Shopper's 'annoying' discovery leads to a heated confrontation with retail workers

We here at the SDC love nothing more than a good old-fashioned grocery haul. There's just something exciting about stocking up on essentials, giving new products a go, and strolling around the store to keep an eye out for your favourite items on special. I guess you could say this is further proof that we’re getting old…

But as much as we love going shopping, there's no denying that it can sometimes be a bit of a nightmare… And this Woolworths customer has had enough of it.

Posting on TikTok, Tasmanian shopper Clint shared footage that showed 10 trolleys and ‘roll cages’ blocking shelves in an aisle. The trolleys and cages contained boxes of new stock. They were placed there by employees who were replenishing shelves.

In the TikTok video, Clint can be heard venting out his frustrations as the trolleys made the aisles inaccessible.

‘I just went to Woolworths, don’t you just love being able to see what you’re looking for?’ he said.

‘This is bulls***, look at all these trolleys. No workers. You have to move these trolleys out of the way to see what you want – and it’s in every aisle.’

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 8.53.41 AM.png
The shopper was infuriated with the trolleys that were left unattended. Source: @clint_pearce_321

The customer added the hashtag ‘#notgoodenough’.

However, his brief rant sparked outrage among TikTok users, with many coming to the supermarket staff’s defence.

‘I’m guessing you would complain if the shelves were empty too?’ one user said.

‘How else do you think the stock gets on the shelf?’ another chimed.

‘This man is acting like he’s paying them.’ a third criticised, while another sarcastically said: ‘Gee, mate. It’s a hard life!’

Several retail workers were also quick to slam the shopper in the comments section, with one arguing: ‘It’s pushed to the side, so it’s not in people’s way. Stop complaining about retail unless you do it.’

Source: @clint_pearce_321

‘F***, mate… We have to get the job done somehow.’ another retail worker wrote.

‘It can’t always be helped. I worked at one of the busiest stores in Brisbane. We had a tiny storage room.’ a third added.

‘Tell me you’ve never worked retail without telling me.’ another shared.

However, some sided with the shopper, agreeing that it was an ‘annoying’ issue.

‘They should not be doing this at peak times.’ responded one.

Another said: ‘It’s the same here in NSW. When you go shopping, a lot of the items you want or need aren’t easily accessible.’

‘Nothing annoys me more than that.’ one more sneered.
Key Takeaways

• Posting on TikTok, Clint shared footage that showed 10 trolleys and ‘roll cages’ obstructing shelves in an aisle.
  • He slammed the supermarket as he struggled to access grocery items.
  • Many defended Woolworths and its staff. Some retail workers also responded to the video, hitting out at the shopper over his complaint.
What are your thoughts about this story? Have you ever experienced a similar issue in your local store? Which side are YOU on? Let us know in the comments.

Sponsored
If the shelves were empty he would complained.

I have come across it once or twice but I was able to get what I wanted and I was able to get past the trolley.

Why did he not go to the service counter and tell them rather than put it on social media.
I'm sure customer service would have fixed it straight away.

I wonder what time he went in as usually they fill the shelves early morning or late at night.

People stop complaining over the smallest things . There are more serious issues out there.

We heard his side I would love to hear woolworths side. I know up until recently they were very short staff due to staff off in isolation

I could put up so much stuff on instagram but what for, I keep my post for exciting stuff 😁

Last edited:
We here at the SDC love nothing more than a good old-fashioned grocery haul. There's just something exciting about stocking up on essentials, giving new products a go, and strolling around the store to keep an eye out for your favourite items on special. I guess you could say this is further proof that we’re getting old…

But as much as we love going shopping, there's no denying that it can sometimes be a bit of a nightmare… And this Woolworths customer has had enough of it.

Posting on TikTok, Tasmanian shopper Clint shared footage that showed 10 trolleys and ‘roll cages’ blocking shelves in an aisle. The trolleys and cages contained boxes of new stock. They were placed there by employees who were replenishing shelves.

In the TikTok video, Clint can be heard venting out his frustrations as the trolleys made the aisles inaccessible.

‘I just went to Woolworths, don’t you just love being able to see what you’re looking for?’ he said.

‘This is bulls***, look at all these trolleys. No workers. You have to move these trolleys out of the way to see what you want – and it’s in every aisle.’

View attachment 7358
The shopper was infuriated with the trolleys that were left unattended. Source: @clint_pearce_321

However, his brief rant sparked outrage among TikTok users, with many coming to the supermarket staff’s defence.

‘This man is acting like he’s paying them.’ a third criticised, while another sarcastically said: ‘Gee, mate. It’s a hard life!’

Several retail workers were also quick to slam the shopper in the comments section, with one arguing: ‘It’s pushed to the side, so it’s not in people’s way. Stop complaining about retail unless you do it.’

‘It can’t always be helped. I worked at one of the busiest stores in Brisbane. We had a tiny storage room.’ a third added.

Another said: ‘It’s the same here in NSW. When you go shopping, a lot of the items you want or need aren’t easily accessible.’

Key Takeaways

• Posting on TikTok, Clint shared footage that showed 10 trolleys and ‘roll cages’ obstructing shelves in an aisle.
  • Many defended Woolworths and its staff. Some retail workers also responded to the video, hitting out at the shopper over his complaint.
What are your thoughts about this story? Have you ever experienced a similar issue in your local store? Which side are YOU on? Let us know in the comments.

This used to be done at night, but I guess they have to pay more for night fill staff.

View attachment 7358

Key Takeaways

It is an annoying issue, stock replenishment should be done after hours. My local Coles does also does theirs first thing in the morning and I really object to piles of frozen foods sitting in front of the chill cabinets with no-one around to stock the shelves. It is an issue I have spoken to the manager about and he tells me it is a head office decision to get rid of night time fills

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 7358

Key Takeaways

I think that if they employed overnight or early morning to do this a lot of people like mums before school or

View attachment 7358

Key Takeaways

I think if they employed early morning before opening staff like mums or dads before school or shift workers etc to do this there would be a lot of people willing to do it. It is happening everywhere

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 7358

Key Takeaways

GET A LIFE .all shops are short of staff and because of this they are trying to do the best they can under the circumstances we ALL HAVE TO BE NOT SO PRECIOUS AND BE THANKFULL THAT WE ARE LUCKY TO LIVE WHERE THERE ARE SHOPS TO GO TO

Reactions: Maurie7 and Ricci
My

View attachment 7358

Key Takeaways

My local woolworths is a " bun fight " sometimes .When turning into the freezer section I often have to move around 2 trolleys with supplies for the freezer plus the staff pushing their coustomer shopping trolleys and stopping to select goids . One day I was shocked at actually having an empty aisle after weeks of manouvering around pallets ,trolleys and workers . Often the staff move quite fast around the corners of the aisles and almost take me out .

• Haha
Reactions: LH2022 and Ricci

View attachment 7358

Key Takeaways

Actually, I’m on the shopper’s side. I’ve encountered this problem on most occasions while shopping in-store. I understand that the staff need to restock the shelves. However, filling the aisles with unattended stock cages is unacceptable. The cages should be accessed by the staff worker only WHEN THEY ARE READY TO UNPACK THEM! In that way, the only cages in the aisles will be those that are currently being unpacked to the shelves. It is also frustrating to have to ‘see around’ the cage to find your choice.

They no longer employ people to do "night fill" to avoid paying the late night rates. Meanwhile, the filling tends to be done during the day and is inconvenient to both shoppers and staff.

View attachment 7358

Key Takeaways

Shelves should be restocked in night time how it was done in good days ,before big greed set in.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 7358

Key Takeaways

I’d love to know what time this was? For goodness sake, they have to stock the shelves!!! Does he expect them to go in out of the storeroom & get one item at a time to put on the shelf so he’s not inconvenienced? What a whinger, get a grip Clint, no surprise that your a TikToker…lol 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 7358

Key Takeaways

Perhaps the supermarkets should price the goods on the trolleys. Then they could do away with the shelves. Just roll the trolley into the Pty space. They good retrench the workers used to place stuff on the shelves. Productivity could increase as there wouldn’t be so much double handling. The trolleys could be stacked in the storage area.

Wha
Perhaps the supermarkets should price the goods on the trolleys. Then they could do away with the shelves. Just roll the trolley into the Pty space. They good retrench the workers used to place stuff on the shelves. Productivity could increase as there wouldn’t be so much double handling. The trolleys could be stacked in the storage area.

Whinge Whinge Whinge, they'd also whinge if they went in and found the shelves empty.

I thought one of Woolworths excuses was that there was a staff shortage. There certainly is a shortage of unskilled labour in Australia so no one should be unemployed.

Reactions: Ezzy and Maurie7