Shopper calls out supermarket for 'unavailable' manned checkouts

All of us here shop at supermarkets regularly (we have to eat, after all), so we are all too familiar with the struggles of navigating self-serve checkouts.

While we have to admit that they can be quite convenient sometimes, especially when you're doing a small shop, they can also be very confusing, especially if you don't use them often. And more often than not, they end up taking much longer than a regular manned checkout.

That is why we feel the pain of this Coles customer loud and clear when he posted on social media calling out his local supermarket for only offering self-serve checkout counters.

The shopper took to Facebook recently to voice his frustration after he was forced to scan all $258 worth of his groceries at a self-serve checkout, just because there were no manned checkouts available.

4hPn_zrqekT0XSHHAaNZJvbEv7bGWdn4LpEcGHRDzw5iACB3fx6E7nQ9Yew9YaFWM2yPxDI_VmRdRbtgkpWcBT2YI9ehRUt_hAkwFZdomJBDMmzfi55zXOAu28GpetgQ-8VxQhOJOsT0h6DeSqPdIkKoez2GtHHjkT6m16z46sRt5_RNSvLARrSLVg

A Coles customer was frustrated because he had to scan and pack $260 worth of groceries all by himself. Credit: Facebook.

'You know what blows chunks? Doing a $260 grocery shop and having to do it yourself,' the shopper wrote in his post, alongside a picture of his long receipt. 'If you can't afford staff, then your business model is stuffed!'

The man continued by explaining that he has no problem using self-checkout lanes in smaller grocery runs; however, he does not feel comfortable doing so whenever he has to buy a lot of items and essentials.

'I like the self-serve if I'm buying three things, but not when I'm scanning a full trolley of stuff,' he said, adding that he would love to see supermarket staff 'redeployed' to this part of the business.

The man's post quickly racked up hundreds of comments from fellow social media users – many of whom agreed.

In the comments section, one person wrote: 'I completely agree! I hate self-service checkouts… they frustrate me so much,' with a second user adding and saying: 'Personally, I can't stand using self-service checkouts anymore. Is it too much to expect someone to pack my groceries for me and save me some time and effort?'

Another user shared that they prefer to shop at supermarkets that employ actual human beings as cashiers because they feel better about themselves knowing that they are helping real people find employment.

n8vVpjlNg1cpBYy-mz84RFW4KiyII16rOIxYbbRNnz0GUJMqWPTxWV8jhPtB6i5hn10d0PfQ1GZBt6wODug_wUjbp0ukA1VuZlkW719AaCKowXjxzgUgB_eHFyamd-gSRA2U_Brs7AlPwU6SqPjny8AqiXG8Zf3VfmA8jdMILr9BpTGuqc4jqJ5_FA

Many shoppers agree that manned checkouts are much better than self-serve ones. Credit: Facebook.

This debate comes shortly after a viral social media post began circulating on Facebook and Twitter, calling on major retailers to stop installing self-serve checkouts.

A post written by one shopper has been copied and posted on the social media accounts of Coles, Woolworths, Bunnings and Kmart in recent days by plenty of users.

'You are almost exclusively self-checkout now,' the message reads.

The customer then mentions an experience when an employee stopped them as they were leaving the store and wanted to see their receipt. When they said no, the staff member allegedly called after them as they left.

The customer didn't say anything in response; they merely raised their receipt above their head and continued to leave the store.

'You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that's your problem, not mine. Don't audit me for a position you refuse to employ any longer,' they went on to say.

'You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like they used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you.'

It appears that many Aussies feel this way since a quick look at the comments section of the posts reveals a deluge of comments that share the same views and opinions.

What about you, members - how do you feel about self-serve checkouts? Do you use them often, or do you prefer to go through a manned checkout? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I refuse to use self service- I very rarely shop at Target and Kmart - I can find what I need at other stores that serve me - supermarkets I wait for a cashier to serve me - it doesn't worry me if I walk out and leave a full trolley of groceries, for lack of service- their problem. I am not employby the company, they donot pay me a wage, let alone sick pay, holiday pay, or monies paid into my super account. I have not been trained by them. My policy is not to serve myself

I agree with this comment above, it’s also frustration is when you have to use a self checkout and you have you put your shopping bag on the weighted tray and they don’t recognise it’s a bag and you have to wait for the staff member to accept your bag ( and you have to do this for each bag before you can start filling it up) then only to have an item not scan and you have to get the staff member again to clear it and this can happen multiple times. Yes I know you can put them back in to your trolly and then pack them into your bags but their is no room to do this other option you can push your trolly to your car and then start packing them into your bags ……but then you handling each item at least four times if not more before you get out of the store or to your car. . I refuse to go through self checkout now and will shop elsewhere or if no checkout person available will not hesitate to leave my trolly and shop elsewhere just in principle. At least at Aldi your getting cheaper groceries and you know this is the the trade off for what you have to pack your own, but , but at Wollies and Coles your prices are higher so we expect the service.

All of us here shop at supermarkets regularly (we have to eat, after all), so we are all too familiar with the struggles of navigating self-serve checkouts.

While we have to admit that they can be quite convenient sometimes, especially when you're doing a small shop, they can also be very confusing, especially if you don't use them often. And more often than not, they end up taking much longer than a regular manned checkout.

That is why we feel the pain of this Coles customer loud and clear when he posted on social media calling out his local supermarket for only offering self-serve checkout counters.

The shopper took to Facebook recently to voice his frustration after he was forced to scan all $258 worth of his groceries at a self-serve checkout, just because there were no manned checkouts available.

4hPn_zrqekT0XSHHAaNZJvbEv7bGWdn4LpEcGHRDzw5iACB3fx6E7nQ9Yew9YaFWM2yPxDI_VmRdRbtgkpWcBT2YI9ehRUt_hAkwFZdomJBDMmzfi55zXOAu28GpetgQ-8VxQhOJOsT0h6DeSqPdIkKoez2GtHHjkT6m16z46sRt5_RNSvLARrSLVg

A Coles customer was frustrated because he had to scan and pack $260 worth of groceries all by himself. Credit: Facebook.

'You know what blows chunks? Doing a $260 grocery shop and having to do it yourself,' the shopper wrote in his post, alongside a picture of his long receipt. 'If you can't afford staff, then your business model is stuffed!'

The man continued by explaining that he has no problem using self-checkout lanes in smaller grocery runs; however, he does not feel comfortable doing so whenever he has to buy a lot of items and essentials.

'I like the self-serve if I'm buying three things, but not when I'm scanning a full trolley of stuff,' he said, adding that he would love to see supermarket staff 'redeployed' to this part of the business.

The man's post quickly racked up hundreds of comments from fellow social media users – many of whom agreed.

In the comments section, one person wrote: 'I completely agree! I hate self-service checkouts… they frustrate me so much,' with a second user adding and saying: 'Personally, I can't stand using self-service checkouts anymore. Is it too much to expect someone to pack my groceries for me and save me some time and effort?'

Another user shared that they prefer to shop at supermarkets that employ actual human beings as cashiers because they feel better about themselves knowing that they are helping real people find employment.

n8vVpjlNg1cpBYy-mz84RFW4KiyII16rOIxYbbRNnz0GUJMqWPTxWV8jhPtB6i5hn10d0PfQ1GZBt6wODug_wUjbp0ukA1VuZlkW719AaCKowXjxzgUgB_eHFyamd-gSRA2U_Brs7AlPwU6SqPjny8AqiXG8Zf3VfmA8jdMILr9BpTGuqc4jqJ5_FA

Many shoppers agree that manned checkouts are much better than self-serve ones. Credit: Facebook.

This debate comes shortly after a viral social media post began circulating on Facebook and Twitter, calling on major retailers to stop installing self-serve checkouts.

A post written by one shopper has been copied and posted on the social media accounts of Coles, Woolworths, Bunnings and Kmart in recent days by plenty of users.

The customer then mentions an experience when an employee stopped them as they were leaving the store and wanted to see their receipt. When they said no, the staff member allegedly called after them as they left.

The customer didn't say anything in response; they merely raised their receipt above their head and continued to leave the store.

'You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that's your problem, not mine. Don't audit me for a position you refuse to employ any longer,' they went on to say.

'You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like they used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you.'

It appears that many Aussies feel this way since a quick look at the comments section of the posts reveals a deluge of comments that share the same views and opinions.

What about you, members - how do you feel about self-serve checkouts? Do you use them often, or do you prefer to go through a manned checkout? Let us know in the comments below!
I fully agree with the article. I do like self check outs for a few items but I support real people and the security of their jobs.

So many times I’ve been to coles and had wrong prices at their self check out. Example, sausages $10 pack git rung up for $14. Of course I complained and got them free as system didn’t agree to displayed prices. I write down each item in my book and calculate how much I git left. So many errors they sick of me complaining, but if I don’t complain - yes they check the item on shelf and ticket - people behind frustrated but I gave been right 100% of times. I have only so much to spend

Absolute shit I would have walked up to the cheque out and would have walk out and told them to stick it where the sun don't shine 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I never use self service and I never will checkout operator are factored into the price of groceries

There is no customer service any longer. Everything is machine manned including phones etc.

I might not be young but I believe I am quite good with machines. Yet, those selfserved checkouts, with assistance needed, weigh with error, etc, have always got me stuck, which used to make me feel I was just stupid.

I've had experience of having dirty looks from staff for needing so many times of assistance 😪

Once, after having an 'assistance needed', I asked the Coles staff behind me for help.
I smiled at him and said, 'Excuse me, can you please help me with......', He made a quick, loud, yelled, reply of, 'I'm good! Yourself?!!!' which meant to say, I had not greeted him first. 😓 I felt really bad. 😠

I wish I could 'not' use 'self served checkouts' but dont want to wait for such a long queue to have my groceries sometimes thrown into my bags, or packed like tresh... 😥

I had little choice 😏

Reactions: Tervueren

By not having check out service we are removing another opportunity for a non- academic person to experience employment. They provide a valuable service that does not require a degree! Not everyone does well at school learning but this does not mean they are not successful in life. People skills are important and we all enjoy the friendly banter at the checkout., it can make the difference to someone’s day.

I don't use the self check out if I do my major shopping. Will only use it if I have no more than 5 items. A lot of times, I have to ask for assistance. So why bother if that's the case. Self check out does NOT always run smooth. The supermarkets chains must also remember the elderlies who are not able to scan and pack. Hope our outlets in Canberra doe not become SELF CHECK ONLY.

I agree with the above, although I’ll also plead guilty to checking out even with a large load myself because I know how much I can lift in a single bag, how many bags I have brought and I am also prepared to trust the packaging and put items in one bag which cashiers are not supposed to allow (like cleaning products in general grocery). However, I am one of the many who have opted for paperless, and so don’t have a piece of paper to wave as I exit the store. Somehow waving the phone doesn’t have the same impact, assuming the receipt has been saved there and not merely avoided by clicking “NO” to the “do you want a receipt”!