not sure why this one has to be so large,’ she added.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 092657.jpg
An ALDI shopper expressed her dismay on social media over large security screens at self-serve checkouts in stores. Credits: Facebook / Aldi Mums

The sentiment was echoed by numerous other shoppers, who found the screens to be significantly larger and more intrusive than those at competing supermarkets like Woolworths and Coles.

‘I hate it. I don’t want to see my big ugly face looking like s*** watching the price skyrocket for five items,’ one stated.

‘This gives me the creeps,’ another commented.

‘Even worse when you have a low-cut dress or top, and lean over to scan,’ a third added.

‘Why is it so big? All they really need is a camera and sign, no need for the screen, too,’ another replied.

‘I would hate this. Glad we don’t have them,’ one relieved customer said.

Despite the outcry, others recognized the unfortunate necessity of such measures in today's retail landscape, where theft is an ongoing issue.

'I hate it, too. But unfortunately these days, so many people are stealing things or putting meat through as tomatoes,' one ALDI shopper remarked, highlighting the challenges stores face with shoplifting.

‘It’s more security than anything I’ve ever seen. [It] says a lot about how valuable food is these days, they are literally guarding it! Sad state of the world, and absolutely invasive having yourself projected like that,’ another agreed.

‘I think it’s just more there to let the thieves know they see them. As annoying as it is, imagine how many items they would have to put through as theft a day, and how much that would total in a year,’ a former Woolworths employee responded.

‘I’ve just left Woolworths after 16 years, and we would get a tub a day of wrappers and empty drink bottles, and so much more. If this is what the companies have to do to keep their stock safe, then it’s not much different to installing safety cameras on your property.’

It was reported that CCTV is a standard security feature across all ALDI stores, aimed at ensuring the safety of customers and staff, as well as deterring and monitoring theft.

Additionally, an ALDI store in Sydney recently introduced another measure, surprising many shoppers.
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI shoppers voiced their discomfort with large security screens at self-serve checkouts in stores across Australia.
  • Customers described the screens as 'creepy' and 'invasive', with one shopper questioning the necessity of their size.
  • The issue sparked considerable discussion on social media, with many agreeing that the screens are off-putting, and could be perceived as shaming customers.
  • ALDI uses CCTV screens as a security measure to combat theft and ensure the safety of customers and staff.
Have you encountered these new security screens at ALDI or other stores? How do you feel about them? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I live in Waikiki and have noticed it in Waikiki Shopping Centre and also Kardinya have self serve and yesterday when Mum and I were in Kardinya I noticed that the self serve checkouts only take cards which I never really paid any attention to when I went to the Waikiki Aldi...

I live in Perth and none of the Aldi stores anywhere near me have self serve checkouts.
I also live in Perth and the Ellenbrook store has just had them put in, used them yesterday, great no problems through in no time.

WHATS THE BIG PROBLEM - FEELING GUILTY? WE HAVE NO PROBLEM WTH ANY FORM OF SECURITY CAMERA, DON'T LIKE IT, DONT GO SHOPPING, GET YOUR STUFF DELIVERED.