Shoppers help a woman who was 'distressed' over her $100 grocery bill

With the cost of living skyrocketing across Australia, more and more people are feeling the pinch at the checkout.

Grocery prices have risen dramatically in recent months, putting strain on household budgets.

In a heartwarming incident at a Woolworths store in Queensland, a woman's $100 grocery bill sparked a chain of kindness that left fellow shoppers in awe.

'Just wanted to share a positive incident that happened at Woolworths today,' one shopper shared on social media.

SDC 12.png
A woman was seen feeling distressed over her $100 grocery bill. Image source: Freepik.

'I was checking out, and the lady in the other checkout lane went to pay and was visibly shocked when the bill came out as $100.'

'She was obviously distressed, saying she could only afford $70, and she started putting things back.'

The woman's distress did not go unnoticed.

In a remarkable display of community spirit, fellow shoppers rallied to her aid.

'As she was doing this, another lady noticed and told her she wanted to cover the rest of her bill, especially because it was Christmas time.'

'Another gentleman noticed that she didn’t have bags and gave her some of his bags, and his wife gave her a Christmas pudding outside.'

'It wasn’t done in a showy way, nor was the other lady acting needy. It was simply a kind gesture.'

The incident has sparked a significant reaction online, with many applauding the kindness of the shoppers.

'I have paid for groceries for a person who was in [a] similar position. It's just the right thing to do. Be kind if you can,' one shared.

Some supermarket workers even shared their own experiences of helping customers in need, with one saying: 'There really is good in people, I saw it occasionally when I was [at] checkouts. I was known to change the price of items if a customer needed it.'

'Good on you. I got a bit confused and missed putting a few of their groceries through the scanner at times when it was some person clearly going through hard times, nervously watching the total jump up. These things happen,' another worker shared.

However, other users doubted the woman and thought that she may have been pulling a scam.

'Maybe it was a scam. Maybe it wasn’t. I’d still rather be the decent person who helped rather than the cynic who didn’t,' one replied.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths shopper witnessed a heartwarming act of kindness when random shoppers helped a distressed customer with her $100 grocery bill.
  • The customer could only afford $70 and began to put items back, but other customers stepped in to cover the difference, especially noting the Christmas season.
  • The post on social media drew a large reaction, with many sharing their own experiences of generosity and applauding the kind gestures observed in the store.
  • While some commenters speculated the possibility of a scam, the prevailing sentiment was one of compassion, with a preference to help regardless.
What are your thoughts on this incident? Have you experienced or witnessed similar acts of kindness? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
With the cost of living skyrocketing across Australia, more and more people are feeling the pinch at the checkout.

Grocery prices have risen dramatically in recent months, putting strain on household budgets.

In a heartwarming incident at a Woolworths store in Queensland, a woman's $100 grocery bill sparked a chain of kindness that left fellow shoppers in awe.

'Just wanted to share a positive incident that happened at Woolworths today,' one shopper shared on social media.

View attachment 37763
A woman was seen feeling distressed over her $100 grocery bill. Image source: Freepik.

'I was checking out, and the lady in the other checkout lane went to pay and was visibly shocked when the bill came out as $100.'

'She was obviously distressed, saying she could only afford $70, and she started putting things back.'

In a remarkable display of community spirit, fellow shoppers rallied to her aid.

'As she was doing this, another lady noticed and told her she wanted to cover the rest of her bill, especially because it was Christmas time.'

'Another gentleman noticed that she didn’t have bags and gave her some of his bags, and his wife gave her a Christmas pudding outside.'

'It wasn’t done in a showy way, nor was the other lady acting needy. It was simply a kind gesture.'

The incident has sparked a significant reaction online, with many applauding the kindness of the shoppers.

'I have paid for groceries for a person who was in [a] similar position. It's just the right thing to do. Be kind if you can,' one shared.

Some supermarket workers even shared their own experiences of helping customers in need, with one saying: 'There really is good in people, I saw it occasionally when I was [at] checkouts. I was known to change the price of items if a customer needed it.'

'Good on you. I got a bit confused and missed putting a few of their groceries through the scanner at times when it was some person clearly going through hard times, nervously watching the total jump up. These things happen,' another worker shared.

However, other users doubted the woman and thought that she may have been pulling a scam.

