Shoppers are FURIOUS at supermarket self-serve checkouts — find out why!

These days, it seems like everything is self-service.

You can now pump your own petrol, check yourself in at the airport, and even buy your groceries without speaking to a single soul. And while this may be more convenient for some people, others are not so thrilled about it.

In fact, a lot of people are downright angry about self-serve checkouts – especially at supermarkets. A few days ago, a post written by a frustrated shopper voicing their displeasure with these newfangled machines went viral.

‘Dear Kmart, Coles and Woolworths,’ the post begins. ‘You are almost exclusively self-checkout now.’

Screenshot_1.png
The viral post calls out ‘almost exclusively self-checkout’ supermarkets. Credit: Facebook.com/Meanwhile in Australia

The shopper goes on to recount an incident where they were asked by a staff member to show their receipt as they were exiting the store. When they refused, the staff member allegedly called after them as they left.

In response, the shopper simply held up their receipt above their head and kept walking out of the store. Yikes!

‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be,’ the post continues icily.

‘I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you.’

The sentiment seems to be one that many Aussies share, as a glance at social media reveals an avalanche of similar opinions.

‘I f***ing hate self-checkout,’ one user fumed. ‘You always have to ask for help and then the staff give you s**t.’

pexels-anna-shvets-3962285 (1).jpg
Self-checkout: the new shopper’s dilemma? Credit: Pexels.com/Anna Shvets
Another irate customer said, ‘Is it too much to ask that someone pack my groceries for me? I'm so over self-serve checkouts.’

And one disgruntled shopper even threatened to boycott supermarkets that have self-serve checkouts. ‘I'm not shopping at any store with self-checkout,’ they wrote.

‘I'll go to a store that uses cashiers. They need the job.’

On the note of jobs, one wrote: ‘I refuse to use (self-checkouts) as it encourages job losses for others.’

In response to the outpouring of reactions, a representative of Woolworths told Yahoo News that customers ‘always’ have the option to be served by a cashier and that they remain focused on providing shoppers with many ways to buy goods.

The advance of self-checkouts might not be so clear cut as they have one rising enemy: theft.

In the United States, grocery store chain Wegmans ultimately scrapped the use of its self-checkout app — until further notice — citing losses over shoplifting.

Back home, a report citing a Finder National Survey revealed that around two million Aussies admitted to stealing at self-service checkouts amid rising prices of goods.

The reality is that self-checkouts are not always faster or easier to use – in fact, they can be a cause of frustration and delays.

If the recent furore is anything to go by, they are certainly not always providing the level of customer service that shoppers expect.

So, what do you think? Are self-serve checkouts more trouble than they're worth? Or are they a convenient addition to supermarkets?

Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Sponsored

You can now pump your own petrol, check yourself in at the airport, and even buy your groceries without speaking to a single soul. And while this may be more convenient for some people, others are not so thrilled about it.

In fact, a lot of people are downright angry about self-serve checkouts – especially at supermarkets. A few days ago, a post written by a frustrated shopper voicing their displeasure with these newfangled machines went viral.

‘Dear Kmart, Coles and Woolworths,’ the post begins. ‘You are almost exclusively self-checkout now.’

View attachment 7010
The viral post calls out ‘almost exclusively self-checkout’ supermarkets. Credit: Facebook.com/Meanwhile in Australia

The shopper goes on to recount an incident where they were asked by a staff member to show their receipt as they were exiting the store. When they refused, the staff member allegedly called after them as they left.

In response, the shopper simply held up their receipt above their head and kept walking out of the store. Yikes!

‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be,’ the post continues icily.

The sentiment seems to be one that many Aussies share, as a glance at social media reveals an avalanche of similar opinions.

‘I f***ing hate self-checkout,’ one user fumed. ‘You always have to ask for help and then the staff give you s**t.’

View attachment 7011
Another irate customer said, ‘Is it too much to ask that someone pack my groceries for me? I'm so over self-serve checkouts.’

And one disgruntled shopper even threatened to boycott supermarkets that have self-serve checkouts. ‘I'm not shopping at any store with self-checkout,’ they wrote.

On the note of jobs, one wrote: ‘I refuse to use (self-checkouts) as it encourages job losses for others.’

In response to the outpouring of reactions, a representative of Woolworths told Yahoo News that customers ‘always’ have the option to be served by a cashier and that they remain focused on providing shoppers with many ways to buy goods.

The advance of self-checkouts might not be so clear cut as self-checkouts have one rising enemy: theft.

In the United States, grocery store chain Wegmans ultimately scrapped the use of its self-checkout app — until further notice — citing losses over shoplifting.

Back home, a report citing a Finder National Survey revealed that around two million Aussies admitted to stealing at self-service checkouts amid rising prices of goods.

The reality is that self-checkouts are not always faster or easier to use – in fact, they can be a cause of frustration and delays.

If the recent furore is anything to go by, they are certainly not always providing the level of customer service that shoppers expect.

