Shopper horrified by gross salad discovery; Woolworths’ standards questioned

In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, we often rely on the convenience of pre-packaged meals for a quick, healthy bite.

But what happens when that convenience turns into a nightmare?

One Melbourne man found out the hard way when he discovered an unwelcome guest in his Woolworths salad mix.

Viraji Patel, a 24-year-old vegetarian, was enjoying his lunch break when he made a stomach-churning discovery.

SDC 3.png
Patel a stomach-churning discovery in his Woolworths salad. Image source: Viraji Patel.

He had combined a Woolworths mixed salad with some falafel and dressing and was halfway through his meal when he noticed something unusual.

'I started eating right away, and while eating, I noticed there was something black, and then I looked carefully and it was an insect,' Viraji recalled.

'I was literally disgusted and threw it right away.'

The offending creature, believed to be a field cricket, was about one and a half centimetres long.

It was nestled amongst the shredded carrot and spinach leaves, a stark contrast to the vibrant colours of the salad.

'I was disgusted,' Viraji reiterated.

'The first thought I had was I was glad that I didn’t put that in my mouth accidentally.'

Viraji had purchased the salad mix from a Woolworths store in Oakleigh, in Melbourne's Southeast.

He immediately lodged a complaint with the supermarket, expressing his concern over the quality of their products.

'I contacted Woolworths and they said, “We will refund you $5.”' Viraji recalled.

'I was like, “I don’t need your $5 gift voucher. First of all, I am a vegetarian... and there are not a lot of options for me.”'

He added, 'They should raise the standards if they are serving all of Australia and something like this happens. And I saw it’s not just me. More people have found bugs and insects in their salads.'

In response to the incident, a spokesperson for Woolworths said that they take all customer feedback seriously and that they 'understand this must have been an unwelcome surprise for this customer'.

'We have been speaking to this customer directly and have investigated this with our team and supplier as a priority.'

'Our supplier conducted numerous quality assessments on this batch of mixed salad leaves and did not detect any foreign objects throughout the processing, so this appears to be an isolated incident.'

As Patel pointed out, this is not the first time Woolworths has faced such complaints.

A Perth woman also found a black beetle-like insect in her Caesar salad, while a Queensland woman discovered a live redback spider in her punnet of grapes last year.

Another Woolworths customer recently found a spider inside a bag of bananas.

But instead of leaving the bananas (and the spider) behind or whipping out a can of bug spray to kill it, they did something not many people would do.

You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths shopper was left disgusted after finding a field cricket in his salad mix.
  • Despite being offered a $5 refund by Woolworths, the shopper expressed concern over food standards.
  • Woolworths stated that they take customer feedback seriously and investigated the incident as a priority.
  • Woolworths has previously been involved in similar controversies, with a recent one involving a spider found in one of their bananas.
Have you ever found something unexpected in your pre-packaged salad? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Col@45
Sponsored
Exactly as Beauty says, it says on the bag to wash the salad, it has been rinsed in some unhealthy concoction. I actually think it’s refreshing and rather surprising since these (not very healthy) salads are rather sterile.
Have never bought salad in a bag but can see the need by some people, making a fresh salad is quite radical these days eh…
Making such a fuss about an insect is a bit over the top, even for a vegetarian! In Asia they've been eating insects forever which makes me gag but probably healthier than grain fed gmo beef.

Unbelievable how we have become a nation of whingers, people are quick to blame the supermarkets but they don’t package the salads, they can’t inspect the hundreds of packs individually, and it says on the packet WASH BEFORE, the joys of convenience

Disgusted is a bit precious.

It was a bug for God's sake.

Try washing the content and putting it in a bowl in handfuls so you'll have a chance to remove any foreign object.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with an added bit of protein.
If I had bought it I would have missed out on the free cricket because I wash everything before eating.

Reactions: Snosoo
Unbelievable how we have become a nation of whingers, people are quick to blame the supermarkets but they don’t package the salads, they can’t inspect the hundreds of packs individually, and it says on the packet WASH BEFORE, the joys of convenience
Convenient
Unbelievable how we have become a nation of whingers, people are quick to blame the supermarkets but they don’t package the salads, they can’t inspect the hundreds of packs individually, and it says on the packet WASH BEFORE, the joys of convenienc
Disgusted is a bit precious.

It was a bug for God's sake.

Try washing the content and putting it in a bowl in handfuls so you'll have a chance to remove any foreign object.
Sometimes people are just lazy and can’t be bothered to take the time and follow directions ,remember when people ate these type of salads and their lives were ruined from slugs hiding in these foods.

Reactions: Snosoo
What is wrong with people. Read the instructions on the package and even if it says WASHED AND READY TO EAT - STILL WASH IT. Go to a market garden and if allowed walk through and I guarantee you will see more than one little cricket flying,buzzing or crawling among the beautifully fresh leafy greens and other vegetables.
Your comments were way over the top and dramatic.

Reactions: Beauty28