Shopper calls out Woolworths over 'shameful' Christmas gift: 'Why give anything?'

The season of giving often comes with a sense of community and generosity, with businesses and individuals alike sharing in the festive spirit.

However, for one Woolworths customer, the supermarket giant's attempt at spreading Christmas cheer fell notably short.

The customer, who goes by @alia_has_endo on social media, expressed her disappointment over the festive surprise in her recent Direct to Boot order.

SDC 33.png
A Woolworths customer questioned the supermarket giant’s Christmas gift to its customers this year. Image source: TikTok/@alia_has_endo.

In a video she shared on social media, the mum shared that in 2022, after a year of loyal shopping, she received a box of Cadbury Favourites and a Christmas card from Woolworths.

However, this year, she was disheartened to find a Christmas card and a zip-lock snack bag containing just two small chocolates, a mini candy cane, and a single Mentos lolly.

The customer's disappointment was heightened because Woolworths posted a staggering $1.62 billion profit in the last financial year.

She questioned the supermarket's generosity, saying, 'I just think, from the company that has done so well this year and we’re seeing a cost of living crisis…this is what they hand out.'

'Why give anything?' she asked.

Her sentiments resonated with some social media users who agreed that Woolworths could have done better.

One user commented, 'Over a billion in profits, considering how much customers spend, especially in this economy, not even a Cadbury Favourites box. Shameful Woolies.'

'Downgrade from last year, they could have put more effort in this year when they’ve made record profits,' another replied.

While a third said: 'I didn’t even get a card.'

'I get click and collect every week—no gift for me,' a fourth shared.

While a fifth added: 'Do better.'

However, not everyone agreed with the disgruntled customer.

Some defended the supermarket, suggesting that the gift was likely put together by an employee at her local store.

'This was probably made personally from the online team who don’t get a huge budget and just wanted to do something nice for returning customers,' one suggested.

While another said: 'I only got the lollies [and] no card. I thought it was personal shopper being nice.'

The mum somewhat relented, saying: 'If I’ve gotten it wrong, and it was the personal shopper’s gift then I apologise.'

'But I wouldn’t think a personal shopper did this from their account as we get many different people to serve us and I don’t believe a personal shopper would have been the one to give us a whole box of Cadbury favourites last year just for ordering groceries from a billion dollar company.'

'If I am wrong, I apologise.'

She then added: 'That’s the issue too, some poor overworked staff member had to do all these. Shame, Woolies.'

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed the customer’s gift was part of a festive gifting initiative at her local store.

They said, 'In the spirit of Christmas, Woolworths is celebrating a ‘season of good acts’ across our more than 1000 stores with team members choosing who and how to surprise and delight our customers.'

'It’s our way of saying thank you for shopping with us this year.'
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer expressed disappointment with the Christmas gift included with her Direct to Boot order, which, for her, was less generous than the previous year’s gift.
  • The customer highlighted Woolworths’ substantial profit in her criticism, suggesting that a more significant gesture could have been made during this cost of living crisis.
  • Social media users had mixed reactions; some echoed the sentiment of disappointment, while others defended the gift and suggested that it may be a personal gesture from local store staff with limited resources.
  • Woolworths confirmed the gift was part of a local store’s initiative to surprise and delight customers during the festive season.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you ever received a corporate gift that left you feeling disappointed or unappreciated? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The season of giving often comes with a sense of community and generosity, with businesses and individuals alike sharing in the festive spirit.

However, for one Woolworths customer, the supermarket giant's attempt at spreading Christmas cheer fell notably short.

The customer, who goes by @alia_has_endo on social media, expressed her disappointment over the festive surprise in her recent Direct to Boot order.

View attachment 37915
A Woolworths customer questioned the supermarket giant’s Christmas gift to its customers this year. Image source: TikTok/@alia_has_endo.

In a video she shared on social media, the mum shared that in 2022, after a year of loyal shopping, she received a box of Cadbury Favourites and a Christmas card from Woolworths.

However, this year, she was disheartened to find a Christmas card and a zip-lock snack bag containing just two small chocolates, a mini candy cane, and a single Mentos lolly.

The customer's disappointment was heightened because Woolworths posted a staggering $1.62 billion profit in the last financial year.

She questioned the supermarket's generosity, saying, 'I just think, from the company that has done so well this year and we’re seeing a cost of living crisis…this is what they hand out.'

Her sentiments resonated with some social media users who agreed that Woolworths could have done better.

One user commented, 'Over a billion in profits, considering how much customers spend, especially in this economy, not even a Cadbury Favourites box. Shameful Woolies.'

'Downgrade from last year, they could have put more effort in this year when they’ve made record profits,' another replied.

Some defended the supermarket, suggesting that the gift was likely put together by an employee at her local store.

'This was probably made personally from the online team who don’t get a huge budget and just wanted to do something nice for returning customers,' one suggested.

While another said: 'I only got the lollies [and] no card. I thought it was personal shopper being nice.'

The mum somewhat relented, saying: 'If I’ve gotten it wrong, and it was the personal shopper’s gift then I apologise.'

'But I wouldn’t think a personal shopper did this from their account as we get many different people to serve us and I don’t believe a personal shopper would have been the one to give us a whole box of Cadbury favourites last year just for ordering groceries from a billion dollar company.'

She then added: 'That’s the issue too, some poor overworked staff member had to do all these. Shame, Woolies.'

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed the customer’s gift was part of a festive gifting initiative at her local store.

They said, 'In the spirit of Christmas, Woolworths is celebrating a ‘season of good acts’ across our more than 1000 stores with team members choosing who and how to surprise and delight our customers.'

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer expressed disappointment with the Christmas gift included with her Direct to Boot order, which, for her, was less generous than the previous year’s gift.
  • The customer highlighted Woolworths’ substantial profit in her criticism, suggesting that a more significant gesture could have been made during this cost of living crisis.
  • Social media users had mixed reactions; some echoed the sentiment of disappointment, while others defended the gift and suggested that it may be a personal gesture from local store staff with limited resources.
  • Woolworths confirmed the gift was part of a local store’s initiative to surprise and delight customers during the festive season.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you ever received a corporate gift that left you feeling disappointed or unappreciated? Share your experiences in the comments below.
People should be grateful even for a small gift. I spent a lot of money at my bank and they made 6 times the profit of Woolworths, did I get a chocolate, NO

View attachment 37915

Key Takeaways

Some people have nothing better to do than complain!
Have shopped with a Cole’s for over 40 years and have not once received a gift!
who cares!
Stop giving these whinging clowns their 5 minutes of fame.

They didn't need to give anything. I think even the card is a thoughtful gesture.

What other shops give xmas gifts to all of their customers

I taught my kids no matter what gift you are given , be happy and appreciative. If you don't like it then give it away discretely.

Guess her parents never taught her this

Last edited:
They didn't need to give anything. I think even the card is a thoughtful gesture.

What other shops give xmas gifts to all of their customers

I taught my kids no matter what gift you are given , be happy and appreciative. If you don't like it then give it away discretely.

Guess who parents never taught her this
I was always taught that" its's the thought that counts" - this applies to ANY gift received, large or small, cheap or expensive. It's called being appreciatative.

View attachment 37915

Key Takeaways

I have never received anything free from Woolworths. Never!!!!

View attachment 37915

Key Takeaways

I do click and collect every week sometimes twice a week and have been a loyal woolies customr for many years and I have never received anything like that at all, maybe it depends on the store/location of the store and or management. Either way I will continue to be a loyal customer to woolies.

View attachment 37915

Key Takeaways

View attachment 37915

Key Takeaways

We shop there regularly and got buggerall?

This message just came into my inbox from Coles:
With Christmas nearly upon us, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to shop with us in 2023. I hope you can take some time to rest and relax over the Aussie summer.
It’s my first summer as the CEO of Coles Group and there are lots of exciting products and great value to find in store. As a mum, and an enthusiastic Christmas Day lunch host, here’s some of my tips that can help you enjoy a delicious Christmas this year…..there was more, but that is not relevant!!
A thank you is all that is needed, NOT chocolates that are not appreciated!!

View attachment 37915

Key Takeaways

I would much rather receive a lovely 40% discount and they can keep the chocolates.
I do prefer to do in store shops and never do online ordering.
Shouldn't make any difference as I'm a Rewards member.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji