Shocking wedding rules that infuriated guests–are they too harsh?

Weddings are often seen as a celebration of love and unity.

But for some couples, the desire to have the perfect day can lead to a set of rules that may leave guests like attendees at a strict gala than a joyful union.

This was the case for one couple whose 'Wedding Rules' have sparked a heated debate online over what is considered acceptable to ask of guests.

The couple in question laid out no less than 15 rules on their wedding invitations, ensuring that guests were well aware of the expectations placed upon them.

The rules covered everything from friendly reminders not to steal the show from the bride and groom to specific instructions on what to wear, how to behave around the photographer, and even tips on enjoying a drink or two.

Wedding rules.png
The controversial list of wedding rules was posted on an online forum with the caption, ‘If someone sent this to me I would simply just not go.’ Image Source: Reddit / @VieleAud

Rule No.1 was a clear directive: the day was only about the bride and groom. ‘This is (their) big day, not yours', the invitation stated, setting the tone for the rest of the guidelines.

Other rules that raised eyebrows included a ban on rearranging seating, a mandate to stay on your feet and dance rather than sitting all night.

The rules also included a rather blunt statement about the music selection: ‘If you can't handle the music being played, simply go home. This is a celebration, not a funeral,’ rule No.8 declared.

The invitation quickly made its way to online forums, where it attracted over 800 comments from users who were shocked, amused, and in some cases, appalled by the demands.

The list was described as ‘chaotic’, and some questioned the couple's maturity, while others stated outright that they would refuse to attend such a regimented event.

One user commented, ‘Most of these are reasonable, but the aggressive phrasing is quite off-putting.’

Another added, ‘People need to chill the f*** out about their wedding, it's not a televised coronation.’

The controversy didn't end there. The rules were later shared on social media, where many expressed outrage at the tone of the demands.

Comments ranged from calling the couple ‘insufferable’ to criticising the confrontational nature of the rules.

'It’s a wedding, not a prisoner prom at a jail,' one person quipped, highlighting the perceived severity of the guidelines.

Weddings are a time-honoured tradition, and each generation has its take on etiquette and expectations.

However, it's also important to remember that respect and consideration go both ways.

While it's reasonable for couples to request certain things from their guests, it's equally important to ensure that those requests don't cross the line into disrespect or create an unwelcoming atmosphere.

Are wedding requests getting out of hand? Check out this bride’s wedding request that has everyone confused and fuming!
Key Takeaways

• A couple's wedding invitation, listing 15 strict rules, raised eyebrows and sparked controversy online.
  • The rules outlined on the invitation range from dress code adherence to behaviour guidelines such as not making the day about anyone other than the bride and groom.
  • The prescriptive nature of the wedding rules prompted an online forum post with over 4,000 comments, many criticising the couple's approach.
We'd love to hear from our members about this. Have you ever received a wedding invitation with a list of rules? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have received invitations which had rules, but I knew how the two families went on and on and on. In some occasions, I think the couple or whoever is organising the event has the right to say something. However sticking it where they did, isn't right. And aiming it at everyone isn't right either. How about slipping it in the invitation, or sent separate or hand delivered. instead of on the invitation. Some of her rules are a little over the top. Had she had someone in a wheelchair, her not sitting all night is a bit inappropriate. Maybe she allowed them to come because she wanted lots of gifts. Maybe she did it because she HAD to invite those people. Some events you can't control because family says so and so has to be invitated. A girlfriend hired a room at a hotel/club, sent everyone she didn't want to there, appeared briefly, said sorry but this is how it is. Feed them, gave them a few drinks and went back to those she really wanted there. I'm a fence sitter.

Reactions: PattiB and what
I am pleased our pre-2000s weddings were all about wishing the bride and groom a wonderful life ahead not a stage show with multiple actors of various skills. I am sure they still exist.
Now seems more Bridezillas and certain countries as the US famed for can't help but create some form of loudness look at me, stuff..oh well

A wedding day is supposed to be a fun, joyous, happy day. Setting ridiculous rules would make the guests very uncomfortable and I’m sure they wouldn’t enjoy themselves. This would reflect on the whole wedding day. Most brides and grooms would be happy to celebrate the day with their nearest and dearest and if there was to be a few hiccups along the way it just adds to the memories of the day.

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
Not for me.
I think if I received an invitation like that, I would RSVP with a note attached suggesting they treat others the way they would want to be treated.
Looking at it another way, I wouldn't be surprised the rules were a deliberate way of making sure the guest list is kept to an absolute minimum as a cost cutting measure.
That way, people cannot complain if they were not invited.
Either way, I would keep a wide berth.

I don’t like being told what to do at the best of times and I would certainly take umbrage to these 15 wedding “rules”. I wouldn’t make a big deal of it though... I just wouldn’t bother attending.

I believe a reply to the invitation is necessary.

The requirements here are no more than what people would normally do at a wedding anyway & don't need to have it dished up in such a rude manner.