Shoppers flock to this place for groceries: ‘I was shocked’

In a surprising twist, Australians are finding themselves pushing trolleys down the aisles of a place known more for timber and tools.

Yes, you read that right – Bunnings Warehouse, the go-to destination for DIY enthusiasts, has become the unexpected champion for thrifty shoppers seeking to stretch their dollars further on household staples.

The hardware giant, which has long been a staple in the Australian retail landscape, ventured into the $5 billion cleaning market in November, stocking shelves with popular brands of laundry detergent, dishwashing tablets, and more—all in bulk and at competitive prices.

‘Our customers have told us they are looking for quality brands at great value prices to save them time and money, and we’re expecting the category to grow significantly over the next few years,’ Jen Tucker, Bunnings Director of Merchandise, said.

photo.jpg
Shoppers swear by Bunnings to get groceries. Credit: @thatmoneymum / TikTok

‘Customers will no longer need to wait for their favourite cleaning products to go on sale at the supermarket as Bunnings will deliver customers with an even wider cleaning range with bigger quantities and better everyday prices, which is, of course, backed by our price beat guarantee.’

The strategy appears to be working. Shoppers have been buzzing on social media, sharing their finds and comparing prices with those at supermarket giants Woolworths and Coles.

One social media user, Lou, also known as @thatmoneymum, went viral after sharing her surprise at the savings she encountered at her local Bunnings.

‘So my husband and I hit up our local Hammerbarn this afternoon to see what all the fuss was about. There is honestly nothing like Bunnings on a weekend or a public holiday because the vibes are so high, plus the prices are good. I was shocked at how much cheaper these prices are,’ she said.

Lou's video showcased significant price differences on items such as Cold Power 5.4kg Advanced Clean Powder Laundry Detergent ($28) and Morning Fresh 900ml Lemon Dishwashing Liquid - 3 Pack ($13.99), with Bunnings offering larger quantities for less than or equal to supermarket prices.

Adam Cole, Bunnings General Manager of Home and Lifestyle, has noted the expanded cleaning range's popularity, emphasising the time and money savings for customers.

‘We love seeing customers like Lou share positive feedback about their shopping experience with us and enjoying our wide range and great value prices on home essentials like cleaning supplies and pet food,’ Cole said.

The move to include cleaning and pet supplies follows the successful launch of Bunnings pet range, which has been well received by consumers looking for value in bulk products.

Managing Director Michael Schneider highlighted the importance of trust and credibility in new consumer categories, something Bunnings has built over years of serving the Australian public.

‘What we learned from pets was that really strong value and bulk products are things that are really important for consumers because I think, in categories like cleaning, consumers have a really acute eye for the value of a bulk product right down to the unit of measure,’ Schneider said.

‘So consumers are very quick to work out what that equates to “X dollars” a litre or per 100ml or whatever it is, and by bringing a bulk offering into the market, we are increasing our range by over 200 products…and by going in bulk, consumers are really blown away by the value offering that’s there.’

‘And we’ve established some real credibility and trust in another consumerable category like pets and translating that into a cleaning range has been really well received.’

Schneider said Bunnings was more focused on home improvement and maintenance.

‘Really, cleaning is a form of home maintenance, keeping your home clean is as relevant as changing a light bulb or putting mulch in your garden,’ Schneider said.

‘It adds to when you want to do things around your home, Bunnings is a compelling destination.’

You can watch Lou’s video below:

Credit: @thatmoneymum / TikTok

Key Takeaways
  • Australians are increasingly shopping at Bunnings, known for hardware, household staples like cleaning and pet supplies due to cost savings.
  • Bunnings has entered the $5 billion cleaning market, offering popular brand products in bulk at competitive prices, and is backed by a price-beat guarantee.
  • Customers have been sharing positive experiences and price comparisons between Bunnings and supermarket giants on social media, highlighting Bunnings' lower prices.
  • Bunnings has expanded its offerings with a focus on home improvement and maintenance.
Have you ventured into Bunnings for your cleaning or pet supplies? What has your experience been like? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
I guessing they'll start their own supermarket chain before much longer. The ripoff stores, Coles & WW could sure use some more competition.

• Haha
Reactions: Tervueren and Libz
Wish they would sell Earth washing powder which they don't test on animals, which I buy from Coles when its on special.

I guessing they'll start their own supermarket chain before much longer. The ripoff stores, Coles & WW could sure use some more competition.
Bunnings is owned by the same mob that owns Coles, KMart, Target and Myers.

Reactions: Tervueren
Wish they would sell Earth washing powder which they don't test on animals, which I buy from Coles when its on special.
Earth makes false claims regarding its washing powder. Check out these lies stated in their advertising spiel.

It states that it is a plant based formula and low in sodium. Until you look at the material safety data sheet regarding its composition.

Chemical Name, CAS Number and Proportion (%)

Sodium Carbonate 497-19-8 30 – 60%
Sodium Sulfate 7757-82-6 10 – 30%
Sodium Citrate 6132-04-3 10 – 30%
Sodium Bicarbonate 144-55-8 1 0 – 30%
Sodium Methyl Ester Sulfonate 149458-07-1 < 10%
Sodium Aluminosilicate 1344-00-9 < 10%
Sodium Oleate 143-19-1 < 10%
Bentonite 1302-78-9 < 10%
Cellulose Gum 9004-32-4 < 10%
Fragrance < 1%

Could someone please enlighten me as to which of these chemicals are "plant based"?

"Low in sodium"? The shit is chock-a-block full of the stuff!

Until you delve deeper into how everyday products are manufactured, you will remain blinded by the advertising fluff offered by these snake oil salesmen.

Take, for example, the "greatest" advancement of the 21st century - the self combusting electric vehicle!

Reactions: Tervueren