Shoppers are not happy with this 'ageist' self-checkout feature

We here at the SDC are longtime fans of ALDI. Not only do they have some of the best prices on groceries around, but their products are also often just as good – if not better – than what you'd find at a more expensive supermarket.

We know that a lot of our members also love shopping there because it helps them to save a lot of money – something that's very important, especially for seniors on a fixed income.

So what's not to like? Well, apparently, there is one thing...and it has some customers pretty upset.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 3.22.22 PM.png
One shopper said she was 'very disappointed' to see that the self-serve checkouts didn't accept cash. Credit: 7News.

Recently, the supermarket has been trialling self-serve checkouts at stores across New South Wales – and this change has sparked some serious backlash from shoppers.

Why? Because these new checkouts are 'card only' payment methods; they don't accept cash!

For some shoppers (particularly seniors), this is a very big deal indeed, as many still prefer to use cash instead of cards for their transactions - especially small and quick ones.

One customer aged in her 70’s took to social media recently to express her frustration with the new system after she was unable to pay for her groceries with cash.

'I love ALDI, but today I was very disappointed,' the woman wrote in a Facebook post. 'Our local has just installed self-checkouts - which I am happy to use. I went prepared, but then I found out… it only accepts cards, not cash. Come on, ALDI, that is ageism!'

'I am 70+ years old, and I use cash, and so do most of my generation. It is not often I am disappointed by ALDI,' she went on to admit.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 3.22.15 PM.png
Cashless grocery payments are becoming more and more popular. Credit: Getty Images. (Stock photo)

The post quickly garnered hundreds of responses from fellow Aussie shoppers who were quick to agree with the woman's claims, with many saying that it's discriminatory if supermarkets don't offer an alternative payment method for those who prefer cash.

One person argued: 'They have left the elderly and disabled behind,' while another added, 'Many still use cash; there should be a choice. I'm 53 and still prefer cash over a card. My mum is 85, and she only uses cash. We should all have a choice.'

'I'm 32 and mostly use cash. It's not just a seniors way. Cash is king and always will be,' said a third.

And we can definitely see their point… After all, even though credit and debit cards have been around for quite some time now (Quick fun fact: credit cards were first introduced in Australia way back in 1974!), many of us are still uncomfortable using them or simply don't have access to them.

In response to this growing backlash against its 'ageist' checkout system, an ALDI spokesperson told a news source recently: 'Self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop, and all ALDI self-serve checkouts are card only to maximise efficiencies.

Then, they added: 'If a customer prefers to use cash, our regular checkouts are always available.'

Well, that's good news for anyone who prefers to use ‘old-fashioned’ methods like coins and notes over plastic when paying for their grocery shopping!
Key Takeaways

• A shopper has accused ALDI of 'ageism' after the supermarket giant introduced self-serve checkouts that only accept card payments.
  • Many agreed and said that the move discriminates against those who prefer to use cash, as there are limited options for them.

Members; how do you feel about the current state of self-serve checkouts in supermarkets around the country? Do you think more should be done to provide options for those who prefer to use cash and interact with a checkout person? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
We here at the SDC are longtime fans of ALDI. Not only do they have some of the best prices on groceries around, but their products are also often just as good – if not better – than what you'd find at a more expensive supermarket.

We know that a lot of our members also love shopping there because it helps them to save a lot of money – something that's very important, especially for seniors on a fixed income.

So what's not to like? Well, apparently, there is one thing...and it has some customers pretty upset.

View attachment 7929
One shopper said she was 'very disappointed' to see that the self-serve checkouts didn't accept cash. Credit: 7News.

Recently, the supermarket has been trialling self-serve checkouts at stores across New South Wales – and this change has sparked some serious backlash from shoppers.

Why? Because these new checkouts are 'card only' payment methods; they don't accept cash!

For some shoppers (particularly seniors), this is a very big deal indeed, as many still prefer to use cash instead of cards for their transactions - especially small and quick ones.

One customer aged in her 70’s took to social media recently to express her frustration with the new system after she was unable to pay for her groceries with cash.

'I love ALDI, but today I was very disappointed,' the woman wrote in a Facebook post. 'Our local has just installed self-checkouts - which I am happy to use. I went prepared, but then I found out… it only accepts cards, not cash. Come on, ALDI, that is ageism!'

'I am 70+ years old, and I use cash, and so do most of my generation. It is not often I am disappointed by ALDI,' she went on to admit.

View attachment 7930
Cashless grocery payments are becoming more and more popular. Credit: Getty Images. (Stock photo)

The post quickly garnered hundreds of responses from fellow Aussie shoppers who were quick to agree with the woman's claims, with many saying that it's discriminatory if supermarkets don't offer an alternative payment method for those who prefer cash.

One person argued: 'They have left the elderly and disabled behind,' while another added, 'Many still use cash; there should be a choice. I'm 53 and still prefer cash over a card. My mum is 85, and she only uses cash. We should all have a choice.'

'I'm 32 and mostly use cash. It's not just a seniors way. Cash is king and always will be,' said a third.

And we can definitely see their point… After all, even though credit and debit cards have been around for quite some time now (Quick fun fact: credit cards were first introduced in Australia way back in 1974!), many of us are still uncomfortable using them or simply don't have access to them.

In response to this growing backlash against its 'ageist' checkout system, an ALDI spokesperson told a news source recently: 'Self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop, and all ALDI self-serve checkouts are card only to maximise efficiencies.

