Shoppers furious over “drastic” and “ridiculous” markup in soft drink prices

Several Woolworths and Coles customers have taken to Facebook to air out their anger over recent price hikes on their favourite Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and Kirks products.

The shoppers claim that the packs of Pepsi Max, which usually cost around $19, have gone up to $32, almost double the original price!

Meanwhile, a 2L bottle of Coca-Cola, which usually costs around $2.85, has gone up to $4.55, a whopping 60 per cent increase.

The price of Australian-made company Kirks’ famous ten-packs was also marked up, from $6 to $10.80 ($10.55 online).

Some shoppers are saying that the price hikes were unfair, and buyers who are regularly getting the products won’t be able to cope with the increase on such short notice. Some are even calling the decision ridiculous for “taking advantage of the supply shortage”.

rPzyGX6kdSWAMORwzexRZbCiFrZlUZSl4O7i9RuWZUDBKbAcifoDNc6O_xHnqx9RP_83MniaF-xBGBCU9dG6ZisfQy-1dQpSp9oJkuOREd20i-63YVQPCHv72238x6RLgogCb5kn

Woolworths and Coles shoppers are angry over the outrageous price hikes on Pepsi, Coke and Kirks products. Credit: 7News/Facebook.

A spokesperson from Coca-Cola Europacific Partners has already acknowledged the incident and released a statement. According to them, most businesses have faced a combination of consistently rising materials and commodity prices, along with cost pressures brought by the country’s recent supply chain issues.

Hence, they have to make “minor increases” to their wholesale prices to absorb these additional costs.

Asahi Beverages, the official manufacturer and distributor of Pepsi products in Australia, has also responded to the recent price hikes.

“Our costs have increased due to COVID-19 supply chain issues, but not significantly,” said a spokesperson, adding that it is still the responsibility of the retailers to set the prices for their consumers.

Retail giants Woolworths and Coles have responded as well. However, consumers were met with blanket statements.

“In response to a wholesale cost increase from the supplier, we’ve updated our retail prices. We understand that every dollar counts and we must never take the decision to increase prices lightly.”

“We’ll continue to work closely with our suppliers to offer value and competitive prices across our customers’ shop,” said a Woolworths representative.

Coles, on the other hand, merely reminded customers that their prices are “competitive” with those offered by other retailers, such as Woolworths.

• Angry
Reactions: Ricci and LadyD
Sponsored
I love bundaberg diet ginger ale. Only buy when on special. Since my husband passed, I save heaps, no more coke buying.

Reactions: Ricci

Several Woolworths and Coles customers have taken to Facebook to air out their anger over recent price hikes on their favourite Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and Kirks products.

The shoppers claim that the packs of Pepsi Max, which usually cost around $19, have gone up to $32, almost double the original price!

Meanwhile, a 2L bottle of Coca-Cola, which usually costs around $2.85, has gone up to $4.55, a whopping 60 per cent increase.

The price of Australian-made company Kirks’ famous ten-packs was also marked up, from $6 to $10.80 ($10.55 online).

Some shoppers are saying that the price hikes were unfair, and buyers who are regularly getting the products won’t be able to cope with the increase on such short notice. Some are even calling the decision ridiculous for “taking advantage of the supply shortage”.

rPzyGX6kdSWAMORwzexRZbCiFrZlUZSl4O7i9RuWZUDBKbAcifoDNc6O_xHnqx9RP_83MniaF-xBGBCU9dG6ZisfQy-1dQpSp9oJkuOREd20i-63YVQPCHv72238x6RLgogCb5kn

Woolworths and Coles shoppers are angry over the outrageous price hikes on Pepsi, Coke and Kirks products. Credit: 7News/Facebook.

A spokesperson from Coca-Cola Europacific Partners has already acknowledged the incident and released a statement. According to them, most businesses have faced a combination of consistently rising materials and commodity prices, along with cost pressures brought by the country’s recent supply chain issues.

Hence, they have to make “minor increases” to their wholesale prices to absorb these additional costs.

Asahi Beverages, the official manufacturer and distributor of Pepsi products in Australia, has also responded to the recent price hikes.

“Our costs have increased due to COVID-19 supply chain issues, but not significantly,” said a spokesperson, adding that it is still the responsibility of the retailers to set the prices for their consumers.

Retail giants Woolworths and Coles have responded as well. However, consumers were met with blanket statements.

“In response to a wholesale cost increase from the supplier, we’ve updated our retail prices. We understand that every dollar counts and we must never take the decision to increase prices lightly.”

“We’ll continue to work closely with our suppliers to offer value and competitive prices across our customers’ shop,” said a Woolworths representative.

Coles, on the other hand, merely reminded customers that their prices are “competitive” with those offered by other retailers, such as Woolwor

Reactions: Adi
Of course they have, super markets are not making enough money yet. See Woolworths is taking the 10 cents on milk off the farmer now, I bet the milk does not go down 10 cents and watch when petrol goes down if it ever does, the prices don't go down even though the freight has.
Super markets are a rort, they just rip you off because they can. Best thing to do is buy shares in them I think, It's the only way you will get something back besides lies, OR, buy yourself a Soda Stream, I bought one 11 years ago, best thing I ever did, have not bought soft drinks at a shop ever since, you can use Soda Stream flavours or just use normal cordial, cheap as chips used to be.

Coles, on the other hand, merely reminded customers that their prices are “competitive” with those offered by other retailers, such as Woolworths.
I know things go up but that is shameful. The only way we can stop these terrible price rises is to not buy the products .

Yes, I noticed that in both Coles and Woolworths. I refuse to buy at $32 for 30 x 375ml cans. I will drink water and, if I want some flavour, will add cordial.
Farewell Coke, Pepsa, Woolies and Coles!!!

Buy a sodastream. You can now get Pepsi and Pepsi Max cordial to add to your sodastream for $7 at woolies and it makes 7-9 litres. Cheap as chips. I haven't bought Pepsi Max for years now, just squirt up a bottle whenever I want. Also there are many other flavours so you can ring in the changes.

Reactions: WendyP and Kayer02
I love Kirk's Ginger Ale and buy a carton every fortnight and last week I thought I was seeing things at $10.82 for the carton of 10 cans. How easy it has come to blame COVID for price increases.
I couldn’t agree more. Kirk’s Ginger Beer has been a long time favourite of ours, so we were very disappointed to see the large price rise, which resulted in us leaving it on the shelf. I was also shocked to see Woolies increase the price of their 24 pack of sausages from $9 to $13.50. A bit hard to justify that one I think!

It so easy to blame all price rises on Covid. Just an easy way to gouge prices and try and fool the general population.
YEP, I agree with you Adi!!!! Everything gets blamed on Covid and I am finding it hard to keep my mouth shut!!

I love bundaberg diet ginger ale. Only buy when on special. Since my husband passed, I save heaps, no more coke buying.
I buy the same product for my husband (he is diabetic) In December a 10 pack was $10 at my local Woolworths. The price has risen over the last two months and is now $15.50 for the same pack. There goes our last pension increase! BTW not on Special this year.

• Sad
It's not just soft drink going up!!
For a long time i was buying Golden Circle 2l Cordial base for $3.00 to make 10L of drink!
Literally, overnight on the 1st of February, it jumped to $5.00 a bottle !!
Additionally, their 1L fruit drinks also doubled in price!!
"What The"......... heck is happening? Shelf prices have increased In both Coles and Woolworths!!

As previously mentioned, I now use my SodaStream, and buy the flavours when they are half price!!
I can now make carbonated drinks, any time, any flavour

PS Golden Circle, no longer an Australian Company, is now owned by US-based Kraft Heinz!!

I couldn’t agree more. Kirk’s Ginger Beer has been a long time favourite of ours, so we were very disappointed to see the large price rise, which resulted in us leaving it on the shelf. I was also shocked to see Woolies increase the price of their 24 pack of sausages from $9 to $13.50. A bit hard to justify that one I think!
You can make Ginger Ale or Ginger Beer with a Soda Stream....

It's not just soft drink going up!!
For a long time i was buying Golden Circle 2l Cordial base for $3.00 to make 10L of drink!
Literally, overnight on the 1st of February, it jumped to $5.00 a bottle !!
Additionally, their 1L fruit drinks also doubled in price!!
"What The"......... heck is happening? Shelf prices have increased In both Coles and Woolworths!!

As previously mentioned, I now use my SodaStream, and buy the flavours when they are half price!!
I can now make carbonated drinks, any time, any flavour

PS Golden Circle, no longer an Australian Company, is now owned by US-based Kraft Heinz!!
I used to buy pink packets of Powdered Milk, it went from 5 dollars to 8.50 now I think it is, super markets have gotten out of control, I don't buy it anymore, I'll stick with my one dollar a litre milk that is now one dollar and thirty five cents.

The cost of tap water haven’t increased to anywhere near the levels indicated here. Your kids will be far healthier with water without the added sugar.

The cost of tap water haven’t increased to anywhere near the levels indicated here. Your kids will be far healthier with water without the added sugar.
Buy a Soda Stream, I have had mine for over 10 years now trouble free. Best money I ever spent I think.
You can buy most flavours and decent cordial works as well. I use it every single day. You can do drinks and take them with you so it is no problem.