Shoppers are 'disappointed' after learning of this little-known Kmart checkout rule

Christmas is right around the corner, and although it might feel a bit different this year given the current global situation, that doesn't mean that we can't still enjoy all of the traditions we love.

One of those beloved traditions happens to be Christmas shopping, which for many of us includes spending hours trawling through our favourite stores in search of perfect presents for our loved ones.

While Kmart is always a popular choice for Aussies during the holiday season (and all year round, to be honest), some shoppers have taken to social media recently to voice their disappointment with a little-known rule that could change the way you shop at the store in the next few weeks.

It seems that Kmart doesn't offer layby on Christmas items - meaning if you're hoping to put something special away now and pay it off gradually over time, you might need to look elsewhere.

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.07.29 PM.png
The lack of layby options for Christmas products at Kmart has frustrated many shoppers. Credit: Facebook.

This news obviously didn't go down well with some people who saw it as a hindrance, especially given that budgets are often tight at this time of year.

'Disappointing that you cannot layby anything Christmas,' wrote one disappointed shopper on Facebook. 'Totally love shopping at Kmart. But I was dissatisfied with this service and don't feel like shopping there anymore.'

Another person asked: 'Why can't we layby on Christmas things? Is that new now?' with a third saying: 'Might take my money somewhere else. I think Kmart needs to look into this as budgets are tight at the moment.'

Understandably, people had a lot of questions about why this policy exists - especially since most other major retailers do offer layby services during the festive period.

Thankfully, a Kmart spokesperson was able to provide some clarity on the matter when contacted by a news outlet.

They explained: 'No layby available on clearance products, food, plants, nominated big and bulky products and seasonal event products (including Christmas products). Customers can, of course, still layby most of our other products, including gifts.'
Key Takeaways

• Kmart shoppers have been voicing their frustration over the retailer's little-known rule that Christmas items are not eligible for layby.
  • This rule has been in place for a long time, but some customers only recently discovered it.
  • Kmart defended the policy, saying that it helps to avoid having seasonal stock that can't be sold and would likely be thrown out.
  • Despite the rule, customers can still layby most other products, including gifts.

This policy, it would seem, helps Kmart stores avoid being stuck with seasonal goods they can't sell and would otherwise have to toss out.

So there you have it - now you know which items would be exempt from being put on layby at Kmart this Christmas, so you better get that shopping list ready! Which items are you eyeing? Share some in the comments!

Sponsored
I wonder if people realise they can still lay by gifts etc. just not trees a decorations and that sort of thing. It’s always been gifts I wanted to lay by.

Reactions: Ricci
Warringah Mall KMart doesn’t do any laybys at all I was actually told by the store manager that if I wanted to lay by the product I wanted to buy as I didn’t have enough money I could go to Warriewood store as they do lay-bys but Warringah Mall doesn’t do lay-bys so that is something interesting to know that not all stores do lay-bys.

Reactions: Ricci