Shocking Twist: Fatal mushroom lunch cook was an 'experienced forager'

This month, we've sadly heard of an unfathomable tragedy that has befallen a family in Leongatha, Victoria.

Four family members fell ill after sharing a beef wellington lunch prepared by their 48-year-old relative, Erin Patterson. The officials confirmed the meal to be laced with deathcap mushrooms, known to be one of the most poisonous in the world.

Tragically, three of those members–Don and Gail Patterson, and Heather Wilkinson–have since passed away.

The investigation is still ongoing, but Detective Dean Thomas from Victoria Police revealed that Erin was a ‘person of interest’. Recently, a piece of unexpected information about Erin has come to light.

According to a family friend, Erin, who regularly picked wild mushrooms in Victoria's Gippsland region with her former in-laws, was 'very good at foraging' and identifying different mushroom varieties.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 091613.png
Officials have confirmed that the lunch was laced with deathcap mushrooms, also known as Amanita phalloides. Credit: Australian National Herbarium

'The Patterson family–including Erin and her estranged husband Simon–would pick mushrooms each year when they were in season...It's very common for people to go mushroom picking around that area.'

Adding to the case's complexity, Erin told detectives that she ate the meal as well and was hospitalised and transferred to Melbourne via ambulance.

It's claimed that her two children, who weren't home at the time of the fatal meal, ate the leftovers the following night without the mushrooms.

Erin wrote a statement to the police explaining that the mushrooms were a mixture of button mushrooms from a supermarket and dried mushrooms she purchased months ago from an unknown Asian grocery store.

In the same statement, she has also admitted to initially lying to police about a vegetable dehydrator that was found in a bin. Erin allegedly got rid of the dehydrator days after the fateful lunch, thinking she would be accused of poisoning her relatives and then lose custody of her children.

According to the family friend, however, Erin, ex-husband Simon, and the Wilkinson family were all used to foraging fungi.

A local man who runs many of the foraging courses around the area said there is a risk of picking the wrong species and reminded everyone there are ‘general rules’ to identifying toxic mushrooms.

'Death caps mainly grow under oaks, which are usually in parks. They [mushrooms that grow under oak trees] aren’t all bad, but they are easy to mistake on the untrained eye,’ the forager said.

Key Takeaways
  • Erin Patterson, the cook behind the toxic beef wellington that poisoned and led to the death of three of her relatives, was described to be an ‘experienced mushroom forager’.
  • Erin has denied any wrongdoing and claimed the mushrooms used were a mixture of button mushrooms from a supermarket and dried mushrooms she had purchased at an Asian grocery store in Melbourne.
  • Homicide detectives are investigating the 'unexplained' deaths, believed to have been caused by deathcap mushrooms, known to be one of the most poisonous species in the world.
  • Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the lunch during which the poisoning occurred to determine if the tragedy was accidental or suspicious. Erin was a 'person of interest' in the investigation due to her role as the cook of the meals.

We join the rest of Australia in sending our deepest condolences to those impacted by this tragedy.

Sponsored
Very susss indeed. I was given a big bowl of wild mushroom soup and fresh homemade bread at a friend of a friend's house a few years back, that I' do not expect to ever easily forget. It was a pretty wild mushroom meal that's for sure.

If you don't personally get them from the supermarket or see them prior to cooking watch out. You may get more than you expect.

I very seriously doubt that this woman did not know what she was doing, especially as her children were not there at the table. Very suss indeed!

Very susss indeed. I was given a big bowl of wild mushroom soup and fresh homemade bread at a friend of a friend's house a few years back, that I' do not expect to ever easily forget. It was a pretty wild mushroom meal that's for sure.

If you don't personally get them from the supermarket or see them prior to cooking watch out. You may get more than you expect.

I very seriously doubt that this woman did not know what she was doing, especially as her children were not there at the table. Very suss indeed!
Conspiracy theories here but maybe she did get sick and go to hospital, as like you say it would be easily checked, but obviously not as sick as everyone else. So if she is such an expert in wild mushrooms would she know how much she could eat to just make her a little sick and not fatally?

Conspiracy theories here but maybe she did get sick and go to hospital, as like you say it would be easily checked, but obviously not as sick as everyone else. So if she is such an expert in wild mushrooms would she know how much she could eat to just make her a little sick and not fatally?
I think this woman knew exactly what she was doing ..... this was no 'mistake'
I've known two cases where 'expert foragers" picked mushrooms which made them ill. One was my grandmother.

• Wow
Reactions: Jumping Jack Flash