'Maybe it was a scam. Maybe it wasn’t. I’d still rather be the decent person who helped rather than the cynic who didn’t,' one replied.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper witnessed a heartwarming act of kindness when random shoppers helped a distressed customer with her $100 grocery bill.
  • The customer could only afford $70 and began to put items back, but other customers stepped in to cover the difference, especially noting the Christmas season.
  • The post on social media drew a large reaction, with many sharing their own experiences of generosity and applauding the kind gestures observed in the store.
  • While some commenters speculated the possibility of a scam, the prevailing sentiment was one of compassion, with a preference to help regardless.
What are your thoughts on this incident? Have you experienced or witnessed similar acts of kindness? Share your stories in the comments below.
Sometimes Christmas brings out the good in people.....such a kind gesture. 🥳🥳

View attachment 37763

Key Takeaways

It's true there still good people out there.

View attachment 37763

Key Takeaways

Everyone is struggling in some way.
So wonderful to see that most see it , and are willing to try and help.

Sometimes Christmas brings out the good in people.....such a kind gesture. 🥳🥳
It is so good to know that their are some genuinely kind people out there, I think this is a wonderful heartfelt story as so many are really having trouble just making ends meet and grocery prices are off the shelf and so many people just can't afford a big shop for their families. God Bless those people in this story who helped this lady out. There are Angels here on Earth and our Faith is restored when we rad things like this. Have a safe and Merry Christmas everyone.

View attachment 37763

Key Takeaways

I would have helped her put everything back on the shelves. 😂

View attachment 37763

Key Takeaways

Sadly because of so many scams being perpetrated I would be on my guard if it was me!

I have always shopped to a budget and as a result, rely on catalogues quite heavily.
Not long ago, I toddled in to an IGA store, with the thought to buy our Xmas soft drinks. They were extremely well priced, so in I went.
I had Kirks 10 pack cans of drink in the trolley. 2 for me 2 for hubby. That in itself is a rarity, and quite a treat.
A team member came up to me and asked if they were in the trolley because of the catalogue special. She went on further to say, they are $2 dearer until Friday ... this is just a Market day special. I was there on Wednesday when specials cycle starts. Well, of course I missed the market day bit.
I went to put them back and she asked if I can come back on Friday. I could not, because Friday is hubby's cancer infusion day.
So, she asked me to wait, went to the register and changed the prices to the Friday price. It nearly made me cry. It was only $8 and in most peoples eyes, hardly worth worrying about. $8 for a pensioner can be milk and bread. So, it meant the world.
Her kindness means we can have some lemonade and creaming soda over Xmas without having to worry about foregoing something else.
When I read the article today, it reminded me of this. Yes, there are kind people out there and a lot of them work on the coal face.

Sadly because of so many scams being perpetrated I would be on my guard if it was me!
Surely this person would have been mindful of what she was buying , you have an idea of what you can afford , be more careful when loading the trolley. This was a wonderful gesture to help out ,there truly some kind people out there .

I have always shopped to a budget and as a result, rely on catalogues quite heavily.
Not long ago, I toddled in to an IGA store, with the thought to buy our Xmas soft drinks. They were extremely well priced, so in I went.
I had Kirks 10 pack cans of drink in the trolley. 2 for me 2 for hubby. That in itself is a rarity, and quite a treat.
A team member came up to me and asked if they were in the trolley because of the catalogue special. She went on further to say, they are $2 dearer until Friday ... this is just a Market day special. I was there on Wednesday when specials cycle starts. Well, of course I missed the market day bit.
I went to put them back and she asked if I can come back on Friday. I could not, because Friday is hubby's cancer infusion day.
So, she asked me to wait, went to the register and changed the prices to the Friday price. It nearly made me cry. It was only $8 and in most peoples eyes, hardly worth worrying about. $8 for a pensioner can be milk and bread. So, it meant the world.
Her kindness means we can have some lemonade and creaming soda over Xmas without having to worry about foregoing something else.
When I read the article today, it reminded me of this. Yes, there are kind people out there and a lot of them work on the coal face.
I was caught like that once but my IGA wasn’t that generous .

I was caught like that once but my IGA wasn’t that generous .
It is a rather sneaky marketing ploy. I will know better next time. Looking at this logically, I most likely would not do a shop twice in a week, so I'd probably let the Market day special go. I don't think this is an effective campaign.
Sorry your IGA was not helpful.

Reactions: Leenie