So, what do you think? Are self-serve checkouts more trouble than they're worth? Or are they a convenient addition to supermarkets?

View attachment 7010

View attachment 7011

The advance of self-checkouts might not be so clear cut as self-checkouts have one rising enemy: theft.

I dislike self-serve checkouts and avoid them if at all possible. They should only be used for 12 items or less. Bring back the cashier checkouts especially for the my generation who could need help.

View attachment 7010

View attachment 7011

I refuse to use them as I prefer to keep young people in a job (as well as older people). The number of self serve checkouts increases dramatically whenever a supermarket does a makeover. Look to the future and think, where will my kids get a casual job for experience or pocket money.

View attachment 7010

View attachment 7011

dont use them and wont use them, and if a shop has only those I would just leave all the stuff in the trolly and walk out, at least some would HAVE a job putting all the shit back on the shelf

Thanks so much for your replies! I especially love that all of you really put a premium on actual people helping you out with your groceries.

When you think about it, it's pretty sobering to realise there's a human cost to self checkouts (as well as other automated services once done by people).

Last edited:
NO... I do not work for these supermarkets, I pay THEM! I am not trained to pack shopping bags and if I crush my bread no one will replace it, actually if I make any mistake while I am doing it myself... I then have no warranty. Supermarkets make very large profits for off shore owners, so I am surely getting no discount for packing my own groceries AND I am doing someone's Grand Child out of a job! Sometimes I help them keep a child in work by collecting a variety of goods and re-homing them on different shelves in different areas... someone has work putting them back.... ice cream in the Hot Chicken rack would be nasty though...

View attachment 7010

View attachment 7011

I'm a believer that there should be SELFSERVE check out that is for say 25 items or less + also keep the EXPRESS at the so called smoke counter 10 items or less. Main reason for keeping CASHIERS there are millions of customers out there that either have very large amount of shopping or they have trouble use so called NEW TECH. Then there are the customers who look forward to the quick chat with the cashier (remember it maybe one of the few times they get to talk to someone). I am 61 yrs old and have use all three of these types of serves, and can tell you that when I do my main shop I do not want to scan & pack a full trolley load of items. My way of thinking is Under 12 items may use the EXPRESS or SELFSERVE or CASHIER. UNDER 25 items SELFSERVE or CASHIER. But anything over 25 items should be handled by a store cashier. From my personal experience I hate using the so called SELFSERVE as I am always having to ask for help because items wont scan properly. Maybe COLES & WOOLWORTHS can take a leaf out of ALIDI handling of goods. The cashier scans but the customer packs their own bags (I'm kind of OK with that). But I will miss chatting with the Cashiers while they scan & pack for me.
REMEMBER Coles & Woolworth I have probably just finished a 2 hour walk around your shop trying to find what I want because YOU KEEP CHANGING where you put items ( I hate that more than self-serve).

View attachment 7010

View attachment 7011

I regularly use self-serve for small shops and staffed checkouts for large shops.

Self-serve checkouts are slow and cumbersome... holding up people behind you. At Woolies, if I need help, it is readily available and I am grateful for the always friendly assistance.

Much quicker, easier and sociable at staffed, dare I say 'manned' checkouts. Prefer those. Keeps people employed too and makes the experience enjoyable and more personal.

I'm happy to use self-serve checkouts, on the whole I find them quicker than waiting in line while a chatty cashier talks to the customer, I can be in and out nothing worse than being in line behind a large grocery shop and the cashier in go slow mode. I do find the Aldi checkouts very efficient; staff are pleasant you pack your groceries where you want them and you're on your way.

Kmart have doubled down on the nonsense with their new placement of all checkouts mid-store. At least when checkouts were at the store front it was easy to see if people tried to leave without paying. Ridiculous to have to queue at checkout and then again to leave the store so that receipt could be sighted.

In recent years, the large chain stores - Coles, Kmart, Target, Woolworths etc - have tried to force us to use self-serve checkouts by severely reducing access to full service checkouts. Our local Woolies only ever has one full service checkout open, even when it is busy. Our local Target store only has self-service so I no longer shop there. As a result, the stores operate on a skeleton crew and it is difficult to find an assistant who is available to help you when needed. It's difficult to find an assistant - period! If you can get the customer to be your unpaid staff, you can reduce your payroll, rake in more profit and pass the savings onto customers in the form of lower prices. Wait a minute, has anyone noticed the savings being passed on to customers? No, I thought not.

View attachment 7010

View attachment 7011

I hate self serve checkouts and try and go to stores that don’t have them or at least have aCouple of cashiers on if something won’t go through the self serve thing you have to wait until someone is free to help you and they are always busy there’s only one person I to help
And I don’t think we should be checking our own shopping we aren’t getting paid to do it so if that’s what the stores want then put the prices of everything down but
Get rid of self self serve they are awful you carnt talk to anyone these days it’s all B robots