Shopper overcharged $197 on her Woolies receipt, but people are calling her out instead…

One woman has taken to Facebook to rant about how she was charged an additional $197 bucks for items she did not purchase at her local Woolworths. The management at the store has since then apologised to her and refunded her the same amount.

However, after reading her post, many fellow shoppers came to the store’s defence and called out the woman for being in the wrong.

qE10V34I-baI0sACs6YAV3c_JydRO1AzqN1DUoTr6NU4qtpBHHY4IIkD_r50-Zg07jWcAkZ9rUyHhx49q2r0jEaxKuvBhp1YttDRndS5pyv3bjePgrCJZ3DqdnTNKZOCjg8eBdzG

Woolworths overcharged a shopper an additional $197 in her purchase. Credit: AAP.

In a Facebook post, one woman from NSW has warned fellow Woolies shoppers to check their receipts because she just discovered that she was charged a whopping $197 extra for items she did not purchase.

The shopper said the extra items on her receipt were not scanned by the cashier and when she asked the store staff, “nobody could explain” where they came from.

The management at her local Woolworths has since then reached out to her and refunded the same amount unintentionally added to her receipt.

A spokesperson for the supermarket said that incidents like this were highly “unusual” and that shoppers should rest assured this would never happen again. “We take pride in offering our customers a positive experience in our stores and are disappointed that wasn’t the case on this occasion,” they said.

cts8V_7-78SPIDXzZozGiXsb9lFriTAXjG52x14B8eHK3Yyt0T4aCFo2aGz4yUVYjhe9x8DX2e3BP-YZ09FZ3TPfjGjwP4pX25IB5bfZPl95utAKOUCypr4HKvfTbChkLeBMNdTr

The woman noticed an additional $197 worth of items on her receipt. Credit: Facebook.

But in her Facebook post, the woman added that she was disappointed she never received an additional gift card or incentive from the store to compensate for the error.

“After receiving the refund, which won’t go back into my account straight away, all I got was a sorry,” she said. “Would have been nice to get a gift card or something as I have been a loyal Woolies customer for years with groceries and insurance.”

And this is when the wave of comments from some social media users – heated by the woman’s remarks – started flooding in.

Several people questioned the woman’s “intentions” for sharing the post, and asked her how she could have not noticed right away the massively inflated grocery bill.

“Your fault for not questioning at the time. I think most people would automatically question a $200 hike in their total bill before they left the checkout,” wrote one person. “They apologised and refunded your money. End of transaction.”

“How on earth did you not realise the amount before you paid?! I smell a bid for compo,” said another.

A third even added that the woman “deliberately allowed” the overcharge to happen just so she could receive compensation for the checkout error.

The woman has responded to the backlash. “Well I don’t know about you, but I don’t watch everything scanned but I did notice the total,” she said and added that the cashier, too, should have noticed the marked up price for a relatively few products.

“I was just making people aware that they should check their dockets.”

Good advice! Check your dockets, folks! But what do you think? Was the woman wrong to ask for additional compensation?

Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Shopper overcharged $197 on her Woolies receipt, but people are calling her out instead…

One woman has taken to Facebook to rant about how she was charged an additional $197 bucks for items she did not purchase at her local Woolworths. The management at the store has since then apologised to her and refunded her the same amount.

However, after reading her post, many fellow shoppers came to the store’s defence and called out the woman for being in the wrong.

qE10V34I-baI0sACs6YAV3c_JydRO1AzqN1DUoTr6NU4qtpBHHY4IIkD_r50-Zg07jWcAkZ9rUyHhx49q2r0jEaxKuvBhp1YttDRndS5pyv3bjePgrCJZ3DqdnTNKZOCjg8eBdzG

Woolworths overcharged a shopper an additional $197 in her purchase. Credit: AAP.

In a Facebook post, one woman from NSW has warned fellow Woolies shoppers to check their receipts because she just discovered that she was charged a whopping $197 extra for items she did not purchase.

The shopper said the extra items on her receipt were not scanned by the cashier and when she asked the store staff, “nobody could explain” where they came from.

The management at her local Woolworths has since then reached out to her and refunded the same amount unintentionally added to her receipt.

A spokesperson for the supermarket said that incidents like this were highly “unusual” and that shoppers should rest assured this would never happen again. “We take pride in offering our customers a positive experience in our stores and are disappointed that wasn’t the case on this occasion,” they said.

cts8V_7-78SPIDXzZozGiXsb9lFriTAXjG52x14B8eHK3Yyt0T4aCFo2aGz4yUVYjhe9x8DX2e3BP-YZ09FZ3TPfjGjwP4pX25IB5bfZPl95utAKOUCypr4HKvfTbChkLeBMNdTr

The woman noticed an additional $197 worth of items on her receipt. Credit: Facebook.

But in her Facebook post, the woman added that she was disappointed she never received an additional gift card or incentive from the store to compensate for the error.

“After receiving the refund, which won’t go back into my account straight away, all I got was a sorry,” she said. “Would have been nice to get a gift card or something as I have been a loyal Woolies customer for years with groceries and insurance.”

And this is when the wave of comments from some social media users – heated by the woman’s remarks – started flooding in.

Several people questioned the woman’s “intentions” for sharing the post, and asked her how she could have not noticed right away the massively inflated grocery bill.

“Your fault for not questioning at the time. I think most people would automatically question a $200 hike in their total bill before they left the checkout,” wrote one person. “They apologised and refunded your money. End of transaction.”

“How on earth did you not realise the amount before you paid?! I smell a bid for compo,” said another.

A third even added that the woman “deliberately allowed” the overcharge to happen just so she could receive compensation for the checkout error.

The woman has responded to the backlash. “Well I don’t know about you, but I don’t watch everything scanned but I did notice the total,” she said and added that the cashier, too, should have noticed the marked up price for a relatively few products.

Good advice! Check your dockets, folks! But what do you think? Was the woman wrong to ask for additional compensation?

I check my docket every time. Have been overcharged many times over the years. Especially sale items, sometimes prices haven't been changed and if you don't check they get the right price. A few years back they used to give you your money back and the item. Couple months back i was overcharged $5 + for something took receipt back and management refunded all the money plus the price of the item. So got it for free.

Same thing happened to my 96 yr old friend at Coles, but the customer in front of her had not paid...got her groceries for free and my friend had them added to her bill... she was looking at the docket while I was putting them in the cupboard ($48 worth) I went back to the store and after being able to list off the top of my head all the items she had bought got her money back but now we check before we leave the store.
Anyone noticed some dockets dont print items in the order they are scanned ..makes life difficult.

I agree that the woman should have checked her docket, but she got a refund so why complain. When scanning was first introduced I bought three items and was charged $195 instead of $19.50 so I got my items for free without asking. The check girl was new and apologised and told me it was her first day. I felt for her and told her we all make mistakes but learn from them.

I don't know what people do while their shopping is being scanned thru a checkout to not notice a huge 'mistake' in total cost like this. I can accept that a few dollars might happen if a product is accidentally scanned more than once. But looking at her shopping docket, it looks as tho its someone elses shopping that may have been 'saved' for whatever reason that has been somehow added to the middle of her shopping. She should have been paying attention & immediately questioned the total amount before leaving the store. But then posting on Fb, makes her look even more foolish & as for expecting a gift card or something, what a bloody gold digger.

Woolies was always overcharging us at the checkout. ALWAYS! We became good @ checking receipts. Every shop we had at least one discrepancy to bring to their notice. Thankfully in the past 6 months it has not been as big a problem.
Aldi on the other hand have never overcharged us. At the time we found this fascinating. Obviously different set ups because one store got it so right ALL the time & a huge store got it wrong so frequently. Woolies has definitely done something about their problem but we suggest you still check your receipts. Occasionally we still find a wrong pricing. (always in their favour I might add).

Her problem for not checking each and every transaction before paying and checking receipt after oaying?

Don't know how everyone else shops but I very rarely check my docket while still at the store I am more intent on just getting out of there, I absolutely hate shopping, for groceries especially. I will take note of specials as they are put through the till, especially really good markdowns, but to be honest I don't always do that as I am busy loading bags Etc. My bad I guess.

No I agree a gift card would have been a nice token for loyalty.

• Angry
Reactions: Defiant540

I have been on this earth long enough not to believe everything I read. I would have queried it at the checkout immediately.....come on, a list that long of items she did not buy????!!! Something does not add up

This happened to us recently, but not in a supermarket, in a lifestyle store. The customer in front of us had asked for the price of some sheets, when they were scanned she didn't want them but the girl on the till didn't take it off and it ended up on our bill. My husband noticed it straight away and they refunded it immediately.

Reactions: Tervueren

Always check your dockets/receipts.
Some (but not all) supermarkets are signatories to the code of practice for computerised checkout systems in supermarkets. The supermarkets which participate in the code display signs telling customers that they are participants.
The code says that when an item is scanned at a higher price than it says on the shelf or as advertised, a customer is entitled to receive the first item free and all later items at the lower price.
There are some exceptions:
  • Liquor products
  • Tobacco products
  • Items without a barcode or PLU number
  • Items with a shelf price of $50 or more
  • 3rd party gift cards
  • buy one get one free promotion, the promotion is honoured, rather than an item being given for free.
  • spend a certain amount and get a percentage off promotion, the promotion is honoured, rather than an item being given for free.
  • Aldi with their special buy lines
Despite what some supermarkets might tell you, it is not necessary for the customer to have paid for the goods or to have left the store to be entitled to receive the first item free of charge.
Customers can complain to a supervisor or the store manager if staff refuse to comply with the code. If the store does not comply with the code, a customer can take their complaint to the Australian National Retailers Association (ANRA) on 02 8249 4520.