Shopper ridiculed over $200 Coles receipt rant

The rising cost of living is a concern for many Australians, but one parent's attempt to highlight the issue has sparked a wave of criticism and mockery online.

The parent, known as DunnyDoorBandit on social media, took to the platform to vent his frustration at the cost of his family’s recent Coles shopping trip, blaming Prime Minister Anthony Albanese's tax cuts for their financial woes.

However, the contents of their shopping trolley and his subsequent defence of their purchases have drawn more attention than their original complaint.

'$200 at Coles for this,' DunnyDoorBandit posted, alongside a photo of their shopping trolley.

'Yep, that tax cut is going to go a long way…to nowhere, also filled the car, $98.'

'Cheers, [Prime Minister Albanese], you liar.'

'We are now just wallets for governments & corporations to take from.'

photo (3).jpg
A father posted a rant about his $200 grocery bill on social media. Image source: X/@DunnyDoorBandit.

The trolley, filled with items such as a 30-pack of Pepsi cans, several 600ml soft drink bottles, pot noodles, Coco Pops, chips, Nutella, steaks, and household items, including shampoo, quickly became the focus of the online community.

Many questioned the cost of the items, with some demanding to see an itemised receipt to prove the $200 total.

'You obviously woke up this morning and thought what could you be outraged at today because there’s zero chance that cost you anywhere near $200,' one commented.

'Show us the itemised receipt, very doubtful this cost $200,' another replied.

In response, DunnyDoorBandit shared a transaction screenshot showing the total came to $194.89 and provided a breakdown of the items, which also included shampoo and conditioner, cleaner, broccoli and cauliflower, bin bags, deodorant and personal items.

But instead of relenting, his doubters instead zeroed in on another detail.

One asked: 'Why do you eat like a first-year uni student?'

In response, he said that he had growing teenage boys 'who love to snack on things other than fresh [veggies] and fruits all the time'.

However, this did little to quell the criticism, with many pointing out the unhealthy nature of the food items and suggesting that better budgeting and shopping choices could have reduced the cost.

One user wrote: 'Why every time someone posts a picture of their trolley and blames our Prime Minister, it’s filled with stuff you don’t need for good healthy eating?'

Another added: 'You purchased nothing but junk food, I see why it cost you $200.’

‘I spent $175 on Thursday and got fruit and vegetables, three nights of meat, fish and chicken, half a kilo of prawns, six litres of milk, frozen peas and corn, wedges and spring rolls, one raisin loaf and two white.'

The father responded again, saying, 'That’s not the point, mate….twiggy sticks for a party used to be $10 three months ago, now $15.40. Why?’

‘The whole point is the fact that everything is on the rise with no end in sight and no control by those in power to do anything.‘

While the online mockery of DunnyDoorBandit's shopping choices may seem harsh, it does highlight a serious issue facing many Australians—the rising cost of living.

The annual inflation rate was 5.4 per cent in the September quarter, down from a peak of 7.8 per cent in December 2022.

Food prices have also increased by 4.8 per cent over the year.

Dairy and related products also saw a 10.2 per cent increase. Bread and cereal were up 9.7 per cent, meat and seafood rose 2.2 per cent, but fruit and vegetable prices fell 6.4 per cent compared to 12 months earlier.

It is understood that the latest inflation figures for the final quarter of 2023 will be released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Wednesday, January 31.

The average Aussie household also reportedly spent $182 on their weekly grocery shop in October 2023, according to comparison website Finder’s Consumer Sentiment Tracker.

Two in five (39 per cent) respondents also said their grocery shopping was causing them financial stress. That number doubled over the last three years, from 19 per cent in October 2020.

In the lead-up to Christmas, community food banks have also reported unprecedented demand from Aussies struggling to cope with the skyrocketing cost of living.

'We’re increasingly seeing mothers with babies and children and many of their partners work a full-time job, and they’re still unable to provide for their family,' Zuzana Droppa, OzHarvest’s Waterloo Market Manager, said.

'The price of everything is going up, and people are not being paid proportionally.'
Key Takeaways
  • An angry parent blamed Prime Minister Anthony Albanese for not providing sufficient tax cuts after a $200 Coles grocery shop that included mainly junk food and household items.
  • Social media users criticised the parent's choice of items and suggested the need for better budgeting and shopping for healthier options.
  • The parent defended their purchases, highlighting the rising prices of everyday items and expressing frustration over the perceived lack of control by the government.
  • Amidst high inflation rates and increasing living costs, Australian households experience financial stress, with some choosing budget supermarkets for cheaper options, while food banks face unprecedented demand.
What are your thoughts on this story, dear members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Nope, that bill seem right to me - biggest money eater is the Pepsi Max as it can cost anywhere between $26.00 - $47.20 for a case of 30. And Coke Zero about the same. And remember if you buy a smaller case each can costs more. Remember not everyone is a HEALTH NUT or have the time to plan everything in their daily lives.

That's a really NASTY comment at the end of your rant.
BUT true!

Gee love how people just attack this guy because of what he purchased. Is everyone assuming this is all he feeds his family?
So what if he goes out for a shop and grabs a few Munchies for his kids? He was simply just showing that what he bought was very expensive and that the prices for those items have gone up horrendously. From the way most people are carrying on they must assume the children have intravenous drips with Pepsi flowing through it and peg feeds with cheap cereals being pushed into the children's stomach's. He didn't have to buy it but he did and that's his choice ,what is not his choice is the cost of it.

Seriously this man is a moron! The crap he has in his trolley is unbelievable then he makes the excuses about his teenage boys 'snacking' load of crap just excuses not to do a proper shop with healthy snacks, chicken would have been cheaper than the packets of steak, vegetables fruit and nuts cheaper than the ctn of Pepsi...this man has no idea
even bread and water could keep him alive ...selfish man.how dare he want to eat "rich peoples food (the nerve).......some people

Baubleheads! Can only think many of these commenters did not have children and did not host after sport game BBQs or let their children have friends over for any fun. Perhaps only their short-term memory works or perhaps they are just paragons of virtue (in their own minds).

Baubleheads! Can only think many of these commenters did not have children and did not host after sport game BBQs or let their children have friends over for any fun. Perhaps only their short-term memory works or perhaps they are just paragons of virtue (in their own minds).
Gotta admit though why whinge about it if that’s the case😊

Reactions: Leenie
We have a shopping list and my husband checks the price tag (he has better eyesight than me) to see if it would be cheaper in a another size or a different brand. Aldi cereals are cheaper than Kellogs and taste just the same.

Try being a Coeliac where food was already expensive and yesterday a box of cereal $8!!!!!
I just bought a big box of weetbix still $6.00 been that price forever. You can get gluten free weetbix 375g about $4.00 you can eat these last you for ages.😊

Last edited:
I hate anyone telling me what I should and shouldn’t buy with my own money. However if you put it out there then stop complaining and blaming everyone else for the cost your choices. He obviously bought expensive items as apposed to more thrifty choices. Junk food is expensive, everyone knows that. It really isn’t the prime minister forcing him to buy it

Reactions: Littleboy8
Seriously this man is a moron! The crap he has in his trolley is unbelievable then he makes the excuses about his teenage boys 'snacking' load of crap just excuses not to do a proper shop with healthy snacks, chicken would have been cheaper than the packets of steak, vegetables fruit and nuts cheaper than the ctn of Pepsi...this man has no idea

I just bought a big box of weetbix still $6.00 been that price forever. You can get gluten free weetbix 375g about $4.00 you can eat these last you for ages.😊
$6.00 for Weet-bix gee last time I a got a box it was $3 something.
Yes the gluten free one is cheaper and lasts longer because it tastes like s***. 🤣

Reactions: Littleboy8
$6.00 for Weet-bix gee last time I a got a box it was $3 something.
Yes the gluten free one is cheaper and lasts longer because it tastes like s***. 🤣
When was that in the stone age🤣it’s 1.2kg and lasts me forever😋anything gluten free tastes like shit.🤣

The day I put a photo of my grocery trolley on social media will be the day I go in for an old fart brain scan. What I buy and how much I pay is my business.
Quite frankly, I cannot see $200 in the buy, but not everyone bothers, whether they have the time or not, to look at cost saving exercises.
Posting the shop on social media only serves to highlight the way some people choose to live.
The cost of groceries is a big deal in our home. Pensioners do watch what they buy because they have to. In our home, we do not go without anything we like. My MONTHLY shop last week was $162 after rewards redemption and various discounts. The only top up shops I do are for fresh milk and bread or if hubby is craving desperately for a vanilla slice.
I am not any smarter than other of my shopping friends. I believe most of us do what is right for our household.
Some shoppers relish convenience over price. We prefer to do things our way. Having said that, I don't need to display such choices on social media.

Nope, that bill seem right to me - biggest money eater is the Pepsi Max as it can cost anywhere between $26.00 - $47.20 for a case of 30. And Coke Zero about the same. And remember if you buy a smaller case each can costs more. Remember not everyone is a HEALTH NUT or have the time to plan everything in their daily lives.

That's a really NASTY comment at the end of your rant.
No that's reality! These are the kids we,are talking about eating this crap not the "so called" adult who knows better...but obviously NOT IN THIS CASE and that's a HUGE cop out about time planning....MAKE IT!

Gee love how people just attack this guy because of what he purchased. Is everyone assuming this is all he feeds his family?
So what if he goes out for a shop and grabs a few Munchies for his kids? He was simply just showing that what he bought was very expensive and that the prices for those items have gone up horrendously. From the way most people are carrying on they must assume the children have intravenous drips with Pepsi flowing through it and peg feeds with cheap cereals being pushed into the children's stomach's. He didn't have to buy it but he did and that's his choice ,what is not his choice is the cost of it.
He whinged about it !! And no they haven't gone up horrendously as you put it ....this was his weekly shop NOT JUST SNACKS! far cheaper alternatives...FYI no one attacked him he was stupid enough to put it on social media! No sympathy

He whinged about it !! And no they haven't gone up horrendously as you put it ....this was his weekly shop NOT JUST SNACKS! far cheaper alternatives...FYI no one attacked him he was stupid enough to put it on social media! No sympathy
more like no mercy ,thank you sensei