Then, they added: 'If a customer prefers to use cash, our regular checkouts are always available.'

Well, that's good news for anyone who prefers to use ‘old-fashioned’ methods like coins and notes over plastic when paying for their grocery shopping!
Key Takeaways

• A shopper has accused ALDI of 'ageism' after the supermarket giant introduced self-serve checkouts that only accept card payments.
  • Many agreed and said that the move discriminates against those who prefer to use cash, as there are limited options for them.

Members; how do you feel about the current state of self-serve checkouts in supermarkets around the country? Do you think more should be done to provide options for those who prefer to use cash and interact with a checkout person? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

View attachment 7929

View attachment 7930

Key Takeaways

I will not use a self serve check out. I want to be served by a human. I sometimes shop at ALDI but I take my time bagging my purchases. Usually the checkout people are patient with me.
Target only have self serve which I had to use once, after scanning my goods I needed a bag was informed the purchase price was 15c. I lost it then and told the Target employee if I had to serve myself and then pay for a bag they could keep their goods and started to walk away. The employee gave me a bag as I had spent nearly $200 on new towels.

I disagree with the sentiment that “most of the older generation use cash”. I’m 70 and honestly can’t remember the last time I had cash in my wallet, apart from my $2.00 for the Aldi trolley. All of my shopping, banking, bill paying, transfer of funds etc is done online, and the lives of my friends are handled on line too! I think the lady complaining in this article is the only one being “ageist” and would urge her to get with the program or get left behind. And stop speaking for other 70+…we’re not all dinosaurs!

When shopping at ALDIs I prefer to use cash because when one uses card, they charge you extra. If they are putting self checkouts, then they should to like all other supermarkets and NOT charge extra for having to use a card

I disagree with the sentiment that “most of the older generation use cash”. I’m 70 and honestly can’t remember the last time I had cash in my wallet, apart from my $2.00 for the Aldi trolley. All of my shopping, banking, bill paying, transfer of funds etc is done online, and the lives of my friends are handled on line too! I think the lady complaining in this article is the only one being “ageist” and would urge her to get with the program or get left behind. And stop speaking for other 70+…we’re not all dinosaurs!
I'm 75 and always use card, it's so much more convenient.
I fought getting a mobile phone for years and now think how silly was that!!
Why are these people complaining, after all you have plenty of choice, self serve, checkout, online, click and collect, just choose the one that suits you best, stop complaining and enjoy the day.
It's such a little thing to be making such a disaster of.
At the moment I have a husband in hospital ( 3 hours away), a disabled daughter who has just been told she has oral cancer again for the 4th time and a little 🐕💕 who also needs an operation.
How I wish all I had to worry about was supermarkets.

Why are these people complaining, after all you have plenty of choice, self serve, checkout, online, click and collect, just choose the one that suits you best, stop complaining and enjoy the day.
At the moment I have a husband in hospital ( 3 hours away), a disabled daughter who has just been told she has oral cancer again for the 4th time and a little 🐕💕 who also needs an operation.
Sending love and hugs:love::love:🥰🥰

View attachment 7929

View attachment 7930

Key Takeaways

I'm 73 years old with very limited eyesight so I will not use self serve checkouts. It's not just Aldi, it's also Kmart, Big W, and Target. There is often someone there to help but they get you started then walk away because someone else also needs help. This new trend is discriminating against not just older people but also the disabled. I am now known in my local Kmart, as soon as they see me they will jump behind a proper checkout and serve me properly.

View attachment 7929

View attachment 7930

Key Takeaways

Some members may not be aware that there is a surcharge on credit card payments at Aldi. That’s why I use cash and not credit card.

View attachment 7929

View attachment 7930

Key Takeaways

I think it will slow things down as the operators are very proficient and move the customers very quickly thru the check out

Reactions: Ricci
Money is one of the dirtiest, most disgusting things. Believe me, I used to work in a bank!
The governments should remove it completely. We should become a cashless society.
My mum is almost 90, Italian and she has learnt how to use a card and loves it now.
Sorry, but I think all this talk about "discrimination" is bull.
You have the choice to still use a normal checkout so what is the problem!

View attachment 7929

View attachment 7930

Key Takeaways

I personally do not like or use self serve checkouts unless there is no other choice. I'd much prefer to use a staff assisted checkout and help to continue to provide jobs for people. These jobs provide a start up for the younger generation just entering the workforce, for the older generation winding down to retirement, for those with limited skills and those looking for some part-time work. The social interaction with a staff member can brighten a person's day, we as a society are becoming too fast paced and very anti-social. Technology is taking over too much.

Each to their own!
I am mainly a cash person and what peeves me off is that you do not have a choice at some places, cash is still legal tender!
Why would I want to use cards, phones, internet and what, get hacked, look at all the hacking that is going on with these big companies at the moment!! It appears that the only thing that is safe is cash and yes, before anyone mentions it, you could get robbed, I prefer to take my chances!
Have a lovely weekend people and stay safe!

Best reply I have ever seen

View attachment 7929

View attachment 7930

Key Takeaways

Self service is simply a means for supermarkets to profit while shortening the workforce. And if people, especially those preferring cash over cards, need to use them then their needs should be catered for. These big, greedy corporations are simply in their businesses for the money only. They have no interest in the people who keep them afloat.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci