Shoplifting shenanigans: Drakes Supermarket unwraps festive theft scheme!

As shoplifting incidents continue to pose challenges for retailers, a recent development at a Drakes Supermarket in Adelaide has sparked a police investigation.

The suspected thefts have prompted concerns about security measures and the broader implications for both businesses and the community.

This latest incident underscores the ongoing battle against retail crime and raises questions about its impact on local businesses and consumers.

In what seems like a scene straight out of a heist movie, a pair of suspected shoplifters employed a rather creative method to allegedly pilfer pricey goods from Drakes supermarkets across Adelaide.

The footage, which left many scratching their heads, shows a woman casually wheeling a trolley into the Drakes store in Salisbury North.

However, this was no ordinary shopping trip—the trolley was adorned with what appeared to be a large, festively wrapped present.

1_20240604_081454_0000.png
Suspected shoplifters allegedly used a large gift box in a trolley to steal items from Drakes supermarkets across Adelaide. Credits: Facebook / 9 News Adelaide

As the woman made her way through the store, a man believed to be her accomplice was seen helping her select groceries.

But instead of heading to the checkout, these items were discreetly placed inside the gift box.

The brazen pair then proceeded to exit the supermarket, allegedly without making any attempt to pay for the concealed merchandise.

John-Paul Drake, a representative of the supermarket, expressed his astonishment: ‘Let's face it, there's not too much we haven't seen, but this one is actually something we haven't seen.’

Drakes Supermarkets management is taking the matter seriously and is collaborating with South Australia Police to identify the man and woman caught on camera.

The stakes are high, as the family-owned business reportedly loses about $10 million annually to theft, with shoplifters targeting high-value items such as premium meats, deli cheeses, and beauty products.

In the past year alone, Drake has noted a staggering 38 per cent increase in theft—a figure that is alarming not only for the business but also for honest shoppers, who ultimately bear the cost of these losses through higher prices.

As authorities delve into suspected shoplifting incidents at a Drakes Supermarket in Adelaide, a spotlight has been cast on the contentious issue of retail theft.

This recent investigation comes amidst heightened scrutiny surrounding the methods employed by businesses to combat shoplifting.

Controversy swirls around the actions of the Drakes Supermarket boss, whose polarising social media videos purportedly capture shoplifters in the act.

The intersection of these events raises questions about the effectiveness of such measures and their ethical implications in addressing retail crime.
Key Takeaways

• Suspected shoplifters used a large gift box in a trolley to allegedly steal items from Drakes supermarkets across Adelaide.
  • CCTV footage showed a woman with the box and a man who appeared to be helping her, then walking out allegedly without paying.
  • Drakes Supermarkets are collaborating with South Australia Police to identify the suspects seen across multiple stores.
  • Drakes Supermarkets reported losing about $10 million annually to theft, with a 38 per cent increase in shoplifting incidents over the past year, targeting items like premium meats and beauty products.
Have you ever witnessed any unusual methods of shoplifting? Or perhaps you have some thoughts on how supermarkets can better protect themselves against such cunning tactics? Share your stories and ideas in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Yes we have twice. Once Coles Dandenong, Victoria Hubby saw a guy put packaged meat down his pants Told the Security guard but he said he could do nothing about it! Why not? Fountain Gate when Coles first went to an open exit area. We were standing outside the shop. Saw someone exit with a full trolley of food without paying. Again staff said they could not stop it! Another Why not? A third Devonport Tasmania, lady scanning her own groceries, every so often she put one aside without scanning & got away with a lot. It MUST be stopped.

Apart from simple common theft, it is understandable with current times of living survival that some people are desperate for food due to lack of money and higher priced items BUT sadly for them, it is still theft and illegal.

I did see a teen on a bmx bike ride through my local Woolies, stuff his pockets with sweets,grab a bottle of coke and ride out through the wheelchair aisle. All while giving the only staff member to call him out, the bird! Arrogant little bugger knew they couldn't touch him and was definitely not poverty driven theft.

This isn't a new trick, staff in Nock and Kirby many years ago were warned about this behavior.
Thieves would carry in a wrapped box with a false bottom and place over the item they wanted. On leaving pick up their box, item inside and leave. One man caught with item hidden in his folded newspaper, and others under the baby in the pram.

Yes we have twice. Once Coles Dandenong, Victoria Hubby saw a guy put packaged meat down his pants Told the Security guard but he said he could do nothing about it! Why not? Fountain Gate when Coles first went to an open exit area. We were standing outside the shop. Saw someone exit with a full trolley of food without paying. Again staff said they could not stop it! Another Why not? A third Devonport Tasmania, lady scanning her own groceries, every so often she put one aside without scanning & got away with a lot. It MUST be stopped.
And yet if you or I tried this, we'd get stopped by security for sure!

I witnessed a lady park her trolley back at the specials section in the centre of Aldi , then she walked into the bottle shop area picked up 4 bottles walked back to her trolley then pushEd past all the people lined up and out the store , the cashier didn’t even ask to check her trolley , so unfair

I witnessed a lady park her trolley back at the specials section in the centre of Aldi , then she walked into the bottle shop area picked up 4 bottles walked back to her trolley then pushEd past all the people lined up and out the store , the cashier didn’t even ask to check her trolley , so unfair
The Aldi in my mother's local shopping centre has their most expensive alcohol locked in a cabinate and you have to ask for it.

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of seeing this John-Paul Drake make a fool of himself on television. Tries to be a comedian but falls waaay short.

I sincerely hope Drake's Supermarkets stays firmly put in South Australia. No need to infect the rest of the country!

Too late! The Drake Virus has spread to south east Queensland!

I did see a teen on a bmx bike ride through my local Woolies, stuff his pockets with sweets,grab a bottle of coke and ride out through the wheelchair aisle. All while giving the only staff member to call him out, the bird! Arrogant little bugger knew they couldn't touch him and was definitely not poverty driven theft.
Seriously; Australian teenagers should be regarded as adults with adults' responsibilities when they pass 14 years of age. That is the age of becoming an adult in what we regard as "primitive " societies, and when offence against the community's laws may well receive a spear through the leg, or a severe beating from the other adults in the "men's haus". If 12-year old Poms in the former British Navy could take on the responsibilities of being a midshipman...........

yes I have and only recently,,I was in the middle of my shopping in a Woolworths store when I saw 2 youths one with a hoodie on the other in a peaked cap go down my isle,,,seconds later they came back up,the guy in the hoodie had a take-away box of chicken / pieces,,couldn't see in box,,as he got closer to end of aisle up it went ,under his hoodie,,I went up to the service desk and tried to explain to the staff member ( non English ) what I just saw ,I pointed them out in the foyer but the staff member couldn't comprehend what I was telling him,,I walked away disgusted,,frustrating for me but serve Woolworths right for employing people who don't understand English enough

• Angry
Reactions: Macarj and Observer
Seriously; Australian teenagers should be regarded as adults with adults' responsibilities when they pass 14 years of age. That is the age of becoming an adult in what we regard as "primitive " societies, and when offence against the community's laws may well receive a spear through the leg, or a severe beating from the other adults in the "men's haus". If 12-year old Poms in the former British Navy could take on the responsibilities of being a midshipman...........
1000%

Reactions: zero 2
Could a symbol be added to merchandise which sounds an alarm if not cancelled by the cash register?
Some places, especially Coles, have the gates at the self serve check out that won't open if an alarm goes off until some one can check the groceries over, hence reducing/eliminating theft.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I agree that theft is unfair on all honest parties. However, there's always been theft from retail stores. I saw some statistics years ago that indicated the greatest losses came from administration errors, staff theft and customer theft (in descending order).
Maybe, if we all agreed that people on the dole were paid at 90% of the old age pension then we may not see as much pilfering.
There's always thieves, but I'm guessing that a large portion are driven to it through economic circumstances. Try living on $375 a week when you don't own a home. Desperate times.

yes I have and only recently,,I was in the middle of my shopping in a Woolworths store when I saw 2 youths one with a hoodie on the other in a peaked cap go down my isle,,,seconds later they came back up,the guy in the hoodie had a take-away box of chicken / pieces,,couldn't see in box,,as he got closer to end of aisle up it went ,under his hoodie,,I went up to the service desk and tried to explain to the staff member ( non English ) what I just saw ,I pointed them out in the foyer but the staff member couldn't comprehend what I was telling him,,I walked away disgusted,,frustrating for me but serve Woolworths right for employing people who don't understand English enough
Presumably Woolworths was paying him/her the correct award wage and had encouraged him/her to join the appropriate Trade Union. If not, tough luck Woolwworts.

I agree that theft is unfair on all honest parties. However, there's always been theft from retail stores. I saw some statistics years ago that indicated the greatest losses came from administration errors, staff theft and customer theft (in descending order).
Maybe, if we all agreed that people on the dole were paid at 90% of the old age pension then we may not see as much pilfering.
There's always thieves, but I'm guessing that a large portion are driven to it through economic circumstances. Try living on $375 a week when you don't own a home. Desperate times.
Where I live the median rent for a house is $550per week and unit $25 per week. There is unlikely to be any house renting below $440 or unit below $370.