Shoppers accuse Coles of cost-cutting - Is your favourite item the latest victim of shrinkflation?

There is no denying that we all appreciate retailers who are able to maintain fair and reasonable prices for their products.

But what we don't like is when companies manage to keep their prices low by cutting the portion size of a product, without informing the customer properly of these changes.

Shrinkflation is an all-too-familiar experience for shoppers, especially now that the skyrocketing cost of living makes it difficult for many people and businesses to make ends meet.

It’s a very irritating problem, and unfortunately, it’s rife in Australia, with customers finding much smaller portions of chips, cheese, soft drinks and other food items sold on shelves for the same price.

While many shoppers are familiar with this tactic, it is still frustrating to encounter, particularly when it affects products that we have been purchasing for years. The disappointment of discovering a change in a familiar product can be jarring.

One such instance of shrinkflation came to light when a Coles shopper and SDC member noticed a significant change to her favourite Coles Beetroot Slaw, while the cost remained the same.

SDC member Margaret was left disappointed and frustrated after she realised that the label on the packet of her mix mismatched its contents.

She wrote: ‘I have been a Coles shopper for many years and have often bought a product called Beetroot Slaw. It sells for $2 and I have always been happy with it until now.’

aa slaw2.jpg
Margaret claimed that she had been buying Coles' Beetroot Slaw for several years and was content with the product until a recent incident. Credit: Supplied/Seniors Discount Club.

According to the label in the packet, the mix should contain 42 per cent broccoli, thirty per cent beetroot, and twenty-eight per cent carrot.

However, when Margaret opened it, she noticed that the ratio was all out of whack and that there was more carrot than beetroot and broccoli, even though she regularly buys the product primarily for its beetroot and broccoli content.

She added: ‘The last packet I bought, I believe is more like ninety per cent carrot, ninety-five per cent broccoli, and five per cent beetroot’.

‘The packet was the best of a bad bunch to choose from. As I needed something quickly for that evening meal, I still bought it.’

Margaret said that while she enjoys the convenience of pre-packaged beetroot slaw mix — the bonus of saving time and the mess that comes with grating your own vegetables — she was disappointed by the fact that the company 'cheated' her.

aa slaw 3.jpg
The customer alleged that the quantity of beetroot and broccoli specified on the packaging label did not match the actual contents of the packet. Credit: Supplied/Seniors Discount Club.

'I removed the Beetroot and Broccoli and used only a small amount of the carrot, which I combined with other ingredients to make my slaw,’ she wrote.

‘The finished result was good, but unfortunately, I could not make as much as I usually do, due to the lack of beetroot.’

Coles has yet to comment on the issue.

It should be noted that the retailer also has a ‘Love It Or Money Back’ program, which encourages customers who are not completely satisfied with their purchases to return the item to the store for a full refund or a replacement. More information about this scheme can be found here.

Key Takeaways
  • Shrinkflation, the intentional shrinking of portion sizes while keeping the price the same, is a common occurrence in Australia.
  • One Coles shopper noticed a significant reduction in the size of their favourite Coles Beetroot Slaw mix while the cost remained the same.
  • The label in the packet did not match the ratio of ingredients inside, as there was more carrot than beetroot and broccoli.
  • The shopper was disappointed by the company for 'cheating' her by reducing the amount of the ingredients she was looking forward to adding to her homemade slaw.

Margaret's story reminds us of how vigilant we must be as grocery shoppers - especially during the times when the cost of everyday essentials has shot through the roof.

If you encounter any instances like Margaret's in your local supermarket, be sure to speak to their staff and see what options are available - whether it be a refund, a replacement or even just an explanation as to why the current product mixes now contain a different amount of ingredients.

Additionally, you can always take the time to compare items before buying and research the stores that offer good value for money.

What are your thoughts on this, folks? Do you think retailers should be more transparent with the changes they impose on their products? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
That's been going on forever, look at all the pre-packaged products, they have the letter "e" next/near the weight/size. that means ESTIMATE and I'd bet that NONE of them are ever oversize. Try it yourself, next time you see "E" on something take it to a set of scales and actually weigh it. It's another way they make profit, It's practically on everything now.

That's been going on forever, look at all the pre-packaged products, they have the letter "e" next/near the weight/size. that means ESTIMATE and I'd bet that NONE of them are ever oversize. Try it yourself, next time you see "E" on something take it to a set of scales and actually weigh it. It's another way they make profit, It's practically on everything now.
I agree with you, it's been happening for years and yes, I always check the pre-packaged fruit/vege products to make sure they're the weight they claim to be. Usually I return the pre-packaged stuff and select my own fruit and veges because the stated weight on the package is nowhere near the actual weight! I've brought this matter up with many supermarkets but it doesn't change anything, apparently most customers don't mind paying for the 'convenience' or buying pre-packaged goods..

Just another item that has shrunk

Has anyone noticed eggs seem smaller although the weight on boxes haven't change but the egg just seems smaller
Absolutely correct, I recently purchased a box of fresh eggs that were 'Extra Large' on the box but were more like small- medium. Are the chooks getting smaller? We are all being ripped off more and more and it's very frustrating

This is one reason I open the cartons to see the actual eggs before buying them. Not only can I check to ensure none have been broken but I can see the size of the eggs too. The size varies a lot as Basilp has found, but there are larger options available so check the carton before buying it.

There is no denying that we all appreciate retailers who are able to maintain fair and reasonable prices for their products.

But what we don't like is when companies manage to keep their prices low by cutting the portion size of a product, without informing the customer properly of these changes.

Shrinkflation is an all-too-familiar experience for shoppers, especially now that the skyrocketing cost of living makes it difficult for many people and businesses to make ends meet.

It’s a very irritating problem, and unfortunately, it’s rife in Australia, with customers finding much smaller portions of chips, cheese, soft drinks and other food items sold on shelves for the same price.

While many shoppers are familiar with this tactic, it is still frustrating to encounter, particularly when it affects products that we have been purchasing for years. The disappointment of discovering a change in a familiar product can be jarring.

One such instance of shrinkflation came to light when a Coles shopper and SDC member noticed a significant change to her favourite Coles Beetroot Slaw, while the cost remained the same.

SDC member Margaret was left disappointed and frustrated after she realised that the label on the packet of her mix mismatched its contents.

She wrote: ‘I have been a Coles shopper for many years and have often bought a product called Beetroot Slaw. It sells for $2 and I have always been happy with it until now.’

View attachment 14730
Margaret claimed that she had been buying Coles' Beetroot Slaw for several years and was content with the product until a recent incident. Credit: Supplied/Seniors Discount Club.

According to the label in the packet, the mix should contain 42 per cent broccoli, thirty per cent beetroot, and twenty-eight per cent carrot.

However, when Margaret opened it, she noticed that the ratio was all out of whack and that there was more carrot than beetroot and broccoli, even though she regularly buys the product primarily for its beetroot and broccoli content.

She added: ‘The last packet I bought, I believe is more like ninety per cent carrot, ninety-five per cent broccoli, and five per cent beetroot’.

‘The packet was the best of a bad bunch to choose from. As I needed something quickly for that evening meal, I still bought it.’

Margaret said that while she enjoys the convenience of pre-packaged beetroot slaw mix — the bonus of saving time and the mess that comes with grating your own vegetables — she was disappointed by the fact that the company 'cheated' her.

View attachment 14729
The customer alleged that the quantity of beetroot and broccoli specified on the packaging label did not match the actual contents of the packet. Credit: Supplied/Seniors Discount Club.

'I removed the Beetroot and Broccoli and used only a small amount of the carrot, which I combined with other ingredients to make my slaw,’ she wrote.

‘The finished result was good, but unfortunately, I could not make as much as I usually do, due to the lack of beetroot.’

It should be noted that the retailer also has a ‘Love It Or Money Back’ program, which encourages customers who are not completely satisfied with their purchases to return the item to the store for a full refund or a replacement. More information about this scheme can be found here.

Key Takeaways

• Shrinkflation, the intentional shrinking of portion sizes while keeping the price the same, is a common occurrence in Australia.
  • One Coles shopper noticed a significant reduction in the size of their favourite Coles Beetroot Slaw mix while the cost remained the same.
  • The label in the packet did not match the ratio of ingredients inside, as there was more carrot than beetroot and broccoli.
  • The shopper was disappointed by the company for 'cheating' her by reducing the amount of the ingredients she was looking forward to adding to her homemade slaw.

Margaret's story reminds us of how vigilant we must be as grocery shoppers - especially during the times when the cost of everyday essentials has shot through the roof.

If you encounter any instances like Margaret's in your local supermarket, be sure to speak to their staff and see what options are available - whether it be a refund, a replacement or even just an explanation as to why the current product mixes now contain a different amount of ingredients.

Additionally, you can always take the time to compare items before buying and research the stores that offer good value for money.

What are your thoughts on this, folks? Do you think retailers should be more transparent with the changes they impose on their products? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Yep - that’s a combined percentage of more than 100%. You can only fit 100% of anything into a package!

This is one reason I open the cartons to see the actual eggs before buying them. Not only can I check to ensure none have been broken but I can see the size of the eggs too. The size varies a lot as Basilp has found, but there are larger options available so check the carton before buying it.
I may be wrong but I think that 70gm eggs indicates that it is an ‘average’ weight of 12 eggs in the whole carton, not the weight of each egg. You might find some are larger and some are a little smaller.

View attachment 14730

View attachment 14729

Key Takeaways

Just another rip off from our major supermarkets. They wonder why people are shopping around and not buying from them.

I thought the same about the eggs so I got my old carton and weighed that and then I weighed the full package and the weight of the stated eggs was correct. The eggs do look smaller and sometimes I got jumbo eggs with double yolks.

Reactions: Ricci
Just another item that has shrunk

Has anyone noticed eggs seem smaller although the weight on boxes haven't change but the egg just seems smaller
Eggs are sold by the whole carton weight not the egg size like it used to be, they put a couple of larger eggs in and the rest are little, been like that for a verrrry long time.