Shopper warns that beans from Woolies could 'explode' in your pantry

Hold on to your beans, folks! What you're about to read isn't your typical product warning story…

A Sydney shopper recently shared a shocking incident that occurred in her home, caused by a can of Woolworths-branded Four Bean Mix that exploded in her pantry.

Yes, you read that right! A can of beans from Woolies reportedly 'exploded' in a shopper's pantry. Sounds like something out of a cartoon, eh?

'Hey guys, just a heads up! You may want to check your food cupboards and pantries tonight,' said the woman in a Facebook post, adding: 'Mine looks like a crime scene from an exploding four bean mix tin I bought in Woolworths on Sunday night.'

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 12.54.26 PM.png
A woman complained that a can of beans she recently bought at Woolworths 'exploded' in her pantry. Credit: Facebook.

Photos of the aftermath depict a crime scene-like layer of grime. According to the shopper, the 'explosion' happened around 6:32 PM, just a couple of days after buying the canned beans from the supermarket.

'Thankfully, no one was hurt, and all food was salvaged after a good rinse,' she went on to say.

Some other people joked that beans usually cause 'explosions' after they're eaten, breaking the tension of the serious warning message with a good old-fashioned joke.

And while we are thankful that the woman or her family weren't harmed by the incident, the real danger lies in the fact that this type of explosion can be caused by a deadly type of bacteria.

According to a comment on the woman's Facebook post, this incident is actually a concerning public health issue. 'I'm glad you didn't eat the contents, as one of the bacteria responsible for puffed or exploding cans is botulism,' explained one user.

This Sydney shopper narrowly dodged a double danger - not only was she at risk of being near an explosive can, but the contents inside could have also resulted in fatal food poisoning.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper shared a mess created by an exploding tin of beans on social media.
  • Photos of the destroyed pantry showed the extent of the damage caused by the product.
  • Woolworths apologised and said this doesn't meet their usual standards of quality and they will look into it further.
Woolworths has since apologised for the mess and said the incident appears to be an isolated case, but the customer still encouraged people to be vigilant and check their pantries.

'We are sorry this has caused such a mess,' said a spokesperson. 'This doesn't meet our usual standards of quality, and we're disappointed to see this customer's experience.'

'This appears to be an isolated customer report, and we've passed it on to our supply partner to look into it further.'

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 12.54.20 PM.png
The beans smelled 'putrid' after the explosion, indicating that they had gone bad prior to the incident. Credit: Facebook.

Incidents like this are a stark reminder of the importance of being vigilant when it comes to checking the expiry dates of our food products.

It's important that if you ever come across a questionable product, you report it to both the store and the appropriate authorities. By working together and staying alert, we can help ensure the safety of our community.

So, always take the time to check those expiry dates, and never hesitate to speak up if you suspect something is amiss. It's a small effort that can make a big impact on our overall safety and well-being.

Looks like Woolies is on a roll with their explosive products, eh? A few weeks ago, we wrote about a watermelon that blew up in a shopper's kitchen, leaving behind a sticky mess that was a pain to clean up. Click here if you want to read more about the story.

Have you ever had a dodgy food product? Tell us about it and what you did in the comments.

Sponsored
Hold on to your beans, folks! What you're about to read isn't your typical product warning story…

A Sydney shopper recently shared a shocking incident that occurred in her home, caused by a can of Woolworths-branded Four Bean Mix that exploded in her pantry.

Yes, you read that right! A can of beans from Woolies reportedly 'exploded' in a shopper's pantry. Sounds like something out of a cartoon, eh?

'Hey guys, just a heads up! You may want to check your food cupboards and pantries tonight,' said the woman in a Facebook post, adding: 'Mine looks like a crime scene from an exploding four bean mix tin I bought in Woolworths on Sunday night.'

View attachment 12103
A woman complained that a can of beans she recently bought at Woolworths 'exploded' in her pantry. Credit: Facebook.

Photos of the aftermath depict a crime scene-like layer of grime. According to the shopper, the 'explosion' happened around 6:32 PM, just a couple of days after buying the canned beans from the supermarket.

'Thankfully, no one was hurt, and all food was salvaged after a good rinse,' she went on to say.

Some other people joked that beans usually cause 'explosions' after they're eaten, breaking the tension of the serious warning message with a good old-fashioned joke.

And while we are thankful that the woman or her family weren't harmed by the incident, the real danger lies in the fact that this type of explosion can be caused by a deadly type of bacteria.

According to a comment on the woman's Facebook post, this incident is actually a concerning public health issue. 'I'm glad you didn't eat the contents, as one of the bacteria responsible for puffed or exploding cans is botulism,' explained one user.

This Sydney shopper narrowly dodged a double danger - not only was she at risk of being near an explosive can, but the contents inside could have also resulted in fatal food poisoning.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper shared a mess created by an exploding tin of beans on social media.
  • Photos of the destroyed pantry showed the extent of the damage caused by the product.
  • Woolworths apologised and said this doesn't meet their usual standards of quality and they will look into it further.
Woolworths has since apologised for the mess and said the incident appears to be an isolated case, but the customer still encouraged people to be vigilant and check their pantries.

'We are sorry this has caused such a mess,' said a spokesperson. 'This doesn't meet our usual standards of quality, and we're disappointed to see this customer's experience.'

'This appears to be an isolated customer report, and we've passed it on to our supply partner to look into it further.'

View attachment 12104
The beans smelled 'putrid' after the explosion, indicating that they had gone bad prior to the incident. Credit: Facebook.

Incidents like this are a stark reminder of the importance of being vigilant when it comes to checking the expiry dates of our food products.

It's important that if you ever come across a questionable product, you report it to both the store and the appropriate authorities. By working together and staying alert, we can help ensure the safety of our community.

So, always take the time to check those expiry dates, and never hesitate to speak up if you suspect something is amiss. It's a small effort that can make a big impact on our overall safety and well-being.

Looks like Woolies is on a roll with their explosive products, eh? A few weeks ago, we wrote about a watermelon that blew up in a shopper's kitchen, leaving behind a sticky mess that was a pain to clean up. Click here if you want to read more about the story.

Have you ever had a dodgy food product? Tell us about it and what you did in the comments.
Tins of Golden Circle Pineapple Pieces that bulged out at each end as the seam splits, tin of Heinz Tomato Soup that splits at the seam, and a small tin of Golden Circle Beetroot splitting at its seam - all in my pantry.
This happens far too often.
I thought it was defective can making and my kitchen being so horrendously hot in Summer as I have no air-con and it reaches 31-34C in my flat, in Brighton, Vic.

View attachment 12103

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12104

I assume this is an overseas can some canning factories overseas don't do such a good job

I wonder if it has anything to do with the temperature inside the house.
My wife was complaining that the can lentils had no expiry date and when we checked not many of the cans had expiry dates.
Other products require an expiry date so why do some cans